Dinmaaa
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have a debate and presentation on Monday and Tuesday respectively and I'm so scared. I am a foundation student and this is my first time doing this. Who has been in this situation and has any tips to share with me on how they overcame theirs 😩
lynn19
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Tips of overcoming anxiety and fear during presentation

1. Put it in sections.
Break the task into manageable chucks instead
of dealing with it as a whole and letting your fear overwhelm you e.g.Introduction, Main points and the conclusion.

2. Have an outline and rehearse
Be familiar with what you want to say and try to avoid reading your script onstage. run through your entire presentation several times. to allow you to catch and adjust any awkward portions and insert or delete information where you find the presentation lacking.

3. Dress appropriately
Let the audience focus on your message as opposed to what you are wearing. That doesn’t mean that you shouldn't dress
your best. Be comfortable in your dressing.

4. Engage your audience.
Create a rapport with your audience. Let them think, feel and help you during your presentation
https://twitter.com/alexcarell17/sta...534265857?s=20
Last edited by lynn19; 1 month ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dinmaaa)
I have a debate and presentation on Monday and Tuesday respectively and I'm so scared. I am a foundation student and this is my first time doing this. Who has been in this situation and has any tips to share with me on how they overcame theirs 😩
The best tips I have are:
Know your subject. If you can talk to a friend about the topic for half an hour then you can easily get through a short presentation.
And
Admit to being nervous to your audience. They aren’t hostile and if you’re open with them that will make them even more sympathetic.

You’re not expected to be public speaker standard. You just need to get your information across clearly and in a logical way.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dinmaaa)
Practice, practice, practice.

Personally i dont fully script a presentation (in case i loose my spot, instead I try to remember 3-4 snappy points for each slide).

You naturally speak faster when nervous, do some breathing exercises and focus on controlling the pass.

Try to engage audience, some eye contact, some movement or gesturing etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (214)
52.58%
No, they should still go ahead (57)
14%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (136)
33.42%

Watched Threads