Mphil Management Cambridge 2020-2021

Watch
wandamyshara
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by JoBy1NoBa)
Hi, the programme is designed for final year students and recent grads with less than one year of experience! The application cycle for October 2020 start is closed so I guess you would have to wait for September 2020 to apply for the October 2021 start.

Congrats on the offer! Nice username

For the workload, there wasn't a typical week because I focused more on my extracurricular, the Cambridge experience, and job hunt so my weekly workload varies a lot and is not representative! 8-10 hours lecture, 1-4 hours lecture prep (essential readings, case study), 2-4 hours tutorial, 2-6 hours tutorial exercise prep, 1-2 hours guest speakers/workshops, 1-20 hours group meetings & projects (we have groups projects in all semesters and these are the most fun!)

Don't worry, many of us don't come from STEM and they tend to do well!

We have distinctions (75%+ average), and this is very very hard to achieve, usually, there are 1-3 people achieving this. 70-74.99% is a pass with commendation. 60-69.99% is a pass and less than 60% is a fail.

The consulting project is very fun and very hand-on (even though we did this virtually). We manage the full engagement with the clients, and there is a lot of freedom to explore how to most effectively create deliverables. Imagine you're an independent consultant with a team of 4-5 (likely you haven't worked with), that's how it looks like. The problems you face within the team and with the clients are very much real-world experience in consulting (entry-level don't usually lead engagements with clients), so this is an opportunity to really experience the pros and cons of being a consultant in a safe environment as students.
Alright thank you for the information, I'm preparing for GRE right now. Do you know the average GRE score in your cohort?
JoBy1NoBa
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by wandamyshara)
Alright thank you for the information, I'm preparing for GRE right now. Do you know the average GRE score in your cohort?
Unfortunately, I don't have this data, you could you use the MBA's range of scores as a reference point
otahl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi, the programme is designed for final year students and recent grads with less than one year of experience! The application cycle for October 2020 start is closed so I guess you would have to wait for September 2020 to apply for the October 2021 start.

Congrats on the offer! Nice username

For the workload, there wasn't a typical week because I focused more on my extracurricular, the Cambridge experience, and job hunt so my weekly workload varies a lot and is not representative! 8-10 hours lecture, 1-4 hours lecture prep (essential readings, case study), 2-4 hours tutorial, 2-6 hours tutorial exercise prep, 1-2 hours guest speakers/workshops, 1-20 hours group meetings & projects (we have groups projects in all semesters and these are the most fun!)

Don't worry, many of us don't come from STEM and they tend to do well!

We have distinctions (75%+ average), and this is very very hard to achieve, usually, there are 1-3 people achieving this. 70-74.99% is a pass with commendation. 60-69.99% is a pass and less than 60% is a fail.

The consulting project is very fun and very hand-on (even though we did this virtually). We manage the full engagement with the clients, and there is a lot of freedom to explore how to most effectively create deliverables. Imagine you're an independent consultant with a team of 4-5 (likely you haven't worked with), that's how it looks like. The problems you face within the team and with the clients are very much real-world experience in consulting (entry-level don't usually lead engagements with clients), so this is an opportunity to really experience the pros and cons of being a consultant in a safe environment as students.
Hi JoBy1NoBa!

I was wondering what types of extracurriculars or student clubs are available at Cambridge? Are there, for example, consulting clubs or clubs that are under the business school? Also, how can new students get more information about extracurriculars/student clubs, and do most clubs welcome postgraduate students? Thank you so much!!
JoBy1NoBa
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by otahl)
Hi JoBy1NoBa!

I was wondering what types of extracurriculars or student clubs are available at Cambridge? Are there, for example, consulting clubs or clubs that are under the business school? Also, how can new students get more information about extracurriculars/student clubs, and do most clubs welcome postgraduate students? Thank you so much!!
Hi there, we have one of the most number of societies and clubs in the UK. Every club welcomes postgraduate student as far as I am aware of.

