The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Mphil Management Cambridge 2020-2021

Hi! I'm new here and I just want to start a thread for this year's Mphil Management at Cambridge. Has anyone heard back from this programme? I submitted my application two days ago, and it seems that the application deadline is in only a few hours, so probably they'll be giving some offers soon.
Heard a lot about how competitive it is recently, which makes me very nervous. And this is the only programme I've applied to... (not for the sake of getting to know Sister Milk Tea tho - just kidding... if you know who I'm referring to :wink:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I haven’t heard anything yet, but my application changed to “Awaiting approval by GAO” earlier this week. I did apply early December though
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
Original post by benjammy
I haven’t heard anything yet, but my application changed to “Awaiting approval by GAO” earlier this week. I did apply early December though

hey thanks for the reply - that's good news! keep us updated:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by meeeh_raaah
hey thanks for the reply - that's good news! keep us updated:smile:

an offer came through today which is great news! let me know once you've heard back too!!:smile:
Reply 4
an offer came through today which is great news! let me know once you've heard back too!!:smile:

Wow congratulations!!!
My application also changed yesterday to ‘Awaiting approval by GAO’. I applied 18th Jan.
Reply 6
Original post by aj_thompson10
My application also changed yesterday to ‘Awaiting approval by GAO’. I applied 18th Jan.

that's so quick! really happy for you:smile: do you mind sharing a bit about your background?
Reply 7
I got an offer today (March 13th), and applied on Jan 30th.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!
(edited 4 years ago)
Congrats on getting the offers! I'm a current MPhil Management student so I'm happy to answer any of your questions if any :biggrin:
Reply 9
That’s the course like? What’s the best and worst parts of it?
That’s the course like? What’s the best and worst parts of it?

I have a very positive experience and it's been the most interesting year so far!

Course content:
Best part
1. The courses are introductory courses and do not assume any prior knowledge in each of the courses so the pace is good for people with no prior background.
2. All of the professors are quite friendly, supportive, and great overall!
3. The group works are very fun if you get along with your team.

Worst part
1. If you studied similar courses in any of the compulsory courses, then you might find the courses not too challenging but there's always room to go above the basics if you ask more from the lecturers.

Outside course content:
Best parts are the people and the Cambridge experience.

1. Cohorts are very smart, friendly, supportive, humble, and collegial coming from many different countries. A small cohort of 40-50 means that you get to know other students and professors quite well. It's also easier to organise class-level events like trips, college formal swaps (we organised >6 college formals with high turnouts!), and pubs.
2. Diversity of people inside and outside class and college means more exposure to different degrees programmes
3. The Cambridge Experience - College system (formals, sports at the college-level), beautiful Judge Business School, awesome community.
4. It's not London, Cambridge is a beautiful, quiet, safe town. You can always work in London after graduating
5. If you manage your time well, there's a lot of opportunities to get involved in societies and events
6. Unlike other business schools, the cohort is more diverse in terms of industry aspirations besides consulting and banking

Worst part:
1. If you are assigned to colleges and live far from the centre, then you could spend some time walking or cycling. I had to cycle everyday uphill when I go back so I guess it's a good exercise but I never get used to it...
2. For some people, if you're used to London's diversity of food and events, then you might find there are not as many choices in Cambridge. I personally find Cambridge quite decent!

Happy to answer any more specific questions if you guys have any! Best of luck to the ones waiting, last year some people received offers in April! Due to the current situation of the pandemic, decisions might slow down...
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by JoBy1NoBa
I have a very positive experience and it's been the most interesting year so far!

Course content:
Best part
1. The courses are introductory courses and do not assume any prior knowledge in each of the courses so the pace is good for people with no prior background.
2. All of the professors are quite friendly, supportive, and great overall!
3. The group works are very fun if you get along with your team.

Worst part
1. If you studied similar courses in any of the compulsory courses, then you might find the courses not too challenging but there's always room to go above the basics if you ask more from the lecturers.

