Coronavirus Megathread: UK goes into full lockdown

Watch
Greywolftwo
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Who was it that said they know a pregnant woman who was punched while trying to reach for toilet rolls?
bobby147
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by PQ)
Are you sure that the people coughing weren't coughing because they also have asthma or some other condition that results in a longstanding cough? The self isolation guidance only talks about people who have a *new* cough. Plenty of people live with chronic coughs.
Well I cant be certain obviously if those people just had it now or chronic.But most people reasonably would just assume the worst just for precaution.

But I my statement ,refers just more generally to people coming who are unwell who arent chronic ,I'm not just focusing on people on that particular train.Im just observing that people are coming into work sick regardless of the new advice.

In my Mums workplace ,people are coming in who are coughing or unwell but they just assume it's a cold so they dont self-isolate.

In my sisters school,for instance,people come in were are unwell (who were well before)but they arent allowed home.My sister once threw up in classroom but still wasnt allowed to go home.Another reason for govt to close schools,since some care more about grades than students wellbeing.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by bobby147)
Well I cant be certain obviously if those people just had it now or chronic.But most people reasonably would just assume the worst just for precaution.
No they wouldn't, not when SSP won't even cover the rent let alone bills on top.

Most people push through the illness because they don't have any other options.
Pharyngotympanic
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Greywolftwo)
Who was it that said they know a pregnant woman who was punched while trying to reach for toilet rolls?
I know there was some female boxer in the US(?) who got into a fight and ended up needing an emergency c-section. Though from the sound of it, she was as much at fault as whoever she was fighting with.
bobby147
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
No they wouldn't, not when SSP won't even cover the rent let alone bills on top.

Most people push through the illness because they don't have any other options.
When I said assume the worst,I meant that from the POV of seeing others coughing during a pandemic,not the person coughing.
Then it's up to the govt to provide some a decent net if people,especially those on precarious jobs,need to take time off.Doing this should be part of any govt financial response to this pandemic.
Greywolftwo
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Pharyngotympanic)
I know there was some female boxer in the US(?) who got into a fight and ended up needing an emergency c-section. Though from the sound of it, she was as much at fault as whoever she was fighting with.
No someone on this thread said that someone they knew was pregnant, she was shopping and she was reaching for toilet rolls and she was punched in the stomach by someone. Apparently according to them the woman is in hospital and could lose her baby.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
The truth is that nobody, least of all you, knows the best way to handle this emergency, and that may still be true when we are the other side of it.

The government is following the advice of those (non-political) scientists appointed to roles that specifically deal with such matters. Not following that advice would be criticised by you, just as following it is. The fact that other countries have different strategies is irrelevant; they have different situations, resources, cultures. The fact that other scientists disagree with the appointed experts is irrelevant and normal (there will always be disagreement in such circumstances).

Your talk of mishandling is just so much (obviously politically-inspired) noise. If your favourite sainted granddad had won the election in December he would probably have convened a vote among his party members in order to decide how to react and we can all see how long process that takes.
I didn't vote for Corbyn.

The advice from the CMO (if it was from him) about herd immunity and no need to do testing is now widely confirmed to be wrong and the government are backtracking from it.

It isn't clear if the government were following his advice, or just (more likely) attempting to cover for the fact that they know the NHS cannot cope and therefore adopting a callous attitude of 'let the people suffer as they will' (in fact this is still essentially the policy) and misusing the role of CMO to puppet that cover.

Every single step by the government so far has been too late and frequently wrong. TSR is a legitimate place to query that and these threads the right forum to do it.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What? That was bad.
bobby147
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Rock fan,page 73 ,middle of the page.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
RockFan i think
Pharyngotympanic
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No someone on this thread said that someone they knew was pregnant, she was shopping and she was reaching for toilet rolls and she was punched in the stomach by someone. Apparently according to them the woman is in hospital and could lose her baby.
A few days ago I watched a video pack of hyenas eat a zebra alive. There are people in this country who make even them look well behaved. At least none of the hyenas were fighting.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 1st superstar)
RockFan i think
There's nothing googling on news on it. Sounds like an urban legend?
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
There's nothing googling on news on it. Sounds like an urban legend?
maybe
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
I didn't vote for Corbyn.