We have activities at 4 levels: Class level, College level, Department level and University level

Class level MPhil Management
This is mainly voluntarily organised by the MPhil students (so take the lead!). We organised loads of events from college formals to weekend trips in a different country. Let your creativity shine with your amazing cohort of 45~ students .

College level
You have loads of options and this is the main way you get to know people from your college (and other college through inter-college leagues). I really enjoyed playing football for the league (there is team I, II, and III with I for pro players and III for casual players) and we had like 10 matches against other colleges (one match per weekend). If you're not into football, we also have sport and non-sport college leagues in most other activities. You can find this out by accessing the relevant page from your college (e.g. Jesus College).

Department level CJBS
This is the main way to get to know people from CJBS outside your program. We have these smaller groups but I haven't been involved much as I was already busy with university and college level extra-curriculars. They have the Cambridge Business School Club. Alternatively, there's more info on CJBS. They have a special interest group for consulting. They also had a football team and they organised football matches against Oxford and LBS!

University level
You have loads of options here and this is the main way to get to know people from other colleges. You'll find out how to join in the welcome week. They have an active consulting club and you can find case study partners there as they have a group for that. You get to compete against other universities depending on your activities.

To sum up, I absolutely loved class level and college level activities!
Last edited by JoBy1NoBa; 2 months ago
Seni794
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have a very positive experience and it's been the most interesting year so far!

Course content:
Best part
1. The courses are introductory courses and do not assume any prior knowledge in each of the courses so the pace is good for people with no prior background.
2. All of the professors are quite friendly, supportive, and great overall!
3. The group works are very fun if you get along with your team.

Worst part
1. If you studied similar courses in any of the compulsory courses, then you might find the courses not too challenging but there's always room to go above the basics if you ask more from the lecturers.

Outside course content:
Best parts are the people and the Cambridge experience.

1. Cohorts are very smart, friendly, supportive, humble, and collegial coming from many different countries. A small cohort of 40-50 means that you get to know other students and professors quite well. It's also easier to organise class-level events like trips, college formal swaps (we organised >6 college formals with high turnouts!), and pubs.
2. Diversity of people inside and outside class and college means more exposure to different degrees programmes
3. The Cambridge Experience - College system (formals, sports at the college-level), beautiful Judge Business School, awesome community.
4. It's not London, Cambridge is a beautiful, quiet, safe town. You can always work in London after graduating
5. If you manage your time well, there's a lot of opportunities to get involved in societies and events
6. Unlike other business schools, the cohort is more diverse in terms of industry aspirations besides consulting and banking

Worst part:
1. If you are assigned to colleges and live far from the centre, then you could spend some time walking or cycling. I had to cycle everyday uphill when I go back so I guess it's a good exercise but I never get used to it...
2. For some people, if you're used to London's diversity of food and events, then you might find there are not as many choices in Cambridge. I personally find Cambridge quite decent!

Happy to answer any more specific questions if you guys have any! Best of luck to the ones waiting, last year some people received offers in April! Due to the current situation of the pandemic, decisions might slow down...
Hi JoBy1NoBa!

I'm planning on applying this fall for this programme but I'm a little hesitant regarding my chances given that my background is more creative and less STEM.

I just graduated from my undergrad which is essentially Digital Product Design & Web Development. My degree's from a top tier Arts & Design university but I'm not sure how it will stand compared to other candidates.

What was your academic background before applying? Did your cohort have internships from big corporates prior to entering the MPhil? What is the Admission Board looking for in a candidate apart from a First Class degree?

I apologise in advance for all the questions but to put it simply - what do you think makes a great candidate for this degree?
JoBy1NoBa
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Seni794)
Hi JoBy1NoBa!

I'm planning on applying this fall for this programme but I'm a little hesitant regarding my chances given that my background is more creative and less STEM.

I just graduated from my undergrad which is essentially Digital Product Design & Web Development. My degree's from a top tier Arts & Design university but I'm not sure how it will stand compared to other candidates.

What was your academic background before applying? Did your cohort have internships from big corporates prior to entering the MPhil? What is the Admission Board looking for in a candidate apart from a First Class degree?

