Cherrygrape1234
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi
Please could someone explain limiting factors graphs to me for biology related to photosynthesis. Currently, I am doing my GCSEs but I don’t get the idea how u can tell how something is the limiting factor! Many thanks
Waterlife
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Cherrygrape1234)
Hi
Please could someone explain limiting factors graphs to me for biology related to photosynthesis. Currently, I am doing my GCSEs but I don’t get the idea how u can tell how something is the limiting factor! Many thanks
Hi,

So what you need to think about is the x and y axis. Usually on the y axis it will be rate of photosynthesis and let us say the x axis is light intensity. First the graph will have a linear relationship (ie light intensity will be directly proportional to rate of photosynthesis ). Once the curve starts to level off (i.e plateau) this means the rate is constant. In this section another factor such as Carbon Dioxide is limiting any further increase so the rate becomes constant.

Does that make sense?
Cherrygrape1234
Rep:
?
(Original post by Waterlife)
Hi,

So what you need to think about is the x and y axis. Usually on the y axis it will be rate of photosynthesis and let us say the x axis is light intensity. First the graph will have a linear relationship (ie light intensity will be directly proportional to rate of photosynthesis ). Once the curve starts to level off (i.e plateau) this means the rate is constant. In this section another factor such as Carbon Dioxide is limiting any further increase so the rate becomes constant.

Does that make sense?
It makes sense up until this part: this means the rate is constant. In this section another factor such as Carbon Dioxide is limiting any further increase so the rate becomes constant. I dont get how something else suddenly becomes the limiting factor surely if the graph becomes constant the light intensity is constant? Please explain!!
Waterlife
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Cherrygrape1234)
It makes sense up until this part: this means the rate is constant. In this section another factor such as Carbon Dioxide is limiting any further increase so the rate becomes constant. I dont get how something else suddenly becomes the limiting factor surely if the graph becomes constant the light intensity is constant? Please explain!!
The light intensity is constant but a factor is preventing light intensity to increase with rate of photosynthesis. Think of it as a road block so cars can't get past and hence you would need to remove the road blocks so cars can get past. At GCSE it would be sufficient to say ' light intensity levels off and hence something else is the limiting factor' and that would give you the marks. At GCSE I found this quite confusing too however quoting what I have said should always give you the mark in exams.
Cherrygrape1234
Rep:
?
(Original post by Waterlife)
The light intensity is constant but a factor is preventing light intensity to increase with rate of photosynthesis. Think of it as a road block so cars can't get past and hence you would need to remove the road blocks so cars can get past. At GCSE it would be sufficient to say ' light intensity levels off and hence something else is the limiting factor' and that would give you the marks. At GCSE I found this quite confusing too however quoting what I have said should always give you the mark in exams.
Omg this makes sooo much sense now I don’t know how I didn’t get it before! Thank you soooo much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (393)
56.55%
I don't have everything I need (302)
43.45%

Watched Threads