90'S
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi guys can someone please explain to me the function topic what is a function I don’t get it thank you and it comes under the Quadratic topics
David Getling
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 90'S)
Hi guys can someone please explain to me the function topic what is a function I don’t get it thank you and it comes under the Quadratic topics
Have you tried googling what is a function? Maybe throw in the word math or mathematical.
90'S
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Yes still don’t get it ;(
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 90'S)
Yes still don’t get it ;(
A function is like a transformation. If you take a piece of paper, and rip it in half, then what we have is:

An input: this is what you start with; i.e. one piece of paper
A function: the transformation which takes place, and in this case it is you ripping the paper in half
An output: this is what you have in the end, and in this case it is two pieces of paper

So in mathematical terms, a function of a single variable (say the variable is x) is denoted by f(x), and it takes in an input which we denote as x, and this function does something to it, and gives you an output.

And to be a little bit more precise, a function must output only a SINGLE answer. It cannot output two different values for a particular input.

Hence, we say that y=x^2 is a function, but y^2 = x is not a function (because if you input, say x=1, then you can have two possibilities y=+1 or y=-1 simply from solving y^2 = 1)
Last edited by RDKGames; 4 weeks ago
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
so a function changes one number into another number ( it could be the same number... ).

the numbers that are changed are the "x values" which together form the "domain" of the function.

the numbers that come out are the "y values" which together form the "range" of the function.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (111)
59.68%
No (40)
21.51%
Not sure (35)
18.82%

Watched Threads