Coronavirus Megathread: UK goes into full lockdown

Watch
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TCA2b)
Nevermind the effect that would have on publicly listed companies which are present there to raise money in the first place.
Yes, there are many reasons why markets should not be closed but I thought I would just mention the one that FoS might vaguely relate to. She appears to be a Marxist so wants them destroyed anyway and will always bang on about investors all being rich, with no understanding that she is (or should be) an investor herself, as are her parents and grandparents if living, along with pretty well every other citizen.

The fact that she thinks annuities are a sensible mechanism for retrement income at the moment, and that she thinks they can be started withoiut the financial markets tells us all you need to know of her level of understanding.
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Sigh
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Rock Fan)
geeez 475 people died today in Italy the most yet
Says who
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This doesn't make sense. How did it even reach Italy....if it originated in China....and then it's spreading like bloody wildfire...."because the young live with older generations." that's highly a global culture. Come on😂
Last edited by Bang Outta Order; 1 week ago
Rock Fan
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
Says who
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51952712
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ah yes the news 🙄

Does not a single vein in your brain pulsate lol you're not curious at all how the virus got to Italy.. And then spread so badly...?? You're not concerned or knowledgeable at ALL about HOW?...
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Quixote.)
Pretty much what I did back when I was in college. I would have been screwed. I don't think I ever got above a D in a mock exam, before pulling some pretty solid grades out of the bag in the real ones and getting into a RG university. My plan was always to kick it up a gear towards the end of my final year. I wasn't stupid, just lazy as hell, haha.

I will spare a thought for my fellow procrastinators this summer.
Yes, many students have the “it is not important” mindset. Now it looks like it may be important.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ah yes the news 🙄

Does not a single vein in your brain pulsate lol you're not curious at all how the virus got to Italy.. And then spread so badly...?? You're not concerned or knowledgeable at ALL about HOW?...
Per chance is this a not so subtle dig at globalisation?
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Napp)
..what??? It's not a dig at globalisation because I don't believe it organically spread there anyway. If it's a dig at anything it's a dig at anyone who believes that corona virus made it to Italy...because I don't see how it did. Unless there's a massive Chinese community in Italy. Or a massive Italian community in China...and every individual there happened to go back to Italy around the same time to pass it around....doesn't make sense.
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Does Italy get imports directly from Wuhan...like wtf how is no one confused about the link from China to bloody Italy....since when is there a link...its not rhetorical. It's a great chance for know it alls who consider me stupid to share some of that knowledge they swear they've got.
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
Yes, many students have the “it is not important” mindset. Now it looks like it may be important.
You're smart. Can you tell me how the virus made it to Italy, so fast and so badly? Do you know anything about Italy's demographic..? Or trade?? How does a virus that started in Wuhan make it to Italy and devastate a first world country.....
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
..what??? It's not a dig at globalisation because I don't believe it organically spread there anyway. If it's a dig at anything it's a dig at anyone who believes that corona virus made it to Italy...because I don't see how it did. Unless there's a massive Chinese community in Italy. Or a massive Italian community in China...and every individual there happened to go back to Italy around the same time to pass it around....doesn't make sense.
Hmm well at any rate i imagine it made it there in the same manner every single virus, bacteria and generally unpleasant pathogen in history has skipped around the world. Via tourists, trade and people generally pottering about the world.
after all its not like this is a particularly novel occurrence, the world has dealt with various plagues of one form or another since the dawn of time.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Napp)
Right wing conspiradroid sites are claiming that the UN deliberately seeds various countries with the virus as part of a global plan for the dreaded world government. These ideas spread almost as fast as the virus does. :sad:
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Good article on how and when Italy got the Coronavirus. It appears likely that it was circulating in the country quite a while before officially announced. Once testing began in Italy, it was done more thoroughly than in many other countries, allowing the authorities to track down cases faster and announce more.
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/coronavirus-italy
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Napp)
Hmm well at any rate i imagine it made it there in the same manner every single virus, bacteria and generally unpleasant pathogen in history has skipped around the world. Via tourists, trade and people generally pottering about the world.
after all its not like this is a particularly novel occurrence, the world has dealt with various plagues of one form or another since the dawn of time.
Ok but why is it so bad. Many of their people affected are European middle classed yet you have neighbouring developing if not third world places that also have tourism and direct contact with China and aren't suffering as badly.....and their reasoning for Italy's outbreak record as per BBC and CNN quoting medical experts in their reports is ..."smokers and old people." that's ridiculous!! Smokers and old people everywhere. Especially Japan. Which isn't suffering badly and has far more Chinese tourism and trade and contact....oh dear. I ask for brains to be used. This isn't adding up...😂
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Right wing conspiradroid sites are claiming that the UN deliberately seeds various countries with the virus as part of a global plan for the dreaded world government. These ideas spread almost as fast as the virus does. :sad:
nothing to do with me, as I have no idea, and political parties have nothing to do with this, hence me asking the sites self proclaimed educated what could be the reason.
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
When it makes sense I'll stop wondering, simple.
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Does Italy get imports directly from Wuhan...its not rhetorical. It's a great chance for know it alls who consider me stupid to share some of that knowledge they swear they've got.
Fullofsurprises ahem??
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ah yes the news 🙄

It got to Italy in the same way that it got to every other country, through the many channels that people move through, notably:

International student migration
Tourism (Italy is hugely popular for Chinese tourists)
Family/Work migration, e.g. Italians working in China, and Chinese working in Italy.

But that's not the reason why its so bad there. From what I've read Italy became particularly bad because they, especially in the most effected regions, failed to identify the cases that were starting to emerge. In the UK, in the early days of the outbreak we were identifying and testing cases, and catching most of the initial cases, slowing the outbreak down, and delaying it until it became too much. Italy though was still treating potential patients as flu patients, and allowing things to carry on as normal for far to long. By the time they realized that these outbreaks weren't flu, it had already achieved a sufficient spread to then propagate itself without the need of new people coming in from China.

The opposite of this is Hong Kong.. they have far more exposure with China, so should have far more cases. But right away they began testing every potential case, and isolating and distancing every potential threat. As a result, the vast majority of cases were locked down before they could spread widely, and the few that did spread a bit in the community, were within the level that they could cope with. So they never became overwhelmed, and managed to get on top of it.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You're smart. Can you tell me how the virus made it to Italy, so fast and so badly? Do you know anything about Italy's demographic..? Or trade?? How does a virus that started in Wuhan make it to Italy and devastate a first world country.....
I think some people living or visiting China travelled to Italy and spread the infection. Also, Italy apparently has the highest number of old people hence why there has been a high number of deaths. Finally, I don't think Italy had a good enough healthy system like the US, Japan, UK or Germany.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (45)
60%
No (30)
40%

Watched Threads