Double Bereavement - Looking for advice

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm a Year 12 student, and this year I lost both of my parents to cancer. I don't even know if I really believe it yet, it just feels like some stupid joke, both funerals are done but I really don't know what to do. It's been really hard to cope with it all, I'm really struggling to motivate myself to actually keep doing anything and I miss them so much. I'm struggling to talk to any of my friends about it because they're trying to help but really don't know what to say and I'm just getting more upset because of it and I really hate how I'm feeling.
I don't really know what I hope to accomplish with this but I was kind of hoping to hear from someone else who has been through something similar and if anyone has any advice for coping?
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm really sorry for your losses. Are you in contact with the charity Winston's Wish? They provide so much support for young people in your position.

https://www.winstonswish.org/about-us/
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thank you, I have started getting in touch with them but I guess it's still too early on because not much has happened yet.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm so sorry for this. Do you have any (extended) family or a trusted adult that you can talk with or can help you with practical things like sorting bills and bank accounts? Unfortunately, these are aspects that need to be addressed fairly soon. Personally, deal with your grief how you want to deal with it. It will come and go, and there's no timescale on when you should start to feel better. If you are studying, are you getting support from teachers or a student counseller? Do the hospital or hospice that provided care have a bereavement suppory service or can they recommend anone?

There's more advice on here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=3562145
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm so sorry to hear that, it must have come as a big shock. I lost my dad to suicide in year 9, so I can understand how it must feel. I saw the school chaplain for a while, and we would just have friendly chats about things, which really helped. I'm not sure about any specific ones but there may be support groups that allow you to meet other teenagers in your situation and go on outings, etc, as meeting people your own age can be really beneficial. I'm in year 13 now and I still miss my dad, but I can assure you that the feeling of bereavement gets better with time, although the timescale is different for everyone. Take care
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (68)
61.82%
No (42)
38.18%

Watched Threads