The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Mphil Management Cambridge 2020-2021

Scroll to see replies

Original post by leeeeeoli1
Hi JoBy1NoBa
I just switched to "Awaiting approval by GAO - Awaiting approval by the Central Graduate Admissions Office". Is this one of the later steps in the process?

Also are most offers given with a condition First in an undergraduate degree?

Original post by otahl
Just switched to under review by the degree committee! anyone else??

Hi guys, congratz! From what I remember, most people hear back with a conditional offer in the next couple of days after reaching this stage. The condition is a 1st class degree yes, unless there are special circumstances!
(edited 4 years ago)
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by JoBy1NoBa
Hi guys, congratz! From what I remember, most people hear back with a conditional offer in the next couple of days after reaching this stage. The condition is a 1st class degree yes, unless there are special circumstances!

Hopefully with Coronavirus they might be more lenient! Did anyone you know get in despite missing the First? I go to Oxford and hoping to get a First but always hard to tell!
Original post by leeeeeoli1
Hopefully with Coronavirus they might be more lenient! Did anyone you know get in despite missing the First? I go to Oxford and hoping to get a First but always hard to tell!

None that I know of! If you're not sure about achieving a First, you should give them a heads up first! Hope you'll get it though :smile:
Reply 43
Scholarships in Cambridge are provided at the university level and college level. I have not much info about this, but there were Gates scholars in our programme and quite some have full scholarships from their home governments. On the other hand, I know some people in my class received full scholarships to pursue an additional master at ___ (think of Harvard, Stanford level)!

Is it possible to elaborate on how scholarships were received for additional masters? Is the MPhil seen in good light in scholarship applications for further study? Would this be likely for further study in the UK as well per your experience? Thanks for the help!
Original post by Kokopo
Is it possible to elaborate on how scholarships were received for additional masters? Is the MPhil seen in good light in scholarship applications for further study? Would this be likely for further study in the UK as well per your experience? Thanks for the help!

Hi! Different scholarships look for different scholar characteristics so I cannot say from their perspective! I think it's more about the applicant's motivation, though his/her prior education background could be a differentiator so having a Cambridge degree might help but he/she would need explain his/her motivation for another master.
Reply 45
Congrats on getting the offers! I'm a current MPhil Management student so I'm happy to answer any of your questions if any :biggrin:

Hi, hope you're doing well! I do have a few questions about the programme :smile:

1) I know that some schools use real-life business cases as the main backbone of all classes, whereas other schools approach classes in a more textbook/theoretical way- I was wondering whether MPhil Management uses the case method teaching approach?
2) I am a life science undergraduate student, and I'm a bit worried that the short 9-month programme will be too short and won't be able to equip me with the skill set and business knowledge that I need to pursue a career in management consulting. Do students from a non-finance/economic background struggle with post-graduation employment?
3) I was wondering around what % of the class receives job offers by the time they graduate? (I completely understand if you don't have the answer to this question- it is very specific haha)

Thank you!! :smile:
Original post by otahl
Hi, hope you're doing well! I do have a few questions about the programme :smile:

1) I know that some schools use real-life business cases as the main backbone of all classes, whereas other schools approach classes in a more textbook/theoretical way- I was wondering whether MPhil Management uses the case method teaching approach?
2) I am a life science undergraduate student, and I'm a bit worried that the short 9-month programme will be too short and won't be able to equip me with the skill set and business knowledge that I need to pursue a career in management consulting. Do students from a non-finance/economic background struggle with post-graduation employment?
3) I was wondering around what % of the class receives job offers by the time they graduate? (I completely understand if you don't have the answer to this question- it is very specific haha)

Thank you!! :smile:

