Soggy_Dave
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi there. I start basic training in RAF Halton at the end of April. But I'm scared that if I really dont enjoy it in the first 2 weeks I'll have to stay until it finishes. Would I be able to drop out if I hate it that much or do I have to stay.
Chriswilson97
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
really dont enjoy it in the first 2 weeks I'll have to stay until it finishes. Would I be able to drop out if I hate it that much or do I have to stay.

(Original post by Soggy_Dave)
all You have to do I talk to yoyr
co At least he’ll be happy that you’re being honest
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Some nerves are understandable, but don't rush into a decision after a short time in training. BRTC is only 10 weeks and isn't a reflection on what your life in the RAF will be like; it's training and it's meant to be hard work! The motivation to get through is to think about what you can achieve once it's completed and you can start the role you joined up to do.

On the flip side, the joining process is made clear, there are plenty of videos and other information available showing the training, so you are informed on what you are signing up for. The RAF isn't for everyone, it takes serious commitment, so speak with your supervisors if you genuinely can't meet that requirement.
RAF_Adam
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Soggy_Dave)
Hi there. I start basic training in RAF Halton at the end of April. But I'm scared that if I really dont enjoy it in the first 2 weeks I'll have to stay until it finishes. Would I be able to drop out if I hate it that much or do I have to stay.
Hi

Short answer is yes, you can. However, as Surnia has also stated, don't be in a rush to drop out just because it's 'different' than what you're used to, it is for everyone. The main key is to work together and get through it, there's much, much more to life in the RAF than the first ten weeks.

Have you watched the video diaries from phase one training so you know what to expect? There's a wealth of info throughout about how to deal with it.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...4FE915BF943C59

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's also worth pointing out they won't let you just stop.

As in, you can say "I'm considering leaving" and they'll say fine, but give it another day or two, think about it, and make sure it's what you really want to do.

Just like you won't have rushed into the decision to join, they don't want you rushing into the decision to leave.
BeardedLoadie
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I just echo all the points already made.

Ultimately, you won't be "forced" to stay, but heavily encourage to stay, and rightly so.

The shock of capture is the first thing you'll feel. I did, as did everyone else in the room to a degree I'm sure. However, throw yourself into it with as much enthusiasm and positivity as you can. I left a new born child at home when I went to basic, so that was hard, but you just need to focus on what motivated you in the first place. You'll hit a point where you think "I want to leave" but just push through it, and be there for the other lads or girls, because they'll be feeling it too.

Any further questions I'll do my best to provide any info you need.

It's the start of a great chapter for you!
gcmdnm9297
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you're under 18 you can leave at any point. If you're over 18 you have to wait until day 28 to leave.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (99)
60.37%
No (34)
20.73%
Not sure (31)
18.9%

Watched Threads