Shaw124
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’ve got offers from Southampton and King college London to study computer science. I liked Southampton more, due to the facilities and the nature of the university. However, as I’ve got a high household income without any financial support from my parents I’m going to be £2000 off of paying my rent if I were to go to Southampton, I currently live in west London meaning that if I went to kings I could easily travel there from home. I don’t want to do this as I would like to move out and I prefer Southampton. Southampton is A*AA while kings is only ABB.

I could be okay with going to kings if it meant I’d be much more employable, my dad has made lists of reasons I should go to kings, are the opportunities better if I go to kings college? Will I be more employable?

While I did like Southampton, this is my future I’m talking about and if I were able to come across better to employers I’d want to take that route.

Overall, I’m asking, is Southampton worth the A*AA? Will I be impressive to employers? Is it worth going to Southampton and working a part time job in order to pay my rent and eat.
neko no basu
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Shaw124)
I’ve got offers from Southampton and King college London to study computer science. I liked Southampton more, due to the facilities and the nature of the university. However, as I’ve got a high household income without any financial support from my parents I’m going to be £2000 off of paying my rent if I were to go to Southampton, I currently live in west London meaning that if I went to kings I could easily travel there from home. I don’t want to do this as I would like to move out and I prefer Southampton. Southampton is A*AA while kings is only ABB.

I could be okay with going to kings if it meant I’d be much more employable, my dad has made lists of reasons I should go to kings, are the opportunities better if I go to kings college? Will I be more employable?

While I did like Southampton, this is my future I’m talking about and if I were able to come across better to employers I’d want to take that route.

Overall, I’m asking, is Southampton worth the A*AA? Will I be impressive to employers? Is it worth going to Southampton and working a part time job in order to pay my rent and eat.
Hi,
I suppose in terms of employability, Kings is in central London so naturally you have access to all the opportunities provided there but if you live in London anyway then you can still access those opportunities when you graduate and go back home.

Southampton and Kings are both really good universities although I feel like generally speaking, Kings has a better reputation (maybe because it's in central London idk). This might just be my personal opinion but I feel like whenever I talk to people about Southampton/Kings, they regard Kings as being the better university. However, with that said, if Southampton's requirements are A*AA and Kings is AAB then surely that means that Southampton offers the better and more prestigious course?

Since you like both and Southampton has the higher entry requirements, why not put Southampton as your firm and Kings as your insurance?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (180)
15.33%
Uncertainty around my education (193)
16.44%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (115)
9.8%
Isolating with family (81)
6.9%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (45)
3.83%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (99)
8.43%
Loneliness (114)
9.71%
Financial worries (52)
4.43%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (109)
9.28%
Exposure to negative news/social media (86)
7.33%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (100)
8.52%

Watched Threads