Planning on going to china

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
On my gap year and Im planning to spend 4 months in SE Asia in countries such as Vietnam, Thailand and Cambodia. But i've always wanted to go to China and i feel like at a time like this it would be incredibly interesting. As the coronavirus only has a 0.2% mortality rate for those under 40. Am i being stupid by going to SE Asia and more specifically china?
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As a young person, the risk isn't so much that you'll catch it yourself as that you'll end up in an area that gets put under a lockdown and won't be able to leave for several weeks, maybe months.

Also, none of those countries have particularly strong or advanced healthcare systems, especially Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand, and if they're already strained by an epidemic, if you are one of the people who develops a more severe case, it's unlikely you'll get the level of care you need.

At this point in time, I certainly wouldn't travel to SE Asia myself. Why not choose a different part of the world to explore, like South America or somewhere in Africa? You'll have plenty of time to travel in the summer holidays during your degree, so you can go to SE Asia then, once this has died down.
Last edited by LeapingLucy; 1 month ago
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
If you get Coronavirus, then you may find yourself being mentioned on the news!
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have a friend in china who was on a gap year and she had to come back, not because she had the coronovirus but because her entire village was under lockdown and had to have tickets to leave. Rather than stay indoors 24/7 she came back instead.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
As a young person, the risk isn't so much that you'll catch it yourself as that you'll end up in an area that gets put under a lockdown and won't be able to leave for several weeks, maybe months.

Also, none of those countries have particularly strong or advanced healthcare systems, especially Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand, and if they're already strained by an epidemic, if you are one of the people who develops a more severe case, it's unlikely you'll get the level of care you need.

At this point in time, I certainly wouldn't travel to SE Asia myself. Why not choose a different part of the world to explore, like South America or somewhere in Africa? You'll have plenty of time to travel in the summer holidays during your degree, so you can go to SE Asia then, once this has died down.
Been pretty set on the whole Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia route for a while now and as a solo traveller, there are clear backpacker routes where you can meet other people, which probably isn't the case in Africa. Personally don't see the appeal of South America. Could do the Maccu Pichu route, but would prefer to do SE Asia. Also, I've always thought that South America was quite dangerous. Going in the next couple of weeks, but haven't actually booked anything! Also Coronavirus has made flights very cheap (one way to Bangkok for ~£125 on Skyscanner)!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by CoolCavy)
I have a friend in china who was on a gap year and she had to come back, not because she had the coronovirus but because her entire village was under lockdown and had to have tickets to leave. Rather than stay indoors 24/7 she came back instead.
I just wanted to see China on the way back from SE Asia really, but if this is the case its probably not worth it then. Hopefully the rest of SE Asia doesn't go into lockdown!
shebk
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm from China. Welcome to China.
Are you boy or girl? How old are you?
Coronavirus is mainly in Wuhan, and I guess it would end in March.
China is a very safe country, but South Asia may be dangerous , especially for females(I guess, I'm not sure)
Edminzodo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My friend was sent home from China, where she was studying abroad. The Foreign Office have listed it as a high risk country. I don't think they can stop you from going, but if you get into any trouble, there will be limited to no help. Also, there are mass closures so there may not be as much to do. I'd advise against it at present - you could still go to Taiwan if you wanted, though. Also, the Chinese visa is £150 if you want to spend more than a very short amount of time in one of the non-listed cities, and you will need an interview - I doubt they will grant you a visa at the moment.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
On my gap year and Im planning to spend 4 months in SE Asia in countries such as Vietnam, Thailand and Cambodia. But i've always wanted to go to China and i feel like at a time like this it would be incredibly interesting. As the coronavirus only has a 0.2% mortality rate for those under 40. Am i being stupid by going to SE Asia and more specifically china?
noooo nooooo u shud go thialand
WoodlandSorcerer
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well unplan to go there then! Not worth being stuck in some remote location for ages!
tpxvs
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Been pretty set on the whole Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia route for a while now and as a solo traveller, there are clear backpacker routes where you can meet other people, which probably isn't the case in Africa. Personally don't see the appeal of South America. Could do the Maccu Pichu route, but would prefer to do SE Asia. Also, I've always thought that South America was quite dangerous. Going in the next couple of weeks, but haven't actually booked anything! Also Coronavirus has made flights very cheap (one way to Bangkok for ~£125 on Skyscanner)!
Can you show us these £125 flights to Bangkok?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by tpxvs)
Can you show us these £125 flights to Bangkok?
Attachment 883304
Anonymous #4
Report 1 month ago
You need to be cautious in situations like this.
Anonymous #5
Report 1 month ago
Surely you could just wait a few months
MrBiggs01010101
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, you would be stupid to go. You want to take that risk?

Besides, everything in China and other Asian countries are closed. No tourist attractions, nothing. Many countries probably won't even let you in and you REALLY REALLY don't want to be stranded there like so many people were in China.
LeapingLucy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Vietnam has now stopped e-visas for British tourists, and is reportedly refusing entry even to UK nationals with valid visas. At this point, now that the UK has a significant outbreak, travel is going to become even harder - it's no longer just about the risk posed to you by travelling, but the risk you pose to other countries as you could potentially carry the virus there.

It's very unfortunate, but this is not a good period of time for international travel - we're going to see more and more travel restrictions put in place over the coming months, and as the epidemic in the UK gets worse, UK nationals will be banned from more and more countries.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Vietnam has now stopped e-visas for British tourists, and is reportedly refusing entry even to UK nationals with valid visas. At this point, now that the UK has a significant outbreak, travel is going to become even harder - it's no longer just about the risk posed to you by travelling, but the risk you pose to other countries as you could potentially carry the virus there.

It's very unfortunate, but this is not a good period of time for international travel - we're going to see more and more travel restrictions put in place over the coming months, and as the epidemic in the UK gets worse, UK nationals will be banned from more and more countries.
Thank you for this information
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago

sorry do you have a link to this?
LeapingLucy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
sorry do you have a link to this?
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (306)
34.27%
No (587)
65.73%

Watched Threads