Coronavirus Megathread: UK goes into full lockdown

Watch
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by travelcollegeguy)
but what is the bigger picture. Unless there is something they are not telling us I am struggling to see why this is worse then the flu. People die from flu every year but none of this happens, people die of cancer, in car crashes.

Flu is dangerous for older people more then younger people so what is the difference between this and flu?
Because this is a completely new virus so nobody has immunity - it has the potential to spread to the entire population. With flu, people will already be immune to some of the strains in circulation each year, plus loads of people - especially vulnerable people - get the annual winter flu vaccination, so are protected.

Therefore, Covid-19 has the potential to spread to far more people, so even if the death rate is relatively low in percentage terms, the absolute number of deaths could be massive. If millions of people catch it then hundreds of thousands of people will die.

Plus, the NHS does not have enough ventilators & intensive care beds for every single patient who will develop a severe case and will need that support. Therefore, a lot of people who could potentially have been saved will die, if we do not manage to slow the spread, and 'flatten the curve' of the epidemic.
travelcollegeguy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
you don't get it, the aim of shutting schools for at least 2-4 weeks is to slow down the spread so that more people can be treated in hospitals, gradually. if everyone gets sick at the same time, a lot of people won't get any treatment cause of lack of space in hospitals/staff
I get that but they say that English football is cancelled until 3rd April at least. Italy are in lockdown until April. If schools close for 2-4 weeks what happens after that. Will the virus go away. What if it comes back again in November like they are predicting. Are we really going to go through all of this again in November
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I get that but they say that English football is cancelled until 3rd April at least. Italy are in lockdown until April. If schools close for 2-4 weeks what happens after that. Will the virus go away. What if it comes back again in November like they are predicting. Are we really going to go through all of this again in November
who knows. but it's better than dying or having to live with lung damage for the rest of your life imo..
travelcollegeguy
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
yeah but someone needs to tell us. The government are not being clear with us in any way. We can't as a society end up having more then a year of having no school, no sport, no social interaction, no travelling being in lockdown, It would just fall apart, there would be riots.
Ciel.
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
yeah but someone needs to tell us. The government are not being clear with us in any way. We can't as a society end up having more then a year of having no school, no sport, no social interaction, no travelling being in lockdown, It would just fall apart, there would be riots.
because they don't know, the virus is pretty new.
travelcollegeguy
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
because they don't know, the virus is pretty new.
so how come we didn't have this with swine flu or Ebola. They were new viruses but schools, sporting fixtures were not cancelled then. I think partly its the media's fault to be honest. Stop social media for at least 3 months and people won't panic as much. As the saying goes no news is good news
Ciel.
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
so how come we didn't have this with swine flu or Ebola. They were new viruses but schools, sporting fixtures were not cancelled then. I think partly its the media's fault to be honest. Stop social media for at least 3 months and people won't panic as much. As the saying goes no news is good news
ebola only spreads only by direct contact with the blood or other fluids. corona spreads super easily, it can even live on a soft surface for up to like 3 hours. so you can catch it even if you're not in direct contact with anyone.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
A lot of these things DID happen with swine flu

Although swine flu had a much shorter incubation period, had anti virals (tamiflu) that were effective at minimising symptoms, and within 4 months there was a vaccine (covid-19 is likely to take 18 months for a flu to be developed).
Tenya Iida
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
mcm bham cancelled. artists who were going to attend are going to lose the income they would have earned and thats disheartening.
travelcollegeguy
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by PQ)
A lot of these things DID happen with swine flu

Although swine flu had a much shorter incubation period, had anti virals (tamiflu) that were effective at minimising symptoms, and within 4 months there was a vaccine (covid-19 is likely to take 18 months for a flu to be developed).
ok so what do they do then, close schools for 18 months!!!!, stop sport matches and close down cities sorry but that is not practical?
Charzhino
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Just seems very strange we are still allowing mass gatherings whereas everywhere else in the world are clamping down.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
ok so what do they do then, close schools for 18 months!!!!, stop sport matches and close down cities sorry but that is not practical?
That isn't what's happening?
Schools are still open. Event organisers are making decisions on each event (personally I think Scotland has made a better call that England on this).
bj27
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
because ebola will kill people so quickly they can't spread to the next host. can't spread a virus if you're dead
Last edited by bj27; 2 weeks ago
travelcollegeguy
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by PQ)
That isn't what's happening?
Schools are still open. Event organisers are making decisions on each event (personally I think Scotland has made a better call that England on this).
yeah but you look at what some schools are doing, some university's are just doing online teaching, some schools in the UK will close so do they shut up shop for 18 months
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
yeah but you look at what some schools are doing, some university's are just doing online teaching, some schools in the UK will close so do they shut up shop for 18 months
A lot of schools and universities are preparing for online teaching or closing a week early for Easter because at the moment the situation is changing every day - in 3 weeks time it is likely (hopeful) that the situation will be clearer and longer term plans can then be made.
WoodlandSorcerer
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by bj27)
because ebola will kill people so quickly they can't spread to the next host. can't spread a virus if you're dead
Of course you can. Coming into close proximity and/or contact with a dying and recently deceased person can give you the virus. If the virus can survive for up to 3 hours on a soft surface then it’ll be able to live for much longer in a squishy, warm and wet corpse.
Last edited by WoodlandSorcerer; 2 weeks ago
Greywolftwo
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I don’t understand why they aren’t shutting schools down in Scotland, Wales and England. They have shut down schools in NI.
travelcollegeguy
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yeah I know the situation might be a bit clearer but I have never been so worried about my future. Am I actually going to be able to move in with my friends come September. Will university still have online teaching then. Why the hell did this have to happen ): it's not helping my anxiety either
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Greywolftwo)
I don’t understand why they aren’t shutting schools down in Scotland, Wales and England. They have shut down schools in NI.
IKR
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Greywolftwo)
Because of the massive impact it will have on the rest of the country and it will do very little to stem the virus. Children have very little to worry about, better to keep them all together for the majority of the day rather than wondering around free to do whatever for months.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (44)
59.46%
No (30)
40.54%

Watched Threads