Striking professor's and dissertations

Watch
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Has anyone else considered the fact, that writing an MSc thesis/PhD with a striking professor could be tough?

Has anyone went through this and how have they gotten on?

I'm currently experiencing it at undergrad and i guess it's ok, but i feel it would stress me even more at postgrad level...😂 😂

Either way I'm 70 days out of a 8,000 word diss and I'm about 3,000 words in.... So maybe the stress will come soon.

I'm meeting my supervisor today for the last time in the next month though probably... Which is kind of shambles?
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
Has anyone else considered the fact, that writing an MSc thesis/PhD with a striking professor could be tough?

I'm currently experiencing it at undergrad and i guess it's ok, but i feel it would stress me even more at postgrad level...😂 😂

Either way I'm 70 days out of a 8,000 word diss and I'm about 3,000 words in.... So maybe the stress will come soon.

I'm meeting my supervisor today for the last time in the next month though probably... Which is kind of shambles?
TBH for a PhD student it would be annoying but not detrimental, the strikes are 14 days, a PhD is 4 years, as long as this is not happening the week of the viva then I see no reason why the supervisor and student cant work around it.
The more annoying factor is shared research facilities or joint work where other academics are required, this again will be annoying and cause time delays but is manageable (I do know PhD's having this issue).

MSc thesis, these are mostly completed over the summer, you should only need to meet once a week so again I think it can be manged, and if needed a 2-week extension given to students.

I think if you want to be a PhD student you should be capable of dealing with inconveniences like this, MSc is a little different as their is not the same expectation of individual work ethic.

Ive found it hasn't affected most PhD students, PhD supervisors tend to be on full time contracts already as they are researches primarily with teaching being a secondary aspect of the job, i think the strikes mainly affect staff who's primary job is teaching.
Last edited by mnot; 4 weeks ago
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I had one meeting with supervisor at BA and MA level dissertation, then once I was done learning languages, pretty much one every 6 weeks for PhD. This wouldn't have had any effect at all on me, so I'd have been ok. Didn't see him in the build up to the viva, either.

It's a bit of a pain for others, really, but not insurmountable. I will say that this strike is not just about teaching staff at all, in fact, the precarity of fixed term teaching staff was thrown in as a reason only after the fact. It is primarily about pensions and pay for those on full time gigs.
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Meh, I only needed to meet with my supervisors once a month for both my undergrad and postgrad diss, and I was by far the clingiest supervisee (is that the word?), to the point where it was suggested to me that I was overthinking stuff and ought to pay fewer visits!
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

I wrote 13,000 words in about 3 weeks over the Easter holidays... you're fine. Just set yourself a 'words per day' target to force yourself to actually get writing (it doesn't matter whether you meet or miss it, what matters is that you're not procrastinating)
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by J Papi)
Meh, I only needed to meet with my supervisors once a month for both my undergrad and postgrad diss, and I was by far the clingiest supervisee (is that the word?), to the point where it was suggested to me that I was overthinking stuff and ought to pay fewer visits!
Wow, im a PhD and meet roughly once a fortnight with my supervisor one to one and probably will run into him in other meetings etc, in the gap anyway and thats the norm for PhDs & post-docs in my office. My uni requires monthly meetings as a bare minimum.
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mnot)
Wow, im a PhD and meet roughly once a fortnight with my supervisor one to one and probably will run into him in other meetings etc, in the gap anyway and thats the norm for PhDs & post-docs in my office. My uni requires monthly meetings as a bare minimum.
I think that it's because of my field (law) and the fact that it was ultimately 'only' an UG/PG dissertation (10-15,000 words each). I'm guessing that other subjects & PhDs are more intense!
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think that it's because of my field (law) and the fact that it was ultimately 'only' an UG/PG dissertation (10-15,000 words each). I'm guessing that other subjects & PhDs are more intense!
Yea I guess, im in STEM it must be more of a subject thing because at masters I used to meet even more regularly (1 or 2 times a week). Im just surprised they said once a month was too often, that feels almost out touch to me.
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mnot)
Yea I guess, im in STEM it must be more of a subject thing because at masters I used to meet even more regularly (1 or 2 times a week). Im just surprised they said once a month was too often, that feels almost out touch to me.
Legal academia for you... It takes an incredible amount of time to just get through the reading, organise it, get some thoughts together, and then put forward an argument for your supervisor to inevitably demolish... I'd be surprised if STEM was the same
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mnot)
My uni requires monthly meetings as a bare minimum.
So did mine, so we just blagged the paperwork :lol:

But STEM is necessarily different
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I wrote 13,000 words in about 3 weeks over the Easter holidays... you're fine. Just set yourself a 'words per day' target to force yourself to actually get writing (it doesn't matter whether you meet or miss it, what matters is that you're not procrastinating)
I'm not rushing it, obviously i can write a ton in a day...I'm on a pretty good plan. Likely be done at least 10 days before deadline... That wasn't my worry. This post is more about...discussion on the topic, if strikes effect dissertations more lol.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

It's a drop in the ocean compared the number of days a PhD actually takes to do, so it doesn't make a difference in the long term. It can be a nuisance in the short term, but nothing a bit of initiative can't solve.

My supervisor is on sick leave at the mo, so the strikes are technically not affecting me at all!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (43)
46.74%
No, they should still go ahead (21)
22.83%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (28)
30.43%

Watched Threads