I apologise in advance for all the questions but to put it simply - what do you think makes a great candidate for this degree?
Hi Seni, we have a very diverse student group of both STEM and non-STEM backgrounds (usually distinct undergrad subjects). For non-STEM, we have backgrounds ranging from communications to languages. So no, I don't think you'll be disadvantaged based on your background alone.

My background is in STEM like 38% of our class. Most of us had internships with interesting firms. First-class degree is the minimum to be considered, so I think all other parts of the applications are important to make you stand out. I think they are looking for convincing evidence and story. Why are you applying to this MPhil Management? How can you make the best out of the opportunities at CJBS and University of Cambridge? How does it help you get where you want? What can you contribute? Why makes you "you"? Why should CJBS choose you over other similar profiles? These are just some questions you should consider before applying

From my perspective, a great candidate would be someone who has a unique story and is driven, visionary, genuine, humble, supportive, and passionate learner.

One interesting example, when some professors were talking about a topic that one of us had prior experiences in, they will ask for our opinions. Hence, I assume some professors have read through our application materials and remember us.
tom1023
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have a very positive experience and it's been the most interesting year so far!

Course content:
Best part
1. The courses are introductory courses and do not assume any prior knowledge in each of the courses so the pace is good for people with no prior background.
2. All of the professors are quite friendly, supportive, and great overall!
3. The group works are very fun if you get along with your team.

Worst part
1. If you studied similar courses in any of the compulsory courses, then you might find the courses not too challenging but there's always room to go above the basics if you ask more from the lecturers.

Outside course content:
Best parts are the people and the Cambridge experience.

1. Cohorts are very smart, friendly, supportive, humble, and collegial coming from many different countries. A small cohort of 40-50 means that you get to know other students and professors quite well. It's also easier to organise class-level events like trips, college formal swaps (we organised >6 college formals with high turnouts!), and pubs.
2. Diversity of people inside and outside class and college means more exposure to different degrees programmes
3. The Cambridge Experience - College system (formals, sports at the college-level), beautiful Judge Business School, awesome community.
4. It's not London, Cambridge is a beautiful, quiet, safe town. You can always work in London after graduating
5. If you manage your time well, there's a lot of opportunities to get involved in societies and events
6. Unlike other business schools, the cohort is more diverse in terms of industry aspirations besides consulting and banking

Worst part:
1. If you are assigned to colleges and live far from the centre, then you could spend some time walking or cycling. I had to cycle everyday uphill when I go back so I guess it's a good exercise but I never get used to it...
2. For some people, if you're used to London's diversity of food and events, then you might find there are not as many choices in Cambridge. I personally find Cambridge quite decent!

Happy to answer any more specific questions if you guys have any! Best of luck to the ones waiting, last year some people received offers in April! Due to the current situation of the pandemic, decisions might slow down...
Hi JoBy1NoBa. Could you please tell me about the electives that are available? Is it just the ones listed on the course web page as that doesn’t seem like much? Thanks
JoBy1NoBa
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by tom1023)
Hi JoBy1NoBa. Could you please tell me about the electives that are available? Is it just the ones listed on the course web page as that doesn’t seem like much? Thanks
Hi Tom, the electives are the ones on the website. From what I've heard, they're planning to introduce some new courses but I don't know if it's going to become available this year. You can ask for lecturer permissions to audit some or all classes of electives (take classes but no exams) and others within CJBS. There is a possibility to audit courses outside CJBS but I haven't done this.
skg3205
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thanks for providing such insight and I'm so excited to meet my fellow students. I have a couple of questions, which are more somewhat logistical:1) If my understanding is correct, full term dates are different from the 'teaching dates.' The admissions acceptance letter states that the term starts on 1 October 2020, which I believe is a Thursday. Please can you clarify when the classes actually start, and what intro sessions are like? I think intro sessions are mentioned on the website. 2) Have you been able to take time off e.g. for a holiday during Christmas vacation period? I am aware that we have January exams, so I'm intrigued to hear more about your experiences. 3) How did you/other students you know find it to balance a rigorous course load with the recruiting process?Thank you!
JoBy1NoBa
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by skg3205)
Thanks for providing such insight and I'm so excited to meet my fellow students. I have a couple of questions, which are more somewhat logistical:1) If my understanding is correct, full term dates are different from the 'teaching dates.' The admissions acceptance letter states that the term starts on 1 October 2020, which I believe is a Thursday. Please can you clarify when the classes actually start, and what intro sessions are like? I think intro sessions are mentioned on the website. 2) Have you been able to take time off e.g. for a holiday during Christmas vacation period? I am aware that we have January exams, so I'm intrigued to hear more about your experiences. 3) How did you/other students you know find it to balance a rigorous course load with the recruiting process?Thank you!
1) Yes, that's correct. Back in 2019, MPhil's welcome sessions and classes started in the second week. Welcome sessions are mostly to get the students to know each other, an intro to Cambridge, and CJBS. For 2020, more should be included in the student handbook (I assume you haven't received yet). Before teaching starts, each college also has its welcome events for new students. I'm not sure how things have evolved due to Covid since I last checked, but I hope you all get to come on campus and live the Cambridge experience. My college is getting accommodation ready for new students so that's a good sign!