Hi!
1) We do use real-life past case studies in some of the classes. The professors usually give a small case study and real-life examples to back up theoretical aspects.
2) This really depends on how well you're prepared to pursue consulting prior you join the programme on your own. This is because the UK full-time recruiting starts in September and finishes like December, so you would be interviewing before the relevant classes are taught/finished. The relevant classes are Marketing and Strategy (the professor is an ex-McKinsey). The classmates who break into top consulting firms are the ones with prior consulting experience and/or already practised how to crash the case interviews. If you're not prepared for the online tests, CVs, Cover letter, and case studies, then it's very hard. If you're looking for internships or abroad offices with different recruiting timelines, then you might have more time to prepare and digest the course materials.
3) I wrote a post about the offers that some of the classmates received. Don't know everyone's situation though...
Any thoughts on if Cambridge will be online/in-person this Fall? And will they allow people to defer if online?
I’m worried that it’ll be online since Manchester have said everything there will be... I think lot of current undergraduates will take a gap year if they say it’s all online, and a lot of us masters’ applicants will simply choose not defer a year and hope for the best (whether they guarantee us a place for 2021 who knows). Economically it’d be a nightmare if they choose to put everything online and really undermines the ‘Cambridge experience’. In all honesty I think it’s unlikely it’ll all be online, most likely for one year courses such as this one they decide to have the start date be in January rather than September but that’s speculative of course (or allow us to defer a year)
Reply 49
Hi!
1) We do use real-life past case studies in some of the classes. The professors usually give a small case study and real-life examples to back up theoretical aspects.
2) This really depends on how well you're prepared to pursue consulting prior you join the programme on your own. This is because the UK full-time recruiting starts in September and finishes like December, so you would be interviewing before the relevant classes are taught/finished. The relevant classes are Marketing and Strategy (the professor is an ex-McKinsey). The classmates who break into top consulting firms are the ones with prior consulting experience and/or already practised how to crash the case interviews. If you're not prepared for the online tests, CVs, Cover letter, and case studies, then it's very hard. If you're looking for internships or abroad offices with different recruiting timelines, then you might have more time to prepare and digest the course materials.
3) I wrote a post about the offers that some of the classmates received. Don't know everyone's situation though...

Thanks for the very detailed reply!! Hope you don't mind me asking, just out of curiosity, what are your next steps? Will you be pursuing another degree or have you decided to start working? :smile:
Original post by usernombre1234
Any thoughts on if Cambridge will be online/in-person this Fall? And will they allow people to defer if online?

Original post by benjammy
I’m worried that it’ll be online since Manchester have said everything there will be... I think lot of current undergraduates will take a gap year if they say it’s all online, and a lot of us masters’ applicants will simply choose not defer a year and hope for the best (whether they guarantee us a place for 2021 who knows). Economically it’d be a nightmare if they choose to put everything online and really undermines the ‘Cambridge experience’. In all honesty I think it’s unlikely it’ll all be online, most likely for one year courses such as this one they decide to have the start date be in January rather than September but that’s speculative of course (or allow us to defer a year)

They're trying their best to make a safe learning environment for everyone on campus, but they must follow government regulations so it's outside of their control. A message from Professor Stephen J Toope Vice-Chancellor on 14th May.

"The impact of social distancing is likely to mean that we will not be able to deliver all our teaching and learning as we usually do. Although we will work hard to ensure that students can benefit from the in-person experiences that enrich student life at Cambridge, some teaching may need to be delivered on-line. However teaching is delivered, we will do all we can to ensure that the University continues to provide students with the highest quality education and offers the best possible experience during their time in Cambridge."

I don't think deferral will be possible because it's unfair for next year's applicants as they will be competing for a reduced number of spaces.

Original post by otahl
Thanks for the very detailed reply!! Hope you don't mind me asking, just out of curiosity, what are your next steps? Will you be pursuing another degree or have you decided to start working? :smile:

I will start working soon in one of my dream firms. After 2+ years, I might pursue an MBA and then maybe co-found a venture or return to the corporate world :wink:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 51
Is it advisable to pursue m phil management this year ? I am concerned about the career prospects after graduating due to this pandemic.i wanted to know whether the 2 year post study work visa has been introduced in uk or not? Also i wanted to know how many students from india pursue m phil management in a year?has anyone from the state of tamil nadu in india got the conditional offer of admission this year?
Original post by jayakum
Is it advisable to pursue m phil management this year ? I am concerned about the career prospects after graduating due to this pandemic.i wanted to know whether the 2 year post study work visa has been introduced in uk or not? Also i wanted to know how many students from india pursue m phil management in a year?has anyone from the state of tamil nadu in india got the conditional offer of admission this year?

Hi, it's ultimately your decision taking account your context. I think students who are due to graduate this year are most affected than next year because, by the end of this year, things will get better (or worse). If you study 2020-2021, you could potentially ride out the recession? No one knows for sure how the job market will look like in 1 year time, but one thing for sure, the market right now doesn't look good for those who haven't secured a contract yet. There's only 1 incredibly bright classmate from India this year and he has a great future ahead in the UK :smile:
There were some misleading news headlines about the teaching methods. Here is the most accurate info!
"Cambridge Judge Business School will be open to welcome students to Cambridge, offering face to face interactive sessions with leading academics which will be blended with online provision, to safeguard wellbeing."
https://www.jbs.cam.ac.uk/about-us/covid19-info/
Reply 54
There were some misleading news headlines about the teaching methods. Here is the most accurate info!
"Cambridge Judge Business School will be open to welcome students to Cambridge, offering face to face interactive sessions with leading academics which will be blended with online provision, to safeguard wellbeing."
https://www.jbs.cam.ac.uk/about-us/covid19-info/

Thanks for the accurate info! I was wondering whether most classes for MPhil in Management students are in the form of large lectures or small classes? Just trying to gauge around how much time we'll be spending online vs. in-classroom :smile: Thank you!!
Original post by otahl
Thanks for the accurate info! I was wondering whether most classes for MPhil in Management students are in the form of large lectures or small classes? Just trying to gauge around how much time we'll be spending online vs. in-classroom :smile: Thank you!!

