Is the textbook wrong? Circular motion and mechanics

Watch
theeetimdoherty
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Question: A boy rides his cycle around a circular track with diameter 50m. The track is banked at 20 degrees to the horizontal. There is no force due to friction. By modelling the boy and his bike as a particle of 75kg, find the speed at which the cycle is moving.

Now my answer is 9.4 mps, however the textbook answer is 13.4 mps. The textbook's answer occurs when you take 50m to be the radius, which is false - the diameter is 50m, the radius is 25m. Did the examiner fall for their own trap? Or have I just misinterpreted the question.
David Getling
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by theeetimdoherty)
Question: A boy rides his cycle around a circular track with diameter 50m. The track is banked at 20 degrees to the horizontal. There is no force due to friction. By modelling the boy and his bike as a particle of 75kg, find the speed at which the cycle is moving.

Now my answer is 9.4 mps, however the textbook answer is 13.4 mps. The textbook's answer occurs when you take 50m to be the radius, which is false - the diameter is 50m, the radius is 25m. Did the examiner fall for their own trap? Or have I just misinterpreted the question.
We all sometimes forget to replace the diameter with the radius, so this is likely. It's even more likely if it's one of Edexcel's own text books, as they were rushed out of the printers. I sometimes wonder whether Pearson have heard of proof reading.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (145)
15.85%
Uncertainty around my education (149)
16.28%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (87)
9.51%
Isolating with family (63)
6.89%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (33)
3.61%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (80)
8.74%
Loneliness (93)
10.16%
Financial worries (38)
4.15%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (82)
8.96%
Exposure to negative news/social media (62)
6.78%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (83)
9.07%

Watched Threads