The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Anyone got offers? (Classical Studies at Edinburgh)

Hey, has anyone got offers for classical studies at Edinburgh yet?
Original post by Mayab510
Hey, has anyone got offers for classical studies at Edinburgh yet?

I think that there were some offers, back in October but haven't seen anything since. I am still waiting too. It's my last one.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by Templeton10
I think that there were some offers, back in October but haven't seen anything since. I am still waiting too. It's my last one.

Same, it’s the only one I’ve not heard back from yet. What other universities did you apply too?
Same, it’s the only one I’ve not heard back from yet. What other universities did you apply too?

Sorry for the late response. I have applied to KCL, Glasgow and Royal Holloway.
Reply 4
Sorry for the late response. I have applied to KCL, Glasgow and Royal Holloway.

Nice. I applied for Glasgow too but I’ve accepted my offer from Edinburgh now.
Nice. I applied for Glasgow too but I’ve accepted my offer from Edinburgh now.

Congrats, when did you receive your offer from Edinburgh and what grades are they asking for? I still haven't heard but hopefully, they're working their way through the Classics offers now.
Reply 6
Congrats, when did you receive your offer from Edinburgh and what grades are they asking for? I still haven't heard but hopefully, they're working their way through the Classics offers now.

It was last Friday and an unconditional. Which uni is your top?
It was last Friday and an unconditional. Which uni is your top?

Well done again. Probably between Edinburgh and KCL, although I have really liked all four, when I have visited. They're all very different and there are no real negatives for any of them. Funnily enough, the best presentation was done by the 'lowest ranked', Royal Holloway, although it's still a great uni. I plan to attend the offer days for all four (assuming that I do get an offer for Edinburgh) and then make my choice. I will probably firm Edinburgh though, as it was the only one of the four that did not make it into clearing, last year and it has been my first choice from the start. The attraction of being in London though and having access to all those wonderful museums and hopefully, employment opportunities. Choices, choices...
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Well done again. Probably between Edinburgh and KCL, although I have really liked all four, when I have visited. They're all very different and there are no real negatives for any of them. Funnily enough, the best presentation was done by the 'lowest ranked', Royal Holloway, although it's still a great uni. I plan to attend the offer days for all four (assuming that I do get an offer for Edinburgh) and then make my choice. I will probably firm Edinburgh though, as it was the only one of the four that did not make it into clearing, last year and it has been my first choice from the start. The attraction of being in London though and having access to all those wonderful museums and hopefully, employment opportunities. Choices,

For classics, I’ve always wanted to go to Edinburgh. I didn’t actually think about many other universities. Although, I see where you’re coming from with London, it’s full of opportunities and experiences. But, being a Scottish student, I don’t have to pay fees for Edinburgh which is a great incentive. Plus, it’s one of my favourite cities alongside Rome.
For classics, I’ve always wanted to go to Edinburgh. I didn’t actually think about many other universities. Although, I see where you’re coming from with London, it’s full of opportunities and experiences. But, being a Scottish student, I don’t have to pay fees for Edinburgh which is a great incentive. Plus, it’s one of my favourite cities alongside Rome.

Makes a lot of sense. I am an English student, so have to pay fees, wherever I go :frown:. I still have to get the grades too, so a double whammy.
Reply 10
Makes a lot of sense. I am an English student, so have to pay fees, wherever I go :frown:. I still have to get the grades too, so a double whammy.

Yeah, it's one of those times when I'm so glad to be Scottish. It's stupid how much money goes into student dept because, on top of tuition fees there's accommodation and food and class supplies and everything that goes into have a social life.
I heard back from edin in November for classics and french but my friend who applied in January had an offer this week! Hope that helps x
Original post by rosiebell2
I heard back from edin in November for classics and french but my friend who applied in January had an offer this week! Hope that helps x

Thanks for the update. I am still waiting but here's hoping. It sounds like they are working through another batch of Classics applications now, so maybe I will hear something within the next few days. I have booked a hotel for the offer day, on the 1st April, as I will be attending Glasgow's, the day before, so at least I can do some sightseeing, even if I get rejected :smile:.
Offer came through yesterday for Classical Studies (ABB). Wouldn't be surprised if the offer holder days are cancelled, due to the coronavirus pandemic. Mind you the Scots are a hardy people, so maybe not :smile:.
Reply 14
Offer came through yesterday for Classical Studies (ABB). Wouldn't be surprised if the offer holder days are cancelled, due to the coronavirus pandemic. Mind you the Scots are a hardy people, so maybe not :smile:.

Congrats! I hadn’t actually thought about the offer days being cancelled. Most likely, they will be cancelled as the government is stopping all events of over 500 people. I don’t think I’m going to them anyway because I’ve already accepted Edinburgh. Have you made a decision on which uni?
Congrats! I hadn’t actually thought about the offer days being cancelled. Most likely, they will be cancelled as the government is stopping all events of over 500 people. I don’t think I’m going to them anyway because I’ve already accepted Edinburgh. Have you made a decision on which uni?

Thanks for the good wishes. Still undecided as to which two to firm. The only open day that I didn't attend was KCL, as it was a last minute decision to apply there. I am booked on to the offer holder day, next month, but doubt that it will take place now; Royal Holloway has cancelled theirs for next Saturday. Hopefully things will calm down over the next month so that I can get down to have a proper look around King's, before having to make my final choices. I also want to have another look at Glasgow. It's so difficult to choose between all four.

Quick Reply

Latest