2) Yes, breaks are quite long so you get to relax and prepare for exams!

3) I guess preparation is key. Try to finish tasks that can be done right now. A lot of time can be saved from doing tasks like CV, Cover Letter, specific interview preparations (by industry), list of target employers and their deadlines.
sseoi
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey guys! Hope everyone is well! Was wondering what everyone's plans are, are you guys still going ahead with the degree? According to the latest update, the majority of the programs is going to be delivered online, but we still need to be on campus?
skg3205
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by sseoi)
Hey guys! Hope everyone is well! Was wondering what everyone's plans are, are you guys still going ahead with the degree? According to the latest update, the majority of the programs is going to be delivered online, but we still need to be on campus?
Hello there! Yes, I intend to live on campus. I'm confused too as the extent to which our learning will be delivered online. I guess everything will still be in flux, given the ever-changing nature of COVID-19.
skg3205
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
1) Yes, that's correct. Back in 2019, MPhil's welcome sessions and classes started in the second week. Welcome sessions are mostly to get the students to know each other, an intro to Cambridge, and CJBS. For 2020, more should be included in the student handbook (I assume you haven't received yet). Before teaching starts, each college also has its welcome events for new students. I'm not sure how things have evolved due to Covid since I last checked, but I hope you all get to come on campus and live the Cambridge experience. My college is getting accommodation ready for new students so that's a good sign!

2) Yes, breaks are quite long so you get to relax and prepare for exams!

3) I guess preparation is key. Try to finish tasks that can be done right now. A lot of time can be saved from doing tasks like CV, Cover Letter, specific interview preparations (by industry), list of target employers and their deadlines.
Thanks for such a detailed, useful reply. Do we need to have much/any pre-existing economics knowledge?
JoBy1NoBa
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by skg3205)
Thanks for such a detailed, useful reply. Do we need to have much/any pre-existing economics knowledge?
No, you don't. However, the macro (elective) and micro (compulsory) economics courses are probably the most challenging courses. Lecturer for macro is incredible and the classes are lots of fun! Extra hours will be needed...
skg3205
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No, you don't. However, the macro (elective) and micro (compulsory) economics courses are probably the most challenging courses. Lecturer for macro is incredible and the classes are lots of fun! Extra hours will be needed...
Thanks for this info- very helpful!
tom1023
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Congrats on getting the offers! I'm a current MPhil Management student so I'm happy to answer any of your questions if any
Hi JoBy1NoBa. I've just got a quick question on term dates. When is the graduation date for this course? And is there anyway of deferring your graduation in order to be eligible to apply for 'penultimate year' summer internships rather than full-time roles?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (123)
25.31%
Better than expected (100)
20.58%
Worse than expected (263)
54.12%

Watched Threads