Education watch - thoughts

Watch
LiberOfLondon
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Turning Point UK are running a professor watchlist - what are your thoughts?
https://mobile.twitter.com/TPointUK/...96189394595841
Kitten in boots
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I can never figure out if Turning Point are a bunch of angry conspiracy theory "libertarian" neckbeards with victim complexes or a wonderful attempt to satirise angry conspiracy theory "libertarian" neckbeards with victim complexes.
LiberOfLondon
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kitten in boots)
I can never figure out if Turning Point are a bunch of angry conspiracy theory "libertarian" neckbeards with victim complexes or a wonderful attempt to satirise angry conspiracy theory "libertarian" neckbeards with victim complexes.
Wouldn't call the girl in the video a neckbeard but each to their own.

Either way, this is well overdue. I have had teachers (these are all different ones):
Put Communist posters in the window on election day
Tell students that Mrs Thatcher was wrong to privatise the railways
Support Extinction Rebellion in assemblies
Put ”Boris Johnson has lost his authority” on a powerpoint shown to students
Campaign against the Brexit Party in mock elections (they finished 4th)
Oh yes, and I had my form tutor call me ”very pro-free market” once. I chose to take it as a compliment.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
Wouldn't call the girl in the video a neckbeard but each to their own.

Either way, this is well overdue. I have had teachers (these are all different ones):
Put Communist posters in the window on election day
Are they not entitled to?
Tell students that Mrs Thatcher was wrong to privatise the railways
QED
Support Extinction Rebellion in assemblies
Less good.
Put ”Boris Johnson has lost his authority” on a powerpoint shown to students
Well in fairness to them, to the best of ones knowledge, among students he has the popularity of a blocked toilet..
Campaign against the Brexit Party in mock elections (they finished 4th)
Same as above tbh
Oh yes, and I had my form tutor call me ”very pro-free market” once. I chose to take it as a compliment.
Ah i still remember a class mate arguing the toss over the death of capitalism with the lecturer once, albeit this was in a lesson on strategic nuclear warfare :lol:
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)

QED

Less good.

Well in fairness to them, to the best of ones knowledge, among students he has the popularity of a blocked toilet..

Same as above tbh

Ah i still remember a class mate arguing the toss over the death of capitalism with the lecturer once, albeit this was in a lesson on strategic nuclear warfare :lol:
Teachers are not supposed to promote a particular political view point. This however is different and could well be confused with having the relative merits and drawbacks of each political party.
LiberOfLondon
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by Napp)
Posters in the window at a polling station = big no no.
QED
My issue is that he didn't give an opposing view for balance.
Less good.
Agree with you there mate
Doesn't mean you should indoctrinate them into thinking that
Same as above tbh
Ditto
I may have done that once - did the teacher's last name begin with R?
Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sure would be a shame if someone wasted their time with this McCarthyism 2.0 by filling a load of bull**** reports. Although given they're complaining about the gulags not being mentioned in a lecture on Marxist theories of value, that might already be the case (or their fanbase is full of absolute wingnuts, which is quite likely).

As always though, it shows that cries from the right about "muh freeze peaches" is a pathetic cover story, that they're not about free speech but the censorship of left wingers and academics. The right wing position always seems to be - Free speech for me but not for thee (and also if you don't listen to me and force other people to listen to me, that's a violation of my free speech)
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The idea that teachers aren't going to pass on their viewpoint, is and has always been nonsense. They always have, and always will because its a natural part of teaching. Yes you can force yourself to be as neutral as possible, but that isn't conductive to good teaching. Teachers are at their best when they are talking about things they care about, are engaged or experienced in etc.

The problem isn't left-wing teachers expressing their views.. its the system (leadership/societal/admin) that prevents the small number of right-wing teachers from doing the same, and the wider soceital conditions that prevents right-wing people from entering the education proffesion.

Back in the 70s-80s, teachers were a solid-tory voting block.. That's changed now due to the position of teachers in our society. The lower status/respect they have, lower pay, less security etc. and the prevelance of creative/non-traditional subjects, have all lead to less right-wing people and more left-wing people entering the profession.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
Teachers are not supposed to promote a particular political view point.
However they do
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Are university students incapable of forming their own opinions, do they simply think what they are told?

I'm not sure they are really intelligent enough for university.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
Are university students incapable of forming their own opinions, do they simply think what they are told?

I'm not sure they are really intelligent enough for university.
I dont think that is conducive to university students mate. Unfortunately it seems to be coming more and more common when talking to people, particularly young people. Particularly when poltical