Coronavirus Megathread: UK goes into full lockdown

Watch
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The Chinese government mouthpiece as the only coronavirus thread.....

How about no There will be others, you cant seize the means of thread production this time
Last edited by BlueIndigoViolet; 1 month ago
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
tbh the uk isn't much better, people don't take corona virus seriously in the uk, lol. it's all about memes and ****.
The people may not but the NHS is taking it seriously. Already we are seeing hospitals putting up temporary isolation wards separate from the main hospitals in preparation for any outbreak.

I was in a meeting on Monday with a fairly senior member of a hospital trust and he had quite a lot to say about the NHS response and how they were keeping a very close eye on the situation. There isn't a lot to be concerned about unless you are old, a smoker or have medical issues already, what they are seeing is fairly typical of respiratory viral infections.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
tbh the uk isn't much better, people don't take corona virus seriously in the uk, lol. it's all about memes and ****.
Well its not like Ebola or other more fun diseases where most people die in quite visible and grisly ways. I mean, unless youre already susceptible to the disease it really isnt that big of a deal.
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
The people may not but the NHS is taking it seriously. Already we are seeing hospitals putting up temporary isolation wards separate from the main hospitals in preparation for any outbreak.

I was in a meeting on Monday with a fairly senior member of a hospital trust and he had quite a lot to say about the NHS response and how they were keeping a very close eye on the situation. There isn't a lot to be concerned about unless you are old, a smoker or have medical issues already, what they are seeing is fairly typical of respiratory viral infections.
that's good. but if people don't do their part, i think their all their efforts will go to waste. btw is it true that they've no intention of providing treatment to old or ill people with corona virus?
(Original post by Napp)
Well its not like Ebola or other more fun diseases where most people die in quite visible and grisly ways. I mean, unless youre already susceptible to the disease it really isnt that big of a deal.
it easily kills old and ill people tho. like, i've had a really bad chest infection for months now so if i catch it, it's probably game over for me, lol
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
that's good. but if people don't do their part, i think their all their efforts will go to waste. btw is it true that they've no intention of providing treatment to old or ill people with corona virus?
People are already doing their part and self isolating, we can't ask for much more right now.

No, everyone who needs treatment will be treated.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
it easily kills old and ill people tho. like, i've had a really bad chest infection for months now so if i catch it, it's probably game over for me, lol
As does near enough every disease of note, which was rather my point. I mean, if you catch the flu as an elderly person theres a better than good chance you'll cross the line from coffin dodger to being buried in one.
Thats not to completely belay the fact the virus, by current estimates, has a relatively high mortality rate but its effects have still been blown way out of proportion to what it is, even for those who are more susceptible to it.
I mean seeing people in Auckland pannick buying supplies because of a hole singular case was mildly amusing today. Nevermind the charming cranks that have popped out of the woodwork spouting garbage about 'sendin dem china peple home' (no exaggeration on the offensive mangling of english mind).
Ciel.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
People are already doing their part and self isolating, we can't ask for much more right now.

No, everyone who needs treatment will be treated.
some do yeah. i meant idiots like that guy who went to a&e and sat there for half an hour, despite knowing he might have the virus
(Original post by Napp)
As does near enough every disease of note, which was rather my point. I mean, if you catch the flu as an elderly person theres a better than good chance you'll cross the line from coffin dodger to being buried in one.
Thats not to completely belay the fact the virus, by current estimates, has a relatively high mortality rate but its effects have still been blown way out of proportion to what it is, even for those who are more susceptible to it.
I mean seeing people in Auckland pannick buying supplies because of a hole singular case was mildly amusing today. Nevermind the charming cranks that have popped out of the woodwork spouting garbage about 'sendin dem china peple home' (no exaggeration on the offensive mangling of english mind).
oh, i agree. i simply think that everyone should make sure to take basic precautions if they suspect they might have the virus
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Surprised that only DiddyDec picked up on this part of the OP:

Some more possible but less likely explanations include the virus being a bioweapon spread by the Americans in order to punish China and Iran.
This thread is just another example of the Chinese preference for 'official' news.
Last edited by J Papi; 1 month ago
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This thread claims that China has contained the virus, this is an outright lie. They weren't treating the issue because their first response was to suppress descent. Most developed nation look at what their medics are saying and act on it. China on the other hand see descent that must be crushed so they can save face.

China has a military force of over 2 million active personnel and a further half million in reserve. There is a lot they could be doing with the PLA and their extensive humanitarian force.

The bio-weapon stuff comes from our favourite Chinese propaganda machine.
Take a look at every nations response to the initial out breaks of Crisis. Even the UK - Mad cow disease - and how in each case, the same thing happens. Scientists/experts issue warnings and tell the gov. whats going on.. the government is very slow to react, reluctant to do anything that would cause panic or cost its economy. Then slowly as the real nature is revealed, they are forced into action.

This isn't anything unique to China. Take the 2009 H1N1 outbreak, that went pandemic and killed between 20-200,000 people worldwide. Could that have been stopped if mexico and the USA had taken drastic measures early on? Probably.. but they didn't and it spread. They had warnings about it, even up to a year before (unlike in the China case) that it was likely to happen, but they didn't manage to stop it. By the time america even declared a state of emergency it was months to late to do anything.

Its easy to fit this story into the narative of China being an authoritarian state that crushes decenting voices and doesn't care about its people. But really, its actions are just a bit more extreme than most nations when you compare different outbreaks. Its initial actions to cover up/ignore the problem were a bit more extreme, and its subsequent actions to stop the outbreak have been also more extreme.

China's military are engaged in the problem - doctors and military personal are all working in Hubei, as well as being used to maintain quarentines around the country.
AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Most developed nation look at what their medics are saying and act on it. China on the other hand see descent that must be crushed so they can save face.
Oh, is that so?

The US has ignored expert advice and has only tested 500 people, when the UK has tested 10,000. The US is hiding the epidemic raging in its own lands by refusing to test people.

Italy isn't the epicentre of the outbreak in Europe. Do you know why it has 100s of cases? Because a doctor went against guidelines and tested a "flu" patient who was in critical condition, when guidelines said only to test those with contact to other cases or travel history in China. This kickstarted the tracing and testing of 1000s of contacts and investigating 100s of serious "flu" patients. This testing isn't happening in the rest of Europe except the UK - they are only testing people with symptoms from China, South Korea, Japan, and now Italy.

Italy has basically done a U-turn due to the severe economic costs and admitted that it made a mistake in testing so many people (and making themselves a pariah).
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSt...rging-69254949
They literally stated their mistake was making too many tests, and that they will now follow France and Germany's example and do many less.
"WTF we're the only ones reporting it we look like idiots!"
Many people and many groups have also expressed their distaste for any quarantine measures, and they want to return to normality as soon as possible, virus or no virus.
It seems like there is a push for a new strategy: "ignore the goddamn virus, smile and carry on" (but wash your hands)
Last edited by AngeryPenguin; 1 month ago
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
Oh, is that so?

The US has ignored expert advice and has only tested 500 people, when the UK has tested 10,000. The US is hiding the epidemic raging in its own lands by refusing to test people.

Italy isn't the epicentre of the outbreak in Europe. Do you know why it has 100s of cases? Because a doctor went against guidelines and tested a "flu" patient who was in critical condition, when guidelines said only to test those with contact to other cases or travel history in China. This kickstarted the tracing and testing of 1000s of contacts and investigating 100s of serious "flu" patients. This testing isn't happening in the rest of Europe except the UK - they are only testing people with symptoms from China, South Korea, Japan, and now Italy.

Italy has basically done a U-turn due to the severe economic costs and admitted that it made a mistake in testing so many people (and making themselves a pariah).
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSt...rging-69254949
They literally stated their mistake was making too many tests, and that they will now follow France and Germany's example and do many less.
"WTF we're the only ones reporting it we look like idiots!"
Many people and many groups have also expressed their distaste for any quarantine measures, and they want to return to normality as soon as possible, virus or no virus.
It seems like there is a push for a new strategy: "ignore the goddamn virus, smile and carry on" (but wash your hands)
Nothing to say about how China stopped the spread or it is an American bioweapon?
gthemursh
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I live in Swansea and we’ve just got the first case of Coronavirus in Wales here!
It’s actually getting serious now!!!
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
some do yeah. i meant idiots like that guy who went to a&e and sat there for half an hour, despite knowing he might have the virus
There is no known cure for stupid.

(Original post by J Papi)
Surprised that only DiddyDec picked up on this part of the OP:

This thread is just another example of the Chinese preference for 'official' news.
The Chinese propaganda machine has a lot of damage control to do.

(Original post by fallen_acorns)
Take a look at every nations response to the initial out breaks of Crisis. Even the UK - Mad cow disease - and how in each case, the same thing happens. Scientists/experts issue warnings and tell the gov. whats going on.. the government is very slow to react, reluctant to do anything that would cause panic or cost its economy. Then slowly as the real nature is revealed, they are forced into action.

This isn't anything unique to China. Take the 2009 H1N1 outbreak, that went pandemic and killed between 20-200,000 people worldwide. Could that have been stopped if mexico and the USA had taken drastic measures early on? Probably.. but they didn't and it spread. They had warnings about it, even up to a year before (unlike in the China case) that it was likely to happen, but they didn't manage to stop it. By the time america even declared a state of emergency it was months to late to do anything.

Its easy to fit this story into the narative of China being an authoritarian state that crushes decenting voices and doesn't care about its people. But really, its actions are just a bit more extreme than most nations when you compare different outbreaks. Its initial actions to cover up/ignore the problem were a bit more extreme, and its subsequent actions to stop the outbreak have been also more extreme.

China's military are engaged in the problem - doctors and military personal are all working in Hubei, as well as being used to maintain quarentines around the country.
Mexico isn't exactly developed, the government doesn't even have control of the entire country.

Considering that China charged the first responders with spreading misinformation that does lead one to the conclusion that they are an authoritarian dictatorship crushing descent.

A little more extreme? They have been welding apartment doors shut and dragging people kicking and screaming out of their homes. Only to then load them into boxes on the back of pickup trucks. People are starving in their homes because they can't access food thanks to the PLA welding them in. Journalists have gone "missing" for reporting on the outbreak.

What China seems to care about the most is their economy which requires a large workforce to keep it running. A dying workforce is bad for business.
Ciel.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

The Chinese propaganda machine has a lot of damage control to do.

Mexico isn't exactly developed, the government doesn't even have control of the entire country.

Considering that China charged the first responders with spreading misinformation that does lead one to the conclusion that they are an authoritarian dictatorship crushing descent.

A little more extreme? They have been welding apartment doors shut and dragging people kicking and screaming out of their homes. Only to then load them into boxes on the back of pickup trucks. People are starving in their homes because they can't access food thanks to the PLA welding them in. Journalists have gone "missing" for reporting on the outbreak.

What China seems to care about the most is their economy which requires a large workforce to keep it running. A dying workforce is bad for business.
idk how penguin isn't banned yet. he's actually pretty racist, lol
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
idk how penguin isn't banned yet. he's actually pretty racist, lol
Because the mods don't give a **** about their site being used as a Chinese hate machine.
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
American bioweapon? Classic propaganda to shift blame :congrats:
I love the "bioweapon" claims. It would be like developing an assault rifle where each magazine has only one live round in it.
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Mexico is richer (for its size) than China is today.

China was wrong to crack down on first responders, the differece with china here is that where other nations simply ignored them, China acted against them. Neither help to stop the spread, but China's actions are unquestionably worse.

Its a good thing people were dragged out of their homes - if they had the virus or were suspected of having it, they need to be quarantined, transmission within buildings is very easy. Resisting goverment rules in a time like this, can't be allowed.

I think one thing that you need to understand about China is that the living conditions are very different from the UK. Everyone lives in large tower blocks not individual houses.. so its not like in the UK where if your neighbor got it, you could just stay at home and avoid them. In China if one person in the building gets it, the likelyhood of more catching it is huge. The sars outbreak in Hong kong showed this last time around, where transmition in buildings was a massive problem. Your all using communal hallways, elevators, doors, etc. So they do have to be strict to stop it spreading in those conditions. That does mean making sure infected people leave, and risky people stay in. Its worked though - the spread outside of Hubei is basically non-existant now. We are yet to see if less-extreme measures can be as successful.

As for food, for the country as a whole, food has been managed very well - to the point where there haven't been mass shortages or rushes on shops. The goverment has priortised food supply chains, and some of the heros are the shop-owners who have been dutifully following goverment orders and keeping open, despite all the risk. There may be a few problems in specific places, but in a country 20x bigger than the UK, its going to happen

As for your economic point - its not really true. Fatalities are mainly in the old and retired, if this was about their workforce dying, they would have simple kept the young working, knowing that they probably aren't going to die. China are taking a huge economic hit to end this, and Chinese people understand this. Most of my family there are loosing money at the moment as small business owners, unsure of when they can open again.. but they are all willing to make the sacrifice because life means more than money, and for them China itself means more than anything.
Last edited by fallen_acorns; 1 month ago
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
Apparently, the vast majority of people who contract the virus and develop symptoms will feel "mildly unwell". The majority of the remainder will feel "moderately unwell".
I think it's probably only Wednesday and Thursday mornings that I don't wake up with similar symptoms.
NJA
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How to survive the Corona pandemic fashionably
(Getty Images)

Name:  _111071322_september-comp.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  61.5 KB

Name:  _111071323_index-image-getty.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  85.0 KB
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (291)
34.15%
No (561)
65.85%

Watched Threads