cruduxcruo9
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
When excess hot NaOH (aq) reacts, the first ring should break to COONa and ONa as in the mark scheme. But why cant the second ring form a phenol i.e OH gets added to it from NaOH? The mark scheme shows NaO added to the second ring.
Attached files
Tedman2018
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Contact me at tedlevi[email protected] for more information
David Getling
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by cruduxcruo9)
When excess hot NaOH (aq) reacts, the first ring should break to COONa and ONa as in the mark scheme. But why cant the second ring form a phenol i.e OH gets added to it from NaOH? The mark scheme shows NaO added to the second ring.
There's certainly no NaO involved in any of this. However the answer to your question is that OH- doesn't react with the benzene ring because it is a nucleophile, and reaction with the benzene ring requires an electrophile.
cruduxcruo9
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by David Getling)
There's certainly no NaO involved in any of this. However the answer to your question is that OH- doesn't react with the benzene ring because it is a nucleophile, and reaction with the benzene ring requires an electrophile.
Is NaO not added when an ester is hydrolysed in alkaline medium?

Why aren't the products given in the attached file below not formed? What makes the difference?
Attached files
Last edited by cruduxcruo9; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (214)
52.58%
No, they should still go ahead (57)
14%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (136)
33.42%

Watched Threads