Coronavirus Megathread: UK goes into full lockdown

Watch
MeghanMarkle1992
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Curious if anyone on here has actually been tested and if so what criteria they use to decide whether they need to test you or not.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by MeghanMarkle1992)
Curious if anyone on here has actually been tested and if so what criteria they use to decide whether they need to test you or not.
Probably just walk into your GP (call 111) and tell them your symptoms? IDK TBH
Last edited by 1st superstar; 2 weeks ago
MeghanMarkle1992
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by 1st superstar)
Probably just walk into your GP and tell them your symptoms? IDK TBH
Are you serious? That's the last thing they advise you to do.
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Probably just walk into your GP and tell them your symptoms? IDK TBH
You are supposed to call 111 if you think you have it. They specifically don't want people turning up at GP practises or hospitals. Tests are administered to people at home initially.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Good advice.

Things to do to boost immunity:

- avoid alcohol and drugs, including of course, nicotine
- eat healthily, avoid processed foods such as prepacked meals
- eat fruit and veg as Wired says above
- try eating honey, it is nature's antiseptic and antiinflammatory
- exercize
- avoid polluted areas where possible
- go to bed at reasonable times, sleep 8 hours if possible
- watch funny programmes or movies, or sad ones - laughter and tears are great at purging those toxins

Go well everyone!
I agree. We have to be healthy to fight the virus.
AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
I think you should also consume sufficient vitamin C through citrus fruits. You should ensure that your immune system is strong by consuming enough fruits and veg. All the best.
Vitamin D is good too. This time of the year most people are deficient, and:

"Recent research suggested that vitamin D also has a potential role in the prevention of ARI by increasing immunity. In some observational studies, it was observed that low vitamin D level in blood is associated with the increased incidence of respiratory tract infections."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3543548/
yzanne
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by jenhasdreams)
My wedding is in a month and I feel like it's going to end up being cancelled and if not, a lot of guests won't be able to come. I know it's not the worst thing to happen but still sucks.
Oh how sad! My teacher's wedding is soon as well and she's worried about it being cancelled. Stay on the bright side for now
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by jenhasdreams)
My wedding is in a month and I feel like it's going to end up being cancelled and if not, a lot of guests won't be able to come. I know it's not the worst thing to happen but still sucks.
Hope it goes well for you.
NJA
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by SnowMiku)
Having to put up a sign that said no, we don't eat cats, after what I presume would've been days of hate is just... not something I'd hoped with happen.
Let's all try and stick together, we're all in the same boat on the ocean of Covid-19, for goodness' sake.
yes ok, I like Chinese and other oriental people I suppose I just make jokes about anyone and everyone, including the English
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Are you serious? That's the last thing they advise you to do.
I meant call the GP
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You are supposed to call 111 if you think you have it. They specifically don't want people turning up at GP practises or hospitals. Tests are administered to people at home initially.
Yes that's what I meant sorry for the bad wording
MeghanMarkle1992
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I meant call the GP
When I spoke to the receptionist she became hysterical just because I recently travelled even though it wasn't to one of the countries at risk. Hung up the phone on me and told me to call 111 lol.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
When I spoke to the receptionist she became hysterical just because I recently travelled even though it wasn't to one of the countries at risk. Hung up the phone on me and told me to call 111 lol.
Oh dear well that sums up NHS Doctors... (sorry if this comment is gonna annoy people)
MeghanMarkle1992
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Good advice.

Things to do to boost immunity:

- avoid alcohol and drugs, including of course, nicotine
- eat healthily, avoid processed foods such as prepacked meals
- eat fruit and veg as Wired says above
- try eating honey, it is nature's antiseptic and antiinflammatory
- exercize
- avoid polluted areas where possible
- go to bed at reasonable times, sleep 8 hours if possible
- watch funny programmes or movies, or sad ones - laughter and tears are great at purging those toxins

Go well everyone!
Some of these things are good ideas, though none of them will make you immune to coronavirus. And honey is full of sugar.
MeghanMarkle1992
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Oh dear well that sums up NHS Doctors... (sorry if this comment is gonna annoy people)
Later they tried to deny it, saying the line was cut off. No apology or nothing. That's receptionists for you I guess.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Later they tried to deny it, saying the line was cut off. No apology or nothing. That's receptionists for you I guess.
That's ridiculous of them do these people even have qualifications or know how to remain calm? (Sounds insulting I know)
MeghanMarkle1992
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
That's ridiculous of them do these people even have qualifications or know how to remain calm? (Sounds insulting I know)
Doubtful. They're just asking everyone who calls if they've travelled abroad recently, regardless of where they've come from, and they say that that's the protocol. All I know is, I was nearly denied an appointment for something completely unrelated, thanks to coronavirus hysteria. I had to speak to 111 who said it was fine for me to go in. In a way I'm glad they're taking it so seriously but for me it just made my day 100 times more stressful than it had to be.
Last edited by MeghanMarkle1992; 2 weeks ago
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
GP receptionists are often fairly clueless about medical procedures imhe.

111 are unfortunately also a bit under-informed at present, they've apparently been telling people coming back from Italy that they don't need to self-isolate. This has now been corrected we are told.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Not NHS Doctors but random workers as receptionists. Some are decent and the rest are horrible without proper training. Don't blame the actual health professionals.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
British Airways have suddenly stopped all flights to Italy. Ryanair and Alitalia are continuing.

This leaves thousands of Brits stranded in Italy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (44)
59.46%
No (30)
40.54%

Watched Threads