My 4th AS will ruin my chances at oxbridge

Watch
dxnixl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey,

So I really want to go oxbridge to study medicine. I study biology chemistry maths and computing at AS as of now.

Now I’m rlly good at the science and maths, but terrible at computing. My schools not letting me drop it and idk what to do anymore.

It’s not that I don’t try for computer science, it’s that our exam board is EDUQAS and the spec doesn’t make it clear as to what we should rlly learn. It’s all waffly and the exams are pretty strict.

I feel like even if I do get AAA and a C in computing, it’d totally screw my chances...

Any guidance? Help is appreciated
dxnixl
Rep:
?
Oops this should be posted in the A level section not Computer Science my bad
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by dxnixl)
Oops this should be posted in the A level section not Computer Science my bad
Moved to the A level forum

Why won't your school let you drop CS? I would get your parents to set up a meeting between yourselves and the school to discuss it. Maybe they would be happier with you dropping it after the AS level exams but think you could get a good grade? No way can they make you continue it into Year 13 if you and your parents are adament that you don't want to.
dxnixl
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
Moved to the A level forum

Why won't your school let you drop CS? I would get your parents to set up a meeting between yourselves and the school to discuss it. Maybe they would be happier with you dropping it after the AS level exams but think you could get a good grade? No way can they make you continue it into Year 13 if you and your parents are adament that you don't want to.
They won’t let me.

Alright here’s the thing. In my computer science mock i got an A. But not because I did well in the exam, it’s because I’ve seen and done the same questions in class before, and memorised their specific mark schemes. So now the school thinks I’ll do amazing when I really won’t because I don’t actually understand any of it.

Also I really don’t know why but they just aren’t letting me drop the subject in yr 12 (they are next year). I just don’t want a bad CS grade ruin my UCAS...
I could try getting my parents to call but I’ve already spoken to the head
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How will it screw your chances? It looks like you will be predicted an A in CS, so that will look good on your application. If you are fortunate enough to get an offer then it will almost certainly be on 3 A-levels.
dxnixl
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
How will it screw your chances? It looks like you will be predicted an A in CS, so that will look good on your application. If you are fortunate enough to get an offer then it will almost certainly be on 3 A-levels.
I’m predicted an A for my AS exam. The uni’s will most likely base my application off the real AS grades I’ll achieve in summer. I’m just hoping it’s based off the 3 AS-levels (I want to further to A2) soley
David Getling
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey,

So I really want to go oxbridge to study medicine. I study biology chemistry maths and computing at AS as of now.

Now I’m rlly good at the science and maths, but terrible at computing. My schools not letting me drop it and idk what to do anymore.

It’s not that I don’t try for computer science, it’s that our exam board is EDUQAS and the spec doesn’t make it clear as to what we should rlly learn. It’s all waffly and the exams are pretty strict.

I feel like even if I do get AAA and a C in computing, it’d totally screw my chances...

Schools love to play God, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if forcing a fourth subject on students is completely illegal. In your position I would simply refuse to attend the computing lessons. If the school gets uppity about this a call to your LEA, if they are not an academy, should sort them out quickly. Also a letter from a lawyer usually has most heads wetting themselves.
Compost
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've known someone get an E at AS and still get an offer (and then a place) at Cambridge.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey,

All you need to get into Oxford for medicine is A*AA. They should let you drop CS at school, but Oxford won't care about that 4th A level.

To me that CS is a waste of space.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It won't go to legal action .....OP has already said the school will let him drop the subject after AS but won't let him do so before as they think he is on track for an A.

I can see both sides of the coin on this one - if I was OP I would stick with it for the rest of Year 12 but no longer. Although I can't see that they could actually force you to stick with it for a few more months (especially if your parents backed you up) at the same time, it probably is better to get a qualification for it as you are likely to get at least a B/C if not the A the school expects.

Oxford won't care about the 4th A level so it is just a nuisance not a deal breaker.
David Getling
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Thank you for this suggestion, but by doing this I have a pretty good feeling the school will hate me.

I fear they might just kick me out the college all together for making too much of a fuss about it
Schools rely on both students and their parents being frightened of upsetting them in case the student gets picked on. But they would be in a lot of trouble if their picking on a student got reported.

They can't kick you out for standing up to them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (75)
15.18%
Uncertainty around my education (82)
16.6%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (45)
9.11%
Isolating with family (32)
6.48%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (21)
4.25%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (40)
8.1%
Loneliness (48)
9.72%
Financial worries (18)
3.64%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (49)
9.92%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
6.88%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (50)
10.12%

Watched Threads