jc9991
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi, just wondering if anyone has any experiences with the SGPE course at The University of Edinburgh as I'm looking for some reviews about the course.

A different question as well is would people recommend an MSc in Finance over an MSc in Economics with the aim of going into finance afterwards? I have heard conflicting things from multiple people. Some saying that finance masters act as a 'cash cow' for unis. Others saying that it would be very helpful.

Thanks
Student556161
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I am on the SGPE, I personally wouldn't recommend it. Very large tutorial sizes, (80 students) and very limited one-to-one help. You may be fine if your maths skills are very good, but the course is very intensive with little support available. Pros: Good Uni name, and PhD opportunities if you pass as it's well respected.
jc9991
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Thanks for your reply! Would you say it’s a hard course to pass? Also do you have any knowledge on how Edinburgh University Business School is as I’ve also applied for a Finance MSc
BenRyan99
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Student556161)
I am on the SGPE, I personally wouldn't recommend it. Very large tutorial sizes, (80 students) and very limited one-to-one help. You may be fine if your maths skills are very good, but the course is very intensive with little support available. Pros: Good Uni name, and PhD opportunities if you pass as it's well respected.
I've been interested in the SGPE for a while and had a couple of questions if that's alright?

Which optional modules did you pick and how did you find them?

What sort of unis had the rest of your UK based cohort come from for their undergrad?

How tough was the maths, would you be able to get by if you were okay with maths at undergrad and was most of the maths in the econometrics modules?

Do you wish you took up an MSc Economics at a different uni and if so which did you have offers from?

What was your undergrad course and which university was it at? Did you have any internships?

Cheers!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (644)
33.45%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (816)
42.39%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.64%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (87)
4.52%

Watched Threads