Tdjdj
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I started sixth form in September and am studying the same A levels as my cousin with the only difference being that she took English Language whereas I took English Literature. I took these A levels because I genuinely felt like I'd enjoy these subjects yet I feel like a copy cat and feel like my family judges me for copying her (she's a year older). I've always known that my cousin was into psychology and I always expressed interest in law. But after a few months in my psychology class I've realised that I really want to do psychology in university but she's also applied to do psychology and now I feel anxious about the fact that I feel like she and my family as in my cousins and uncles/aunties will see me as a copy cat. I'm genuinely really upset about this situation, I suffer from anxiety and have had a few anxiety attacks whilst thinking about it and I really don't know what to do, my biggest fear is being judged.

What are your opinions on this.
harrisong12
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No need to worry!

My sister was the same (she is younger than me) she used to copy me all the time.

But I then realized it was ok to be copied, as I liked the fact she was following in my footsteps.

Honestly, most of it will be paranoia and in your head. I am sure your family will think the world of you for doing something you enjoy.

Best of luck.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Tdjdj)
I started sixth form in September and am studying the same A levels as my cousin with the only difference being that she took English Language whereas I took English Literature. I took these A levels because I genuinely felt like I'd enjoy these subjects yet I feel like a copy cat and feel like my family judges me for copying her (she's a year older). I've always known that my cousin was into psychology and I always expressed interest in law. But after a few months in my psychology class I've realised that I really want to do psychology in university but she's also applied to do psychology and now I feel anxious about the fact that I feel like she and my family as in my cousins and uncles/aunties will see me as a copy cat. I'm genuinely really upset about this situation, I suffer from anxiety and have had a few anxiety attacks whilst thinking about it and I really don't know what to do, my biggest fear is being judged.

What are your opinions on this.
You must choose the course that interests you the most so if that just happens to be Psychology, there is nothing wrong with applying to the same course as your cousin.

You may wish to avoid going to the same uni as her, however.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (276)
15.5%
Uncertainty around my education (279)
15.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (177)
9.94%
Isolating with family (126)
7.07%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (79)
4.44%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (149)
8.37%
Loneliness (176)
9.88%
Financial worries (72)
4.04%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (163)
9.15%
Exposure to negative news/social media (126)
7.07%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (158)
8.87%

Watched Threads