Are there different severities of PCOS?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I was diagnosed with PCOS at 16 after missing several periods and they confirmed that I had it because I had cysts in my ovaries. I know a symptom of PCOS is excessive hair but being of Indian heritage, having excessive hair is pretty common and compared to a lot of girls who don't have PCOS, I do seem to have less hair on my body (even before I started to remove it) so I was confused because I've read about many women with PCOS struggling with excessive facial hair but I never did.... is this because PCOS comes in different severities? Doctors have asked if I feel like I have excessive hair but even they were like its not too far out of the ordinary (obviously the hair is dark so its more obvious), I mean its a little more than the 'average' female but compared to an Indian female, it is pretty normal
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, there are different severities and not everyone has all the symptoms.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by black tea)
Yes, there are different severities and not everyone has all the symptoms.
I’ve realised that the only real symptom I have is absence of periods and cysts in ovaries, I mean I do lose a lil more hair than average but it’s nothing to worry about (at least I hope not) so idk maybe I’m just lucky with it, I haven’t found it affecting my mental health and most of the time I forget I even have it, it’s jusy that I’ve read so much about women feeling like they’re no longer females because of all of these symptoms but I haven’t experienced them much so it made me feel really guilty when I was diagnosed...
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Every diagnosis has different levels of severity, and affects different people in different ways.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’ve realised that the only real symptom I have is absence of periods and cysts in ovaries, I mean I do lose a lil more hair than average but it’s nothing to worry about (at least I hope not) so idk maybe I’m just lucky with it, I haven’t found it affecting my mental health and most of the time I forget I even have it, it’s jusy that I’ve read so much about women feeling like they’re no longer females because of all of these symptoms but I haven’t experienced them much so it made me feel really guilty when I was diagnosed...
I have no real symptoms either, not even irregular periods - I just have enlarged ovaries and abnormal hormone levels.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (220)
33.69%
No (433)
66.31%

Watched Threads