GCSE Higher or Foundation

Watch this thread
Veneid
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I was always foundation level for science and maths, but my school put me in higher group in year 10.

I tried and failed (grade 3) in mockup exams.
Infact I didn't revised a lot, I don't like these subjects. I am currently doing second round of mockups.
My parents are very supportive and they said do what you think is right for you. Should I go with higher or tell the school to move me back to foundation for both maths and science? I am not going to take it in A levels. I am going to do media and graphics and and game design BTEC, I am very good at it getting 8 in mockups and the same for English.
Is it better to do higher and risk failing or getting a 4 or do foundation and have more chances of getting a 5. I just tried a maths foundation paper at homr from last year and I got 50 out of 80.
I am so confused, need to decide since exams are in May/June. I am good at critical writing, arts, graphics and like those subjects. I just can't help science and maths, it's just not for me. But then I think may be I should try higher since there's a reason school put me in higher.
Last edited by Veneid; 2 years ago
bribriaa
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Maths higher papers are harder and contain more content as well as more questions, Science higher (triple) papers contain more content (generally harder but not significantly so) and more questions to answer from what I've seen in my GCSEs.
To get a pass in Maths Foundation, you require to get a lot of marks- shown by the grade boundaries (AQA) https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/st...Y-NOV-2019.PDF or (EDEXCEL) https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...boundaries.pdf, however to pass a higher exam you require a lot less marks. This depends on you- do the 3 foundation papers, and the 3 higher papers from the same year UNDER EXAM CONDITIONS, and see what you get and what grade it might make your decision clearer.

As for science- do you mean science foundation OR combined science? Imo combined science is very much worth it- I did do triple however.

It seems to me that all you need is to pass these exams as you're not going to carry them over for further studies, which is fine, but higher grades in a range of subjects shows how well you can handle lots of information and etc.. which looks really good even for non-stem subjects.

(by triple science i mean separate sciences)
Last edited by bribriaa; 2 years ago
Veneid
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am doing combined science
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How was the OCR A-level Geography Paper 1 exam for you?

Great! (9)
14.06%
Quite well (30)
46.88%
Not so good (16)
25%
Terrible! (9)
14.06%

Watched Threads