R54 – MR from the DCMS, Response on the Motion on Use of the Whip in Horse Racing

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
R54 – Department for Culture, Media and Sport
Secretary of State ,Response on the Motion on Use of the Whip in Horse Racing

Response on the Motion on Use of the Whip in Horse Racing

Mr Speaker,

The House has expressed its concern about the use of the whip in horse racing and wishes me to respond. I have therefore written to the British Horseracing Authority expressing the views of the House as detailed in the motion. I have made four suggestions for amending the rules governing the use of the whip, and asked them to respond, though these four ideas are not exhaustive.

1. Reduction in the number of times the whip can be used in a race.
2. A ban on the use of the whip in the final furlong (closing stages).
3. Disciplinary sanctions be extended to the trainers of horses, given the link between trainer and rider.
4. A period of time where the horse who has been excessively whipped or otherwise whipped during a race, before they can race again.

I await a response from the British Horseracing Authority. It is my view that I would prefer changes to be made by them, rather than have to impose them by legislation
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
To be honest, I'd say a lot of the house showed a lack of concern with 13 people abstaining on top of 16 people voting Nay, but of course the motion did win and it's good to see the relevant Secretary of State responding to it regardless of my opinions on it. For the reason of how many people abstained on the motion, I would say that MR should go to a vote to ensure such action has a proper mandate, but of course I don't get to decide that.
BosslyGaming
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I commend my Rt Hon. Friend on his quick response to the motion and encourage the House (whether that be with or without division) to pass this report.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is a sensible and proportionate response to such a division result.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Or better still say "wait a second, this is a load a tripe and comes from people who haven't s clue in the world what they're going on about, who have probably never been anywhere near a horse let alone had anything to do with riding crops or riding in general.

I suppose at least some consolation can be taken in that the action is ultimately inaction because BHA should turn around and go "meh, nothing's changing"

And if the government wants to pay itself if the back for rapid action, where's the self condemnation for Mass inaction?
Last edited by Jammy Duel; 1 month ago
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well I'm glad to see the government being a bit more engaged with the House's activities is what I'll say here.
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
Well I'm glad to see the government being a bit more engaged with the House's activities is what I'll say here.
As much as I'd love to share the same optimism, the fact is that if it wasn't a CMS matter, then it's almost certain it would be ignored. The credit shouldn't be going to increased government activity, but for barnetlad's activity in (to an extent) carrying this government in terms of activity.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by The Mogg)
As much as I'd love to share the same optimism, the fact is that if it wasn't a CMS matter, then it's almost certain it would be ignored. The credit shouldn't be going to increased government activity, but for barnetlad's activity in (to an extent) carrying this government in terms of activity.
This is true, and I do also recognise barnetlad's activity and contribution to governmental work.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don't worry, you should have something Education-related to scrutinise very shortly!
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
Don't worry, you should have something Education-related to scrutinise very shortly!
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Mr Speaker,

As someone who opposed the initial motion I also stand opposed to this ministerial report and call upon my friend Baron of Sealand to give the house another vote when this report enters cessation.
LiberOfLondon
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I will abstain on this Ministerial Report due to its being a load of self congratulatory tripe about how much the House supports animal welfare
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Or if it were a CMS matter Barnetlad disagreed with, for instance a coherent position on animal rights and the restoration of, among other things, hunting

and my question to the house remains open and unanswered: does anybody else actually have any experience with riding crops or is it really only me that has ever been anywhere near a horse?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can I guess: teaching a load of common Sense stuff/stuff most don't need to know like taxes, along with several hours a week more state funded gay conversion therapy (to, not from) along with consistency in policy by making Ulster Scots compulsory in Scotland and Cornish compulsory in Cornwall?
Last edited by Jammy Duel; 1 month ago
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Can I guess: teaching a load of common Sense stuff/stuff most don't need to know like taxes, along with several hours a week more state funded gay conversion therapy (to, not from) along with consistency in policy by making Ulster Scots compulsory in Scotland and Cornish compulsory in Cornwall?
You forgot the hour a week all schools will be required to spend reading the Communist Manifesto.

Though you have a good point re Cornish, I'd honestly overlooked that...
LiberOfLondon
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Since compulsory veganism has been tried as a satirical response to the hunting ban, I feel inclined to mandate compulsory Old English lessons as a response to Mandatory Welsh.

*writes Bill*
SankaraInBloom
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Whilst the motion in question is one proposed by a MP of the party I represent in opposition, and I am glad to see the government responding to motions, I simply must object to the idea that HM Government should interfere with the running of sports by individual associations such as the BHA. If I were in charge of the BHA, I'd frankly tell them that horse racing can make these decisions itself, in conjunction with jockeys, horse trainers and breeders, who I daresay know a lot more about equine safety than your average Member of Parliament.
SankaraInBloom
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh and for the avoidance of doubt, I oppose this report and shall be voting against it.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Mr Speaker, in respect of the will of the House expressed in the motion i shall abstain should this statement enter division.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You forgot the hour a week all schools will be required to spend reading the Communist Manifesto.

Though you have a good point re Cornish, I'd honestly overlooked that...
Shows the amount of attention paid given it has been mentioned multiple times this term
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (214)
52.58%
No, they should still go ahead (57)
14%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (136)
33.42%

Watched Threads