Reluctant to accept conditional unconditional

Watch
TeaselTurtle
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I have been offered a conditional unconditional offer to study Geography BSc at Lancaster University, and although this was initially my favourite, this offer has altered my perspective.

I just wonder if the course is actually any good if Lancaster are handing out conditional unconditional offers left, right and centre. In my Geography class alone, 3 people have received the same offer from Lancaster including me. Doing some research, Lancaster’s own statistics show that their numbers of conditional unconditional offers have skyrocketed in recent years - surely this cannot be good?

It also makes me wonder whether I should have set my sights higher. I was always told to apply for Oxbridge, but I was certain that I couldn’t handle that kind of pressure and the environment there was too elitist for my liking. I have also applied to York, Manchester, Glasgow and Leeds.

Lancaster has a lovely campus, it’s situated near the Lake District, Eden Project North is planned to be there, the accommodation is cheap, it’s well served by public transport. And, at face value, the course seemed to be interesting too. But I just wonder if I should be pushing myself more. Anyone else discouraged by conditional unconditional offers?
Simbasoul
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Lancaster is a good uni, frequently ranked in the top 10 in the UK and top 100 in the world, despite not being an RG institution. I’m on my phone in the middle of something so haven’t looked at what the minimum predicted grades/standard offer is for the BSc in Geog but, assumably your predicted grades matched that, or their algorithm would have rejected you? I understand that you maybe think the lower offer somehow devalues the offer - but you had to have met the standard offer predicted grades to even be in that position - as assumably does everyone else in your school who got the unconditional. If you liked Lancaster, that shouldn’t change - think of it as a bonus rather than a failure on the university’s part.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I agree with the above - it's not like Lancaster will be giving offers to weak candidates - only the best applicants get unconditionals from unis like Lancaster but maybe your class has a lot of people predicted AAA/AAB?

I wouldn't hesitate to pick them if you like them - but don't be pressured by the conditional unconditional. Only Firm them if they are your first choice - if not, Firm somewhere else and maybe Insure Lancaster if they are your second choice.
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by TeaselTurtle)
I have been offered a conditional unconditional offer to study Geography BSc at Lancaster University, and although this was initially my favourite, this offer has altered my perspective.

I just wonder if the course is actually any good if Lancaster are handing out conditional unconditional offers left, right and centre. In my Geography class alone, 3 people have received the same offer from Lancaster including me. Doing some research, Lancaster’s own statistics show that their numbers of conditional unconditional offers have skyrocketed in recent years - surely this cannot be good?

It also makes me wonder whether I should have set my sights higher. I was always told to apply for Oxbridge, but I was certain that I couldn’t handle that kind of pressure and the environment there was too elitist for my liking. I have also applied to York, Manchester, Glasgow and Leeds.

Lancaster has a lovely campus, it’s situated near the Lake District, Eden Project North is planned to be there, the accommodation is cheap, it’s well served by public transport. And, at face value, the course seemed to be interesting too. But I just wonder if I should be pushing myself more. Anyone else discouraged by conditional unconditional offers?
Hello,

Although a lot of people get unconditional offers from Lancaster, a lot of people do not! I assumed coming here that everyone would but I was definitely wrong. I think one major factor is that the Lancaster Environment Centre is a big department and the Geography course takes on a lot of people.

Ultimately, every Geography degree at every university will be difficult and cover similar content and skills so I think it's important to focus on what you like about the university. You have applied to loads of good universities! It's also important to apply for a course that you feel like will give you opportunities outside of the degree in able to develop other skills, get experience, and develop your CV to help you to stand out against all other Geography graduates! Our location definitely helps as you said. I'm sure the Geography course here will be challenging in many aspects and you'll be taught but experts in their field. But also, how much you push yourself is up to you - and you'll definitely have the opportunities to do so here!

University is a lot more independent but there's a lot of ways you can push yourself at Lancaster, whether it's sustainability challenges, internships, dissertation projects, volunteering, etc. These can all complement your degree and help make you more employable, but these are all up to you ultimately.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions that can help you to decide/make some decisions.

Charlotte
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
TeaselTurtle
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Hello,

Although a lot of people get unconditional offers from Lancaster, a lot of people do not! I assumed coming here that everyone would but I was definitely wrong. I think one major factor is that the Lancaster Environment Centre is a big department and the Geography course takes on a lot of people.

Ultimately, every Geography degree at every university will be difficult and cover similar content and skills so I think it's important to focus on what you like about the university. You have applied to loads of good universities! It's also important to apply for a course that you feel like will give you opportunities outside of the degree in able to develop other skills, get experience, and develop your CV to help you to stand out against all other Geography graduates! Our location definitely helps as you said. I'm sure the Geography course here will be challenging in many aspects and you'll be taught but experts in their field. But also, how much you push yourself is up to you - and you'll definitely have the opportunities to do so here!

University is a lot more independent but there's a lot of ways you can push yourself at Lancaster, whether it's sustainability challenges, internships, dissertation projects, volunteering, etc. These can all complement your degree and help make you more employable, but these are all up to you ultimately.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions that can help you to decide/make some decisions.

Charlotte
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
This is extremely helpful. It’s so reassuring to get the view of someone with firsthand experience of the uni. I love Lancaster, I was just a little unsure, but this has put my mind at ease. Thank you, Charlotte!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (226)
61.08%
No (77)
20.81%
Not sure (67)
18.11%

Watched Threads