Opinions on best form of note taking?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m a second year student on my second semester and I’ve tried so many methods of note taking over the last year and half, going with making notes in lectures in first year and 2nd year/1st semester, to more recently doing basic lecture notes before lectures and filling a few bits in during lectures.

However, over the last week or so I’ve been trying out the method of just sitting and focusing in lectures and doing quick notes later. Sometimes I’m not sure if I’ll be learning anything which makes me a bit nervous as last semester I failed 2 exams and had bad grades in two others. It’s been a bit annoying this term as 3 of my lecturers have taken up the “going over examples and basics” approach in lectures which is why I took up a new method of learning that could be more consistent regardless of the lecturer.

But here’s the thing, I do a maths degree and I feel like, in general, taking notes down in lectures or focusing heavily on learning lecture content is a bit of a waste of time. In every module I’ve got good grades in so far, the common factor was that I actually did my homework consistently and to a good standard, plus even for modules that were ‘open book’ exams, the notes we could take in were universally agreed to be of little help.

So here’s my question - what do people think are the best methods of note taking in uni, especially for maths degrees? What do you reckon is the most useful/useless way of processing the information? So far, in just listening in lectures I’ve found that I can process the content more easily regardless of the teaching quality, whereas when I was note taking in lectures I found that I got behind easily and gave up on taking notes or paying attention.
Blueclueless
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’m a second year student on my second semester and I’ve tried so many methods of note taking over the last year and half, going with making notes in lectures in first year and 2nd year/1st semester, to more recently doing basic lecture notes before lectures and filling a few bits in during lectures.

However, over the last week or so I’ve been trying out the method of just sitting and focusing in lectures and doing quick notes later. Sometimes I’m not sure if I’ll be learning anything which makes me a bit nervous as last semester I failed 2 exams and had bad grades in two others. It’s been a bit annoying this term as 3 of my lecturers have taken up the “going over examples and basics” approach in lectures which is why I took up a new method of learning that could be more consistent regardless of the lecturer.

But here’s the thing, I do a maths degree and I feel like, in general, taking notes down in lectures or focusing heavily on learning lecture content is a bit of a waste of time. In every module I’ve got good grades in so far, the common factor was that I actually did my homework consistently and to a good standard, plus even for modules that were ‘open book’ exams, the notes we could take in were universally agreed to be of little help.

So here’s my question - what do people think are the best methods of note taking in uni, especially for maths degrees? What do you reckon is the most useful/useless way of processing the information? So far, in just listening in lectures I’ve found that I can process the content more easily regardless of the teaching quality, whereas when I was note taking in lectures I found that I got behind easily and gave up on taking notes or paying attention.
Have two notebooks. Take one with you to class and take notes in text speech and shorthand. Get it all down on the paper without thinking about arranging or anything

When you get home copy it all fully and neatly into the other book. Just copying it out will help you learn it and your notes will be amazing and full of help for you.

It’ll also make your notes valuable if you want to sell them at any point
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

So I did an engineering degree, most of my lectures were applied maths.

I used to jot listen & watch mostly, and write down key formula, steps and theory. I had all the PDFs and lecture capture saved online so if i missed anything i had copies.

When it came to revision I never used my lecture notes, for me it was just about helping me in print the key information into my brain, a lot of the time I would circle, star, underline important stuff in my notes. I used lecture notes as a phase 1 of learning essentially.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
I write down as much as I can in lectures, then neaten it up and fix the inevitable typos later on
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (133)
30.16%
No (308)
69.84%

Watched Threads