how is Open university degree same as traditional university degree

Watch
ruman212
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm struggling to understand how you can get the same degree (maths degree specifically) as someone in a traditional uk university when typical students study a levels before university to do maths. whereas the maths degree on the open university has a module where it is equivalent to a grade C in gcse. Struggling to understand how they value the same.
Last edited by ruman212; 1 month ago
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
All degree's award in the UK are equivalent...but is an Oxford degree the same as my Nottingham degree, no. Dies that mean that my Nottingham degree has no value? No.

Open University degree's have value.. But as with any degree there are too many variables to assess the exact value. You could do your open university degree and be more successful then me with my Nottingham degree, or someone with an Oxbridge degree.....

People get jobs and are successful. Degrees just tick a box for more accesss to certain roles.
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ruman212)
I'm struggling to understand how you can get the same degree (maths degree specifically) as someone in a traditional uk university when typical students study a levels before university to do maths. whereas the maths degree on the open university has a module where it is equivalent to a grade C in gcse. Struggling to understand how they value the same.
Thanks for sharing

allow me to show you a video which I think explains something about the value of degrees
ruman212
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
What I get from the video is that you should learn the basics properly, in understabs but my question is more of how does the value of the degree be the same as a traditional university because as far as I'm aware you have a bit more complex or advanced modules to make up credits at a traditional university not just easy modules as many undergraduates starting a maths degree would most likely have done an a level so isn't it a bit unfair they do slightly/more harder modules than open university students for the maths degree as the "discovering mathematics" module is equivalent to GCSE grade C and uni traditional students I doubt would do something easy like that if they have done a levels. I plan to do the maths degree at open university but just feel like I'm missing something. No big deal I guess if I can't understand.
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
From a quick reading of the ou website mu123 is optional if you pass a maths test and you can skip to mst124... So AFAIK you wouldn't have to pay for a module that taught you nothing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (109)
28.02%
No (280)
71.98%

Watched Threads