During the normal circumstances, all classes/tutorials are in the form of large lectures. Electives are usually smaller like around 10-20. Usually, the lectures take place in large lecture halls that fit in 130+ people so the lecture is pretty big for the cohort sizes.

The admission team should confirm the exact details before the offer deadline July/August (if I remember correctly) before you accept/decline the offer...
Does anybody know what the pre-term reading they ask you to do is?
Congrats on getting the offers! I'm a current MPhil Management student so I'm happy to answer any of your questions if any :biggrin:

Hi, I'm wondering do I have a chance if I submit application while completing undergrad (expecting to graduate next semester)?
During the normal circumstances, all classes/tutorials are in the form of large lectures. Electives are usually smaller like around 10-20. Usually, the lectures take place in large lecture halls that fit in 130+ people so the lecture is pretty big for the cohort sizes.

The admission team should confirm the exact details before the offer deadline July/August (if I remember correctly) before you accept/decline the offer...

Hey JoBy1NoBa! Hope you are doing well at Cam during these weird times & that you are close to successfully finishing the MPhil. Been lurking and following your posts but finally have some questions since I was accepted to start in October.

What is does your daily workload look like? (How many hrs/day do you spend studying)

How quantitatively rigorous are the core modules (& electives)? Is knowing things such as integration integral (ha) to good performance in the course? I’m a little afraid of this since I have some background, such as basic calculus, but nothing compared to, say, students coming out of a STEM undergrad.

Is it impossibly hard to achieve a 1st?

How exactly do the workshops/consulting project function? How ‘hands-on’ are these things & how large are the groups for them?

Hope you can help shed some light on these questions of mine & answer what the JBS website cannot! Thanks for all the useful info so far in this thread & others; I think I speak for many of us.

Best,

C
Original post by wandamyshara
Hi, I'm wondering do I have a chance if I submit application while completing undergrad (expecting to graduate next semester)?

Hi, the programme is designed for final year students and recent grads with less than one year of experience! The application cycle for October 2020 start is closed so I guess you would have to wait for September 2020 to apply for the October 2021 start.

Original post by CamMiM20-21
Hey JoBy1NoBa! Hope you are doing well at Cam during these weird times & that you are close to successfully finishing the MPhil. Been lurking and following your posts but finally have some questions since I was accepted to start in October.

What is does your daily workload look like? (How many hrs/day do you spend studying)

How quantitatively rigorous are the core modules (& electives)? Is knowing things such as integration integral (ha) to good performance in the course? I’m a little afraid of this since I have some background, such as basic calculus, but nothing compared to, say, students coming out of a STEM undergrad.

Is it impossibly hard to achieve a 1st?

How exactly do the workshops/consulting project function? How ‘hands-on’ are these things & how large are the groups for them?

Hope you can help shed some light on these questions of mine & answer what the JBS website cannot! Thanks for all the useful info so far in this thread & others; I think I speak for many of us.

Best,

C

Congrats on the offer! Nice username :biggrin:

For the workload, there wasn't a typical week because I focused more on my extracurricular, the Cambridge experience, and job hunt so my weekly workload varies a lot and is not representative! 8-10 hours lecture, 1-4 hours lecture prep (essential readings, case study), 2-4 hours tutorial, 2-6 hours tutorial exercise prep, 1-2 hours guest speakers/workshops, 1-20 hours group meetings & projects (we have groups projects in all semesters and these are the most fun!)

Don't worry, many of us don't come from STEM and they tend to do well!

We have distinctions (75%+ average), and this is very very hard to achieve, usually, there are 1-3 people achieving this. 70-74.99% is a pass with commendation. 60-69.99% is a pass and less than 60% is a fail.

The consulting project is very fun and very hand-on (even though we did this virtually). We manage the full engagement with the clients, and there is a lot of freedom to explore how to most effectively create deliverables. Imagine you're an independent consultant with a team of 4-5 (likely you haven't worked with), that's how it looks like. The problems you face within the team and with the clients are very much real-world experience in consulting (entry-level don't usually lead engagements with clients), so this is an opportunity to really experience the pros and cons of being a consultant in a safe environment as students.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending