Watch
bobby147
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MeghanMarkle1992)
Not in recent times.
Apart from the black plague, there have been none as bas as this.
HIV/AIDs before introduction of drugs to treat it.
West African Ebola pandemic
1918 Spanish flu, depending on how you define recent
Lets not forget way more people die of the flu each year but there are no sensationalist headlines.

And that's just the top of my head. Yeah ,we should be worried, but this isn`t the apocalypse some people are making it out to be.
I guess its just that this is the first pandemic many of the social media generation which makes up this website population have experienced that they can remember, hence the panicking.
travelcollegeguy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
Anyway, on to the actual news today.

Negative -
I am mostly worried about the lack of testing. Up until now we have actually been doing a reasonable job of testing cases when you look at the numbers of cases tested by each nation. But the news that non-severe cases won't be tested any more, is really worrying.

South korea showed how effective mass testing was as part of a bigger strategy, and not testing potentially infected people does two things: 1 - it enables people who think they may have it, to presume they don't and carry on normal life (infecting others), and 2, it means that from now on the numbers (which were all ready very unrelaible) of new cases are now entirely unreliable. E.g. it should be good news that today there weren't too many new cases, but if the criteria for being tested has changed, than its not good news at all.

Positive -
The EU is actually doing the right thing. Their announcement that they will pool all their medical resources is brilliant, and just what needs to happen. The EU needs to act like a single nation, that can do what China did and pull resources away from regions without many cases, and into places where the medical infrastructure is being overloaded..

For brexiteers its a mixed bag. Many will point to the relaxed boarder controls as a negative as it makes this easier to spread.. but if the EU can actually manage to utilise its medical and manufacturing resources as a single body.. than this will show one of the biggest strengths of the EU concept.
This just shows. You think that is positive news. Its not positive news. Positive news would be Italy coming out of lockdown, positive news would be restating football

Am I ever going to be able to see my grandparents again. Positive news would be them saying yep it's safe.

There is no positive news
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Not in recent times.
Apart from the black plague, there have been none as bas as this.
You mean, apart from AIDS (36 million deaths), various influenza episodes (between two and 50 million deaths each), the 1665 plague that killed 100,000 in London alone, various others that killed up to a million each, and various cholera episodes (a million each). The Black Death killed about 100-200 million.

You are wittering over something much smaller.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by travelcollegeguy)
This just shows. You think that is positive news. Its not positive news. Positive news would be Italy coming out of lockdown, positive news would be restating football

Am I ever going to be able to see my grandparents again. Positive news would be them saying yep it's safe.

Just go see them, I saw mine on Friday at a family party.
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The sixties were better. Boomers had better life opportunities than we do. it's not hard to see. We are not living in the best of times, not by a long mile.
only if you were white, loved terrible architecture and didnt die from asbestos lol
MeghanMarkle1992
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by BlueIndigoViolet)
only if you were white, loved terrible architecture and didnt die from asbestos lol
I'm white so...:dontknow: lol
travelcollegeguy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
Just go see them, I saw mine on Friday at a family party.
I would if the care home had not told me I cant visit them!
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Give them a ring, I'm sure they will appreciate it.
travelcollegeguy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Um problem is the care home isnt the best and they dont have phones by their beds
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Arrange for them to get a tablet/smart phone and get on facetime/skype to them.
Arrange to wave through the window.
Write them a letter.
Ring them up.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Um problem is the care home isnt the best and they dont have phones by their beds
Do they not have mobile phones?
Greywolftwo
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Name:  094F935B-C51D-40A6-BEB6-3BBFC49E71C4.jpg.jpeg
Views: 24
Size:  28.0 KB

Forgot to add context: this was a post on Twitter by an Italian scientist currently researching the virus.
Last edited by Greywolftwo; 1 week ago
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The sixties were better. Boomers had better life opportunities than we do. it's not hard to see. We are not living in the best of times, not by a long mile.
Of course! Apart from not having many vaccinations, polio and TB still common, no indoor toilets in many or even most houses, not many houses with central heating, many without running hot water, pretty unvaried diet, two TV channels, cars that rotted as soon as it rained, only about 5% of the population going to tertiary education, having to join a year-long queue to get a telephone installed ... . It was bliss!
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
those born in the 60s are still alive now, but are at far more risk of dying to this than you or me.. and those who were in adulthood in the 60s lived through WW2.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Oh your right...

27 countries agreeing to pool their vital medical resources together to help stop people dying...

That's no where near as good news as the footy being back on.

Convinced your a troll now.
travelcollegeguy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
Do they not have mobile phones?
Nope they dont know how to use mobile phones. And loads of older people dont. I just want this to be over to be honest I dont think I can bare it if this is still news. I want to complete my uni degree, see my family again, get a part time job during the summer and see my friends.

Even when I finish uni it would still be bad, think of all the jobs that WILL be lost, in the tourism industry especially
Greywolftwo
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
Of course! Apart from not having many vaccinations, polio and TB still common, no indoor toilets in many or even most houses, not many houses with central heating, many without running hot water, pretty unvaried diet, two TV channels, cars that rotted as soon as it rained, only about 5% of the population going to tertiary education, having to join a year-long queue to get a telephone installed ... . It was bliss!
MeghanMarkle1992 your username says it all...
travelcollegeguy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
Oh your right...

27 countries agreeing to pool their vital medical resources together to help stop people dying...

That's no where near as good news as the footy being back on.

Convinced your a troll now.
I am not a troll. I am worried. You might want the UK in lockdown for a year with depression, anxiety, job losses, suicides but I dont.

Why isn't Italy improving, why isnt Spain improving?
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Nope they dont know how to use mobile phones. And loads of older people dont. I just want this to be over to be honest I dont think I can bare it if this is still news. I want to complete my uni degree, see my family again, get a part time job during the summer and see my friends.

Even when I finish uni it would still be bad, think of all the jobs that WILL be lost, in the tourism industry especially
We all want it to be over but that isn't going to change reality.
MeghanMarkle1992
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
I'd take it if it meant not living in a pandemic lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (44)
59.46%
No (30)
40.54%

Watched Threads