Black box insurance

Watch
Mountaindew222
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I really don’t want black box insurance... but no black box is so darn expensive! Any tips to get cheap old fashioned regular insurance ! Thabjs
LTEcactus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mountaindew222)
I really don’t want black box insurance... but no black box is so darn expensive! Any tips to get cheap old fashioned regular insurance ! Thabjs
Change the mileage, ie go for 2750 instead of 2000 (for example) and add your parents as named drivers (making sure you are the main driver ofc). What car are you looking at?
Admit-One
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There is a stickied thread about car insurance here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4825738
Jess.1819
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not really any way tbh just look for an insurer that’s cheaper, I don’t have a black box and I’m with admiral, they charged similar to the quotes I was getting for a black box but I’m pretty sure that’s because I was insured with them for half a year on learner insurance before I passed my test.
Mountaindew222
Rep:
?
(Original post by LTEcactus)
Change the mileage, ie go for 2750 instead of 2000 (for example) and add your parents as named drivers (making sure you are the main driver ofc). What car are you looking at?
Just something original like a corsa, don’t want something massive but don’t want something tiny (ie a ka or fiat500)
Mountaindew222
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jess.1819)
Not really any way tbh just look for an insurer that’s cheaper, I don’t have a black box and I’m with admiral, they charged similar to the quotes I was getting for a black box but I’m pretty sure that’s because I was insured with them for half a year on learner insurance before I passed my test.
Do you recommend learners insurance or should I just go on my parents car?
nutz99
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As you have to have an experienced driver with you at all times it may not make any difference cost wise.

You do realise that black box insurance is for after you pass your test?
MrBiggs01010101
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My brother had a blackbox when he started driving. It was perfectly fine. As long as you obey the highway code, you're fine and save a lot of money.

Blackboxes, at least the one my brother had, have him a report and rated his driving out of 100 - this helped him become a better driver at the end of the day.

The insurance agency would only revoke your insurance if you consistently scored below 50. And honestly, it's hard to get below 50 even if you try to.

It's a good idea.
iMZee
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Disregard what MrBiggs has to say.

The concept of the blackbox is good but the implementation is flawed. Their database is often flawed with out of date speed limits for certain roads causing you panic when you receive bad score. With other boxes being out right faulty and providing incorrect results and the insurance company doing nothing about it. (I know 3 people who have this happen, two of which are still currently in the policy.) Their bb no longer tracks their miles, or any data apart from their location. Insurance company has been informed multiple times with no resolution.
Jess.1819
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It was good for me cause I had my own car that I was learning in, my parents were on the policy too, it brings the insurance down. I doubt price wise it would be much difference between them so just go with what suits your situation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (145)
30.08%
No (337)
69.92%

Watched Threads