vrbdx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am a student from EU and I am applying to study Veterinary Medicine in the UK. Unfortunately I got rejected from four out of five of my choices and apparently none of the universities offer Extra for Veterinary Medicine. The only choice that it’s still being considered is Veterinary Nursing but it’s not necessarily what I want to do. Is there anything I can do to still apply to Veterinary Medicine? Two of the universities told me that my application was very strong but due to the competition they could not offer me a place. I have heard about people being offered a place after getting rejected because of the dropout in places. Is it likely to happen? Also one university rejected me because of not stating my work experience in UCAS form (I did not do that because the organisation I am applying with told me not to do it). Can they reconsider it now that it is fixed and stated there?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by vrbdx)
I am a student from EU and I am applying to study Veterinary Medicine in the UK. Unfortunately I got rejected from four out of five of my choices and apparently none of the universities offer Extra for Veterinary Medicine. The only choice that it’s still being considered is Veterinary Nursing but it’s not necessarily what I want to do. Is there anything I can do to still apply to Veterinary Medicine? Two of the universities told me that my application was very strong but due to the competition they could not offer me a place. I have heard about people being offered a place after getting rejected because of the dropout in places. Is it likely to happen? Also one university rejected me because of not stating my work experience in UCAS form (I did not do that because the organisation I am applying with told me not to do it). Can they reconsider it now that it is fixed and stated there?
1. Work experience is your responsibility as is filling out the form. Its the school which offers the place, not your employer, hence you should have asked the correct way to proceed from the schools. Ask them again if they will reconsider, but dont hold your breath.

2. Are you saying you didnt state any experience on UCAS? Especially in the light schools ask for it? Where would the sense in that be?

3. Your application wasnt as strong, you need feedback.

4. Then focus on exams as getting a place with the known grades is easier.

5. Remedy the weaknesses and just reapply in a gap year or just be ready for clearing.

6. Some schools limit how often you can apply so be sure your application is an improved one.
vrbdx
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
1. Work experience is your responsibility as is filling out the form. Its the school which offers the place, not your employer, hence you should have asked the correct way to proceed from the schools. Ask them again if they will reconsider, but dont hold your breath.

2. Are you saying you didnt state any experience on UCAS? Especially in the light schools ask for it? Where would the sense in that be?

