Coronavirus Megathread: UK goes into full lockdown

Watch
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Pinkisk)
The US now has the highest number of infections in the world.
No, No, the highest case of COVID-19 cases is in China. They're lying...i'm staying at my RG campus near the crisis, and just got a support email for those "registered as staying here" It was a list of Chinese students roughly 425 out of 500. They know what's really going on the rich kids of China that can afford to study here, call it anecdotal, but there is no way they would stay here if it was all clear.
TCA2b
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by 1st superstar)
🤣😂😄😅👏👏 so harsh yet so true
There is actually so much wrong in what they wrote that it would take a book to pull it all apart.
Pinkisk
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
No, No, the highest case of COVID-19 cases is in China. They're lying...i'm staying at my RG campus near the crisis, and just got a support email for those "registered as staying here" It was a list of Chinese students roughly 425 out of 500. They know what's really going on the rich kids of China that can afford to study here, call it anecdotal, but there is no way they would stay here if it was all clear.
I think all countries are being, how should I put this? less than honest with the mortality and infection rates? Here's an Italian politician talking about this problem in Italy...he says that he has brought his daughter back from the UK to Italy because its lockdown is safer.

Last edited by Pinkisk; 3 days ago
Pinkisk
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Dalek1099)
“I called 999 because my wife was breathless, she was vomiting and she had pains in her stomach. As I was talking to them she was getting worse and they told me to put her on the floor and to make her body flat.” “She told me the hospital won’t take her, she is not a priority. She did not stay very long and she went outside to write her report and posted it through the door.”
But Charles with his 'mild symptoms' was priority.

Is this country in any position to criticise any other country for the way it has handled this pandemic? This pandemic is exposing the many flaws of British society.
TheMcSame
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Kitten in boots)
The USA has certainly picked up testing after having one of the lowest per capita rates.

However their mortality curve suggests they'll overtake every other country in terms of number of deaths unless the trend changes.
The US death rate was going to overtake every other country regardless if you ask me. The nature of their healthcare system pretty much guarantees it considering the outrageous prices, not to mention the fact that some hospitals will literally turn people away because they don't have insurance, or even just because they have insurance with the 'wrong' provider. The whole system is messed up af.
(Original post by Greywolftwo)
A very sad bit of news I came across. A teenage girl committed suicide because of the fear of isolation and getting coronavirus. Sadly I don’t think this will be the last case.
Agreed. My and my GF are both worried about the other wanting to cut things off because we aren't able to see each other, nor do we know when we might be able to, especially because her mother is panicking like hell so there's a very real chance we might not even see each other until next year.

To add to that, just the other day I found out that both my parents are considered high-risk. I also have to go into work as I'm technically a key worker (we ship cleaning products out to companies across the UK and even parts of Europe, including the NHS). It's not key in the sense that we absolutely must stay open, but it's also not like we're non-essential either if that makes sense. We're in that grey area where it's not so much the company itself that's essential but rather the stock we deal with.

With both of those things on my mind, it's already eating away at me and it has only been a few days.
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by MrMusician95)
What I'm saying is, Johnson tried to be lenient to give us as much freedom as possible but selfish Brits didn't listen.
I mean, not to stereotype about “the Brits” but anyone familiar with the situation would no asking politely wouldn’t work
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Rock Fan)
He couldn't have made it anymore clear, stay at home unless you have to work or you need to food shop, it's so simple. How can people not understand that?
- Initial, UK seeks herd immunity position (let virus float through population, keep businesses as usual, congregating is fine, Johnson still expects to shake hands)
- Brits should take it on the chin
- Many people will die
- Cummings, economy more important, who cares if >60s die
- Hancock - “herd immunity is not our goal”
- Atletico Madrid match and Cheltenham go ahead
- Tells population only need to isolate if symptomatic
- Businesses should close (but allowed to stay open)
- Flights continue as planned
- Scientists got it wrong by modelling on wrong virus but govt guided by “following the science”
- Public transport still in effect, number of tube journeys cut so stations cramped
- Construction deemed “essential”
- Model assumes people will fatigue but we must “stay inside”
- Businesses can still choose to open, and thousands on waiting list for benefits who continue therefore to need to work
- Police to break up grounds in public spaces, except businesses who choose to stay open where it okay
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by StaysafeUK)
Why is Italy not showing any down wood curve. Its quite worrying. You would have thought they would continue to go down but they went up in new cases and deaths today
No, THE RATE of growth has fallen.

If a car is going down a hill it’s speed is going to continue rising, realistically the car cannot suddenly stop, it is going to continue to go down the hill. What can be done is to slow the acceleration, or rate at which the car is getting faster.

A car going from 10, to 20, to 40, to 80mph is accelerating rapidly, if the next rise is to 100 instead of 160mph it is considered a great success- this is what is happening in Italy
Pinkisk
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
- Initial, UK seeks herd immunity position (let virus float through population, keep businesses as usual, congregating is fine, Johnson still expects to shake hands)
- Many people will die
- Scientists got it wrong by modelling on wrong virus but govt guided by “following the science”
- Public transport still in effect, number of tube journeys cut so stations cramped
- Businesses can still choose to open, and thousands on waiting list for benefits who continue therefore to need to work
- Police to break up grounds in public spaces, except businesses who choose to stay open where it okay
The words consistency and organisation come to mind...what are their antonyms?
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
The US now has the highest number of infections in the world.
America is screwed, they lack the willpower to obey any measures given from the President (who himself is unwilling to give them) and are prioritising the economy over people and have admitted as much. Key influencers (politicians and celebrities) are still openly advocating ignoring the measures. America are still charging for tests and treatment and lack support packages for those who do not/cannot work. They also have been stockpiling guns, so expect crime rates to spike. Americans are also phenomenally unhealthy so expect them to have the highest % mortality rate if every nation had the same % tested.

America does however have a lot of space, so more people are driving, living alone (isolating) and has more hospital space, but with Trump they are screwed
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I think all countries are being, how should I put this? less than honest with the mortality and infection rates? Here's an Italian politician talking about this problem in Italy...he says that he has brought his daughter back from the UK to Italy because its lockdown is safer.

lol, well that sort of supports my unscientific observation, I mean if it was all clear why keep your kids here where you know there's rampant infection....makes absolutely no sense. If my mom knew a country that was covid-19 free at this point i'd be on the first available train, plane, boat, horse, donkey etc.
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Dalek1099)
Are young people being left to die from coronavirus?(reversing Italy's triage rules to treat old) Who is high priority? Are these examples proof of an attempt by the Government to pretend the NHS isn't overwhelmed by stopping people getting admitted to hospital?
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...-dies-21753839
“In a short space of time they called back to say they wouldn’t be sending an ambulance because she wasn’t high priority enough.”
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...s-not-priority
“I called 999 because my wife was breathless, she was vomiting and she had pains in her stomach. As I was talking to them she was getting worse and they told me to put her on the floor and to make her body flat.” “She told me the hospital won’t take her, she is not a priority. She did not stay very long and she went outside to write her report and posted it through the door.” "they told me to put her on the floor and to make her body flat.” = not a priority.

We have already seen in other countries that many healthy young people do need hospitalisation and have good chances of survival as long as they do get ventilators - this is why Italy imposed the triage rules of treating younger people. I am extremely confused at this situation because it certainly seems as if most hospitals in the UK are not completely overwhelmed and if that if the case you should be admitting everyone with severe symptoms suspected of covid-19(transporting people across the country to hospitals with less Covid-19 patients if necessary as seen) which would apply to both cases. If the hospitals do start to get overwhelmed then you can get extra capacity by putting people on the floor(which we have seen in Spain) but you can't be assuming that people with severe symptoms won't need hospital treatment regardless of age or underlying health conditions.
This case is interesting because we still are in a debate over how to allocate resources.

Abdo pain would clearly intimate it isn’t COVID, so it’s understandable it isn’t considered likely and we still aren’t sure what % bed space is for non-COVID patients.

Because we don’t know how many will be hospitalised, we are hesitant to set a barometer of a cut off for hospitalisation. An 85 year old today could get a bed, by next week that 85 year old will have taken a bed of a 36 year old. It’s because there is a hesitancy to be ageist and set a cut off point that means they are for now accepting anyone ?COVID.

The big concern is that ventilators/ICU beds are all fully taken up by >60s so people <50 with higher survival rates will miss out.

Sounds like they’ve prioritised COVID, so dismisses her since she was unlikely to have it
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
America is screwed, they lack the willpower to obey any measures given from the President (who himself is unwilling to give them) and are prioritising the economy over people and have admitted as much. Key influencers (politicians and celebrities) are still openly advocating ignoring the measures. America are still charging for tests and treatment and lack support packages for those who do not/cannot work. They also have been stockpiling guns, so expect crime rates to spike. Americans are also phenomenally unhealthy so expect them to have the highest % mortality rate if every nation had the same % tested.

America does however have a lot of space, so more people are driving, living alone (isolating) and has more hospital space, but with Trump they are screwed
I mean the death rate is still pretty low, they've only lost a few more than the UK, i mean the US has a much larger population. It's really when you have those slip-ups and get a nursing home spread, that's when it gets awfully deadly fast. I wouldn't say that they are doomed per say. Anymore then anyone else, it's all about keeping that ICU capacity up (ventilators)....that's when the high death toll comes into play. When you run out of capacity and those decisions of who to treat and who to let die (Italy, Spain, China) really kicks in. Germany has a quite low death rate, at 0.6% and has been lucky so far, as we've (I'm German) seemingly been more efficient coming into this with far more beds. Could and will likely obviously change though with time, this is going to be a long battle it seems.
Pinkisk
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
The self employed are going to have 80% of their average earnings paid by the Government (taxable) up to £30, 000...

This is going to really hurt those guys that don't give accurate figures in their tax returns...assuming its going to be based on that average. This is going to really hurt those self employed but most impoverished in society.
Rock Fan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
- Many people will die
That was before, it is clear what the measure are not, only go out if you need to go shopping, medical care or for someone vulnerable, that simple now.
bj27
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Ah yes, not the fault of the PM who’s messages have been completely conflicting?
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Being all lenient and nicey nicey about what people had to do was exactly the wrong thing to do in this situation.
Like I said before, there's a time to be authoritarian (wartime, economic uncertainty) and a time to be more libertarian with things(peacetime and booming economy) but I don't think the PM was conflicting with his messages. He told people to stay at home, realised people weren't listening and after looking at the data for multiple countries ahead of the curve decided enough was enough.
bj27
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
The self employed are going to have 80% of their average earnings paid by the Government (taxable) up to £30, 000...

This is going to really hurt those guys that don't give accurate figures in their tax returns...assuming its going to be based on that average. This is going to really hurt those self employed but most impoverished in society.
Well if you don't give accurate figures in your returns and tell the government how much you really earn to get less taxation that's really your problem and not the governments.
bj27
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
- Many people will die
I don't think the steps he's taken other than the underground bit which was farcical has been particularly wrong, the issue is that he didn't take these steps quickly enough.

Had he did everything 10 days earlier than it was supposed to that would have been great.

Also if this didn't happen Liverpool would have had a longer break, played their second leg and won vs Atlético, can't be having that.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Smack)
Can those who have immunity themselves still spread it to others, though?
Well, no. Think about vaccinations.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
Apparently America just took the crown
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52056586
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (54)
61.36%
No (18)
20.45%
Not sure (16)
18.18%

Watched Threads