The Student Room Group

should I meal prep in uni?

Hi should I mean prep for uni?
Reply 1
Ultimately, it depends on what facilities and how much space you have in your accommodation to cook and store meals as to how far you can plan ahead. Also, how much time do you want to give up to shopping and cooking, and could you do this in the available kitchen without too much disruption if it's shared?

Nothing wrong with planning what to eat so you can budget and work around your timetable and social activities, but think about variety around what you buy; eg, if you prep and freeze meat you can defrost for stir fry, curry, casserole, rather than cook and freeze several of the same meal. It's worth having some food frozen so you can have a proper meal when you are busy and tired, and making the most of leftovers. However, you should still be eating a balanced diet, and a lot of meal prep is for mains, so you would still need veg. Some meals taste better fresh, anyway; learn some recipes that can be done quickly.
Original post by Surnia
Ultimately, it depends on what facilities and how much space you have in your accommodation to cook and store meals as to how far you can plan ahead. Also, how much time do you want to give up to shopping and cooking, and could you do this in the available kitchen without too much disruption if it's shared?

Nothing wrong with planning what to eat so you can budget and work around your timetable and social activities, but think about variety around what you buy; eg, if you prep and freeze meat you can defrost for stir fry, curry, casserole, rather than cook and freeze several of the same meal. It's worth having some food frozen so you can have a proper meal when you are busy and tired, and making the most of leftovers. However, you should still be eating a balanced diet, and a lot of meal prep is for mains, so you would still need veg. Some meals taste better fresh, anyway; learn some recipes that can be done quickly.

I eat healthily at home and wondered if meal preping helathy food was the way forward in un8
Original post by oroberto1509
Hi should I mean prep for uni?

I would see how people are you sharing with, and what dedicated space you have before planning to meal prep. If you're lucky, you'll get your own shelf in the fridge and freezer, but not all accommodation will have even that.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
I would see how people are you sharing with, and what dedicated space you have before planning to meal prep. If you're lucky, you'll get your own shelf in the fridge and freezer, but not all accommodation will have even that.

Thank you for your help I'll check how much space I get
I used to some of the time.
Does save some time.
I guess alot depends on how much space you have in the fridge, if you are in halls or sharing a place.
Original post by Karisa96
I used to some of the time.
Does save some time.
I guess alot depends on how much space you have in the fridge, if you are in halls or sharing a place.

thank you for your help
You can do whatever you want
Original post by mnot
You can do whatever you want

thank you for your advice
Reply 9
Definitely. It will save you a lot of time and hassle.
Absolutely! I find batch cooking large portions to last the week so useful.
Ugh, I hate the term "Meal prep". Call it saving leftovers. That's what it is.

What I do, is when I do cook, I cook enough for 5 people (mainly because that's how many we've got at home so I can use all my old recipes) and I just put my leftovers in some boxes and store in the fridge. That gives me meals for the next few days. This works best if you're like me and will eat the same things for like a week and then do something else. Most "mEaL PrePPErS" will set aside a whole afternoon to do food for the whole week. That's dumb. If you just do leftovers, it takes the same amount of time to cook, and you aren't wasting time being rarted.
Had 1 or 2 roommates who did it, you'd save quite a bit of money doing it. For me it gets a bit boring eating refrigerated leftover food.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending