Thanks
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Cryoraptor)
Big update everyone:

Turns out there are 2 different strains of it spreading now. It's possible one is becoming deadlier than the other.

Source: google coronavirus strains and click on the news section.
Not a big update. This was published in a paper last Tuesday and if you actually read the piece of journalism you linked to, you will see that the various scientists they asked to comment didn't see this as a big deal at all.
Oshmit
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
It took Italy nearly 6000 cases before they finally started to properly implement the measures that have been successful in China...

I hope it doesn't take us that long.
It will it will..., though nationwide quarantine is much easier to impose on an island, since all you do is stop inbound and outbound transport of people.
AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Big update everyone:

Turns out there are 2 different strains of it spreading now. It's possible one is becoming deadlier than the other.

Chinese researchers have identified two strains in Wuhan: L strain and S strain.

S strain is the old one, L strain is a branch of it. L strain is more virulent but due to China's containment measures it is less prevalent.

Viruses mutate all the time btw, there are actually loads of new strains developing all the time. That's how they can trace infections between countries - like a Brazilian infection to a German strain. The L and S strains are just more significantly different.
Cryoraptor
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
Chinese researchers have identified two strains in Wuhan: L strain and S strain.

S strain is the old one, L strain is a branch of it. L strain is more virulent but due to China's containment measures it is less prevalent.

Viruses mutate all the time btw, there are actually loads of new strains developing all the time. That's how they can trace infections between countries - like a Brazilian infection to a German strain. The L and S strains are just more significantly different.
Well aware that viruses mutate, however they have to be slightly different to be considered different strains. We will probably see a UK COVID-19 strain as well as an Italian one arise in the coming weeks that have slightly different characteristics.
h3110
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Not gonna happen. Most schools don't want to close down. I live near Maidstone where it broke out and my school hasn't closed down. It will take outbreaks in the hundreds or thousands everywhere in the country for schools and workplaces to start closing down. It's definitely going to get into the tens of thousands here, probably at least a hundred thousand. The media is just making everyone hysterical here; nobody is prepared to do anything about it.
>Not gonna happen
What makes you say that? Literally all the other countries that had similar numbers to us a week ago / a few weeks ago have no closed their schools. I feel like it will almost definitely happen in the coming weeks
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Big update everyone:

Old news.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6385502
Cryoraptor
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Fair enough. Old news is a bit of an oxymoron is it not? Surely it should be called 'Olds' or something.
AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
"We are now forced to create intensive therapies in the corridor, in the operating rooms, in the recovery rooms
"We gutted entire hospital wards to make room for the seriously ill. One of the best healthcare in the world, the Lombard one, is one step away from collapse
"The picture is of such gravity as to require an increase in resuscitation places up to ten times the current availability
"If the population does not understand that they must stay home, the situation will become catastrophic."
- Antonio Pesenti, coordinator of the crisis unit of the Lombardy Region
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
3rd UK death reported.
Cryoraptor
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
3rd UK death reported.
Oh balls
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Oh balls
Very worrying.

Thoughts are with their family.
Cryoraptor
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Very worrying.

Thoughts are with their family.
Oh ****, the guy was in his 60s. My dad is 60 this year and he has type 2 diabetes and hypertension. I'm starting to genuinely worry now that it would kill him if he caught it.
Cryoraptor
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Official UK count is 273 now, 64 new cases today.
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
There has been a confirmed case at my university. The campus has not been closed - for those of you wondering/hoping that will happen if it hits your area!
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Oh ****, the guy was in his 60s. My dad is 60 this year and he has type 2 diabetes and hypertension. I'm starting to genuinely worry now that it would kill him if he caught it.
Protect your father. He must self-isolate and have limited exposure to the public. All the best.
Cryoraptor
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by sinfonietta)
There has been a confirmed case at my university. The campus has not been closed - for those of you wondering/hoping that will happen if it hits your area!
You're not serious?! Get away from there asap if you haven't already
Cryoraptor
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Protect your father. He must self-isolate and have limited exposure to the public. All the best.
Good luck getting him to do that, but thanks for the advice
Cryoraptor
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
"as ministers warned 100,000 Brits could die from the deadly bug."

It's already being predicted that it's going to infect millions in the UK alone.
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You're not serious?! Get away from there asap if you haven't already
Of course I'm serious. I wouldn't have posted if it weren't true.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (45)
60%
No (30)
40%

Watched Threads