The advice from the CMO (if it was from him) about herd immunity and no need to do testing is now widely confirmed to be wrong and the government are backtracking from it. I suggest you re-watch what he said about herd immunity. It was about the longer term, not a short-term goal and certainly not part of coping with the emergency. You should also note exactly what has been said about testing. It isn't what you seem to think it is.

It isn't clear if the government were following his advice, or just (more likely) attempting to cover for the fact that they know the NHS cannot cope and therefore adopting a callous attitude of 'let the people suffer as they will' (in fact this is still essentially the policy) and misusing the role of CMO to puppet that cover. The government has stated in direct terms that the danger is that the NHS will not be able to cope. That is obvious to all anyway. The aim is to spread the load over a longer period. It is expected that most people will catch the virus, and the goal is to keep it away from the vulnerable and to keep everyone not seriously affected out of the health system for as long as possible.

Every single step by the government so far has been too late and frequently wrong. How do you know? On what measure? TSR is a legitimate place to query that and these threads the right forum to do it. We all know that even if the government had followed advice to do exactly what you are saying you would still be aattacking what it is doing because it is a Conservative government.
Comments above. You seem to want to stop the virus dead with no harm done. This has propably never been possible. The government and its advisers know this and are planning mitigation, not avoidance.

You seem to be oblivious of the fact that UK deaths per million of population are behind behind those of comparable European countries. This is a success. It has bought time for training, purchasing and preparation within the NHS. It has pushed the bulge of cases back a bit to nearer a period of warmer weather when viruses tend to become less transmissible. The aim now is to flatten the peak down to nearer what can be coped with. The overall number of cases will probably end up at the same level as the other countries but it is essential that they happen over a longer period.

As for testing, the only really important measures at this stage are how many need hospital treatement and how many die. Lab tests are unnecessary to detect either case. Testing people with no or weak symptoms just uses up lab, financial and nursing resources to little purpose. The WHO disagrees, as do journalists anmd kibbitzers like you, because they want to track things and numbers are the only way for them to do so. For the NHS things are different.
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
...people get punched at supermarkets all the time! Does that mean it's corona related, Jesus Christ. Sensational wording in news casting and paper headlines got you....

"Woman trips and falls amid corona virus. Corona makes people weak."

Nope.
Greywolftwo
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
...people get punched at supermarkets all the time! Does that mean it's corona related, Jesus Christ. Sensational wording in news casting and paper headlines got you....

"Woman trips and falls amid corona virus. Corona makes people weak."

Nope.
It’s not in the news because it’s someone that they actually know!
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It’s not in the news because it’s someone that they actually know!
Suuuure. Still, how is it corona linked....how???? Can you tell me how...i just want to cut through the fatty and greasy scare mongering that the media does like we're all a bunch of divs. Businesses are cashing out over shopping frenzies. The 1% couldn't be happier. Shutdowns are far fetched gestures to legitimise the cash out retail frenzy and large expenditure cuts due to shutdowns and lockdowns.
Greywolftwo
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Suuuure. Still, how is it corona linked....how???? Can you tell me how...i just want to cut through the fatty and greasy scare mongering that the media does like we're all a bunch of divs. Businesses are cashing out over shopping frenzies. The 1% couldn't be happier. Shutdowns are far fetched gestures to legitimise the cash out retail frenzy and large expenditure cuts due to shutdowns and lockdowns.
Happened because someone was panic buying
lost.soul
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I suspect the primary schools shutting whilst people have to work means that single mums will regret their bad and formerly inconsequential choices like never before lol
Woahhhh wtf?
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Happened because someone was panic buying
Exactly. Panic buying. The stupidity of it. Yes go get yourself killed for things you don't need while CEO's cash out in the process over a virus we over hyped, says the government who people trust so much, the same entity that causes war, whilst the news channels casually report it in their ivory towers rather than moving onto actual news or useful advice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (45)
60%
No (30)
40%

Watched Threads