Outside course content:
Best parts are the people and the Cambridge experience.

1. Cohorts are very smart, friendly, supportive, humble, and collegial coming from many different countries. A small cohort of 40-50 means that you get to know other students and professors quite well. It's also easier to organise class-level events like trips, college formal swaps (we organised >6 college formals with high turnouts!), and pubs.
2. Diversity of people inside and outside class and college means more exposure to different degrees programmes
3. The Cambridge Experience - College system (formals, sports at the college-level), beautiful Judge Business School, awesome community.
4. It's not London, Cambridge is a beautiful, quiet, safe town. You can always work in London after graduating
5. If you manage your time well, there's a lot of opportunities to get involved in societies and events
6. Unlike other business schools, the cohort is more diverse in terms of industry aspirations besides consulting and banking

Worst part:
1. If you are assigned to colleges and live far from the centre, then you could spend some time walking or cycling. I had to cycle everyday uphill when I go back so I guess it's a good exercise but I never get used to it...
2. For some people, if you're used to London's diversity of food and events, then you might find there are not as many choices in Cambridge. I personally find Cambridge quite decent!

Happy to answer any more specific questions if you guys have any! Best of luck to the ones waiting, last year some people received offers in April! Due to the current situation of the pandemic, decisions might slow down...

This is so great to hear, thank you so much for your detailed reply!

How have you been finding the workload? I heard that it is quite intensive (e.g. I'm scared that during the Oct-Dec season, we're all going to be so overwhelmed with job applications and the academic workload, yet both are so important). Also, how is the career services/support provided by JBS and the university like?
Original post by sseoi
This is so great to hear, thank you so much for your detailed reply!

How have you been finding the workload? I heard that it is quite intensive (e.g. I'm scared that during the Oct-Dec season, we're all going to be so overwhelmed with job applications and the academic workload, yet both are so important). Also, how is the career services/support provided by JBS and the university like?

I personally find it quite manageable which is why I had time to do college-level sports and other class events! It really depends how much effort you want to put in to do the essential/extra readings etc...

There are 4 compulsory courses in Oct-Dec and you choose 2 electives in term 1 or 2 (though you can always audit other courses). It's definitely manageable in term 1 if you plan your time and electives carefully for job hunting. My advice is to start planning a list of companies and their deadlines before the course starts so you don't have to spend time writing CV/Cover letter/Application letters during term time.

We do not have a dedicated career service team for our programme, so support is mostly provided by central university career service if you seek. However, there's usually a lack of consulting availability so you should set appointments as early as possible. Also, do not have a high expectation from career services from any university as you would be the one doing most of the work. However, the Cambridge career website has lots of materials, advices, and career events.
Reply 13
I personally find it quite manageable which is why I had time to do college-level sports and other class events! It really depends how much effort you want to put in to do the essential/extra readings etc...

There are 4 compulsory courses in Oct-Dec and you choose 2 electives in term 1 or 2 (though you can always audit other courses). It's definitely manageable in term 1 if you plan your time and electives carefully for job hunting. My advice is to start planning a list of companies and their deadlines before the course starts so you don't have to spend time writing CV/Cover letter/Application letters during term time.

We do not have a dedicated career service team for our programme, so support is mostly provided by central university career service if you seek. However, there's usually a lack of consulting availability so you should set appointments as early as possible. Also, do not have a high expectation from career services from any university as you would be the one doing most of the work. However, the Cambridge career website has lots of materials, advices, and career events.

Thank you, appreciate it!
Congrats on getting the offers! I'm a current MPhil Management student so I'm happy to answer any of your questions if any :biggrin:

Hi!

How’s the employability on this course? They don’t publish any stats about how many people go to each company so I was wondering how your year did on the whole? Specifically with consulting jobs, any success with MBB for example?

And do you have any sense of how it compares to somewhere like LBS for example (in terms of consulting employment)

Thanks for your help! :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Ageorgiou1
Hi!