3. Your application wasnt as strong, you need feedback.

4. Then focus on exams as getting a place with the known grades is easier.

5. Remedy the weaknesses and just reapply in a gap year or just be ready for clearing.

6. Some schools limit how often you can apply so be sure your application is an improved one.
I did not state any work experience on UCAS since that’s what I have been told to do. They told me universities send forms to fill in and all of them (except the one that rejected me) actually did.
I asked for feedback and that’s what I got.
Are any Veterinary Medicine courses available in Clearing then?
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by vrbdx)
I did not state any work experience on UCAS since that’s what I have been told to do. They told me universities send forms to fill in and all of them (except the one that rejected me) actually did.
Clearing doesnt open till July.
There are limited schools so you might as well ring round and see which ones arent full and you can use extra for.
vrbdx
Rep:
?
Clearing doesnt open till July.
There are limited schools so you might as well ring round and see which ones arent full and you can use extra for.
I know it doesn’t but one university already told me they don’t offer any courses in Extra and Clearing so I’m curious if it’s the same for all of them but thank you so much!
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by vrbdx)
I know it doesn’t but one university already told me they don’t offer any courses in Extra and Clearing so I’m curious if it’s the same for all of them but thank you so much!
My last bit of advice (because I dont feel its going in) if it is really what you want to do, then take a gap and dont settle for second best. Get the grades and go from there.
erin04
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My friend was rejected from her veterinary choices but received an unconditional for her back up choice however because it's not what she wants to do, she's decided to take a year out and get more experience so her application is stronger for next year. If veterinary is what you really want to do, take a year out, get more experience and try and apply next year. If it's what your heart is set on and what's meant for you, you'll do it. Good luck and try not to be too disheartened!
vrbdx
Rep:
?
My last bit of advice (because I dont feel its going in) if it is really what you want to do, then take a gap and dont settle for second best. Get the grades and go from there.
I will have to consider pros and cons and decide. Thank you!
animalmagic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by vrbdx)
Do you need an organisation to apply with if you are from the EU? Can't you just apply directly through UCAS by yourself? All the information you need is on this forum and lots like myself are happy to help. As others have said, concentrate on getting the grades you need first time round, take a gap year, do more relevant work experience and apply again this year before the October deadline.
vrbdx
Rep:
?
(Original post by animalmagic)
Do you need an organisation to apply with if you are from the EU? Can't you just apply directly through UCAS by yourself? All the information you need is on this forum and lots like myself are happy to help. As others have said, concentrate on getting the grades you need first time round, take a gap year, do more relevant work experience and apply again this year before the October deadline.
I don’t think you have to but it’s easier because they’re experienced in that and know what to do... at least I thought so but if I decide to reapply in October I will do it by myself then
animalmagic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by vrbdx)
I don’t think you have to but it’s easier because they’re experienced in that and know what to do... at least I thought so but if I decide to reapply in October I will do it by myself then
Definitely, lots of people on here who can give you the right advice for sure
patri72
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by vrbdx)
Nottingham went into Clearing last year. That's how I got in, despite initially being rejected post-interview. I'm in their April cohort and I start my course at the end of this month. Feel free to ask me any questions.
Last edited by patri72; 1 year ago
vrbdx
Rep:
?
(Original post by patri72)
Nottingham went into Clearing last year. That's how I got in, despite initially being rejected post-interview. I'm in their April cohort and I start my course at the end of this month. Feel free to ask me any questions.
I emailed them last week to ask if they will go into Extra and Clearing and they said their Veterinary Medicine courses don’t go into Extra and it’s very unlikely that they will go into Clearing so I don’t know:/
patri72
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by vrbdx)
I emailed them last week to ask if they will go into Extra and Clearing and they said their Veterinary Medicine courses don’t go into Extra and it’s very unlikely that they will go into Clearing so I don’t know:/
Even though that's what they said, you never know. Think about it, there are people who put Notts as their insurance, so if they get into their firm choice, their places at Nottingham become available. There are also people who don't meet the grades.

Last year, I had no hope left but I checked the Clearing page on Results Day and surprise !

Don't get discouraged.Even if they don't go into Clearing you can get your grades, take a gap year, do more work exp and reapply.

I'm rooting for you 🙂
vrbdx
Rep:
?
(Original post by patri72)
Even though that's what they said, you never know. Think about it, there are people who put Notts as their insurance, so if they get into their firm choice, their places at Nottingham become available. There are also people who don't meet the grades.

Last year, I had no hope left but I checked the Clearing page on Results Day and surprise !

Don't get discouraged.Even if they don't go into Clearing you can get your grades, take a gap year, do more work exp and reapply.

I'm rooting for you 🙂
That’s what I was thinking about all of the unis but at the same time all of them say they don’t go into Clearing so I don’t know what to think.

I would take a gap year but at the same time since I’m from EU and UK left EU I don’t know if the funding will be available European students for 2021 entry as well and I won’t be able to pay for it myself so that’s why I want to get in this year so badly.

Thank you!☺️
patri72
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by vrbdx)
That’s what I was thinking about all of the unis but at the same time all of them say they don’t go into Clearing so I don’t know what to think.

I would take a gap year but at the same time since I’m from EU and UK left EU I don’t know if the funding will be available European students for 2021 entry as well and I won’t be able to pay for it myself so that’s why I want to get in this year so badly.

Thank you!☺️
I understand since I'm an EU student too.

In that case, good luck and keep us updated !
Vetdreamer
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by vrbdx)
Hi!
I am in the same position re rejections. So I am looking at applying to universities outside of the UK. Have you applied to any non-UK?
vrbdx
Rep:
?
I’ve applied in Ireland too, what about you?
vrbdx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vetdreamer)
Hi!
I am in the same position re rejections. So I am looking at applying to universities outside of the UK. Have you applied to any non-UK?
Vetdreamer
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by vrbdx)
No. I do not have Maths or Physics at the level that they wanted.....😢
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.34%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (25)
14.12%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise