Classics and English at Oxford

Watch
lizzyh123321
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I am applying for this course this year and was wondering if anyone knew some good books to familiarise myself with both subjects and give me ideas for my personal statement as I took classical civilisation and classical greek gcse but am not taking it at a-level so I specifically want books for classics, but also some english literature studies books. If anyone has any tips to do with either course they would be greatly appreciated.
Marcus...
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by lizzyh123321)
I am applying for this course this year and was wondering if anyone knew some good books to familiarise myself with both subjects and give me ideas for my personal statement as I took classical civilisation and classical greek gcse but am not taking it at a-level so I specifically want books for classics, but also some english literature studies books. If anyone has any tips to do with either course they would be greatly appreciated.
I have an offer for straight English Lang and Lit at Oxford but my personal statement was focused around classical literature, as it’s my favourite. I mentioned the Aeneid, the Odyssey, and then some modern interpretations such as Atwood’s ‘The Penelopiad’.

You could potentially look at world literature and it’s influence also, so things like One Thousand and One Nights and The Epic of Gilgamesh. I mentioned these things in my interviews FYI.

Obviously these are just some things I read and of course, there is no checklist that you need to have read.
lizzyh123321
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by Marcus...)
I have an offer for straight English Lang and Lit at Oxford but my personal statement was focused around classical literature, as it’s my favourite. I mentioned the Aeneid, the Odyssey, and then some modern interpretations such as Atwood’s ‘The Penelopiad’.

You could potentially look at world literature and it’s influence also, so things like One Thousand and One Nights and The Epic of Gilgamesh. I mentioned these things in my interviews FYI.

Obviously these are just some things I read and of course, there is no checklist that you need to have read.
Thank you! Isn’t the Penelopiad amazing?! This was really helpful I just want a starting point.
Marcus...
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by lizzyh123321)
Thank you! Isn’t the Penelopiad amazing?! This was really helpful I just want a starting point.
The Penelopiad is great, I agree. No worries
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (107)
28.23%
No - I have already returned home (50)
13.19%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (71)
18.73%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (39)
10.29%
No - I live at home during term anyway (112)
29.55%

Watched Threads