How’s the employability on this course? They don’t publish any stats about how many people go to each company so I was wondering how your year did on the whole? Specifically with consulting jobs, any success with MBB for example?

Thanks for your help! :smile:

Hi! I don't know about everyone's situation since there's 47 of us this year. Based on my limited knowledge, my class had offers from Bain, BCG, Parthenon, Accenture Strategy, Revolut, Amazon, Tesla, Huawei, Deloitte, Bank of England, Citi, JP Morgan, startups, boutique consulting, governments, law, boutique IBD/trading/banking, family businesses, pharma, FMCC, and some received very prestigious scholarships for further degrees!

As you can, we are quite a diverse bunch of people entering different industries! Some people have started to apply for roles only recently but I'm sure they'll be fine!

Regarding LBS, I also did my bit of research about their programmes last year and found out they have a very strong career team that helps students to secure roles in consulting and banking firms of all sizes. I do see a clear difference between LBS and CJBS, most students from LBS enter the consulting and banking sectors so I assume LBS is very strong in those sectors. On the other hand, CJBS does not lay out a preset path for you and lets their students follow their own passion. So I think consulting employability from LBS definitely wins in terms of absolute number of grads entering the sector but they have 200+ students in their MiM and 60+ students in their MAM.
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi! I don't know about everyone's situation since there's 47 of us this year. Based on my limited knowledge, my class had offers from Bain, BCG, Parthenon, Accenture Strategy, Revolut, Amazon, Tesla, Huawei, Deloitte, Bank of England, Citi, JP Morgan, startups, boutique consulting, governments, law, boutique IBD/trading/banking, family businesses, pharma, FMCC, and some received very prestigious scholarships for further degrees!

As you can, we are quite a diverse bunch of people entering different industries! Some people have started to apply for roles only recently but I'm sure they'll be fine!

Wow sounds like you all did great!

You mentioned you were quite far out, I’ve been offered a place at Homerton College which looks amazing but I understand is one of the furthest away, how did you find being away from the main cluster? Did it impact your interactions with people from other college or the feel of being part of the Cambridge community in any way? It was it the same experience just with a longer commute?

Wow sounds like you all did great!

You mentioned you were quite far out, I’ve been offered a place at Homerton College which looks amazing but I understand is one of the furthest away, how did you find being away from the main cluster? Did it impact your interactions with people from other college or the feel of being part of the Cambridge community in any way? It was it the same experience just with a longer commute?

I just answered your 2nd question about LBS above!

Homerton is amazing! We had a class formal there, and the hall and bar are one of the best that I have been to! I suggest you to do a class formal there as each person can bring like 10 guests when you start!

If you cycle, it's only 10mins from Homerton to Judge Business School! I live 15 mins from Judge by cycling, and it doesn't really make a difference to be honest!

Everyone usually interacts with their class, department, colleges, and societies. Being a little far from the city center doesn't really have an impact on your experience as everything is really close! As I said, cycling from Homerton to anywhere is usually less than 20 mins!
(edited 4 years ago)
I just answered your 2nd question about LBS above!

Homerton is amazing! We had a class formal there, and the hall and bar are one of the best that I have been to! I suggest you to do a class formal there as each person can bring like 10 guests when you start!

If you cycle, it's only 10mins from Homerton to Judge Business School! I live 15 mins from Judge by cycling, and it doesn't really make a difference to be honest!

Everyone usually interacts with their class, department, colleges, and societies. Being a little far from the city center doesn't really have an impact on your experience as everything is really close! As I said, cycling from Homerton to anywhere is usually less than 20 mins!

Thanks for your quick responses, it’s really helpful to hear this stuff from someone on the inside!
Thanks for your quick responses, it’s really helpful to hear this stuff from someone on the inside!

Happy to help! Regarding the Cambridge experience, it really depends on how much a person tries to make out of it. 9 months are really short so I encourage you to really enjoy it! Like grabbing lunch with classmates in different colleges and doing college-level sports!
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest