Learning Enni
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
hi im thinking of doing computer science for a level. I got a 7 in GCSE last year, however a lot of people have told me it's incredibly difficult and that I shouldn't take it.
just want to ask anyone who is currently doing it if it really is very difficult and wether or not I should change my option
thanks
ibby68
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What? In my opinion it is only a bit harder than the gcse, but that is just my opinion. It definentlyy isn't "Extremely difficult".However if you don't like programming I wouldn't take it.
Learning Enni
Rep:
?
(Original post by ibby68)
What? In my opinion it is only a bit harder than the gcse, but that is just my opinion. It definentlyy isn't "Extremely difficult".However if you don't like programming I wouldn't take it.
we're you good at programming when doing GCSE. although I enjoy it, I'm not the greatest and have forgotten a lot since I did the GCSE a year early
ibby68
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Learning Enni)
we're you good at programming when doing GCSE. although I enjoy it, I'm not the greatest and have forgotten a lot since I did the GCSE a year early
Haha nope, I didn't have a clue. Also you need to remember it is not all programming, and the programming they will teach ,you will start from scratch. It really depends what you want to do. I would take it if you'd like to do something like that at uni,even though you dont need computer science at A level to do CS at uni, it will probably help a lot. It will work good with subjects llike maths and physics.
Learning Enni
Rep:
?
(Original post by ibby68)
Haha nope, I didn't have a clue. Also you need to remember it is not all programming, and the programming they will teach ,you will start from scratch. It really depends what you want to do. I would take it if you'd like to do something like that at uni,even though you dont need computer science at A level to do CS at uni, it will probably help a lot. It will work good with subjects llike maths and physics.
that's great I'm doing maths and physics aswell.thanks bro
ibby68
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
that's great I'm doing maths and physics aswell.thanks bro
Yeah np. That is a great combination. Honestly what I would've picked if I could pick again.
David Getling
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
hi im thinking of doing computer science for a level. I got a 7 in GCSE last year, however a lot of people have told me it's incredibly difficult and that I shouldn't take it.
just want to ask anyone who is currently doing it if it really is very difficult and wether or not I should change my option
thanks
Whether it's difficult or not is besides the point. The teaching of computer science in schools is a complete joke. If you choose this as a career option later on then you will be taught everything better and more rigorously at university: and they will start from scratch, so you won't be at a disadvantage. As someone with a M.Sc. in computer science, and 20 very successful years as a software developer, I know what I'm talking about.

Don't waste you time on this. Do maths or further maths instead, or if you are already doing these do chemistry of physics or Spanish.
ZdYnm8vuNR
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
People consider hard? Most people think its one of those 'easy' subjects that people take for easy grades...but its not that easy. I do think its probably the 2nd easiest Alevel I do (out of Maths, Further maths physics and comp sci.)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (134)
58.77%
No (52)
22.81%
Not sure (42)
18.42%

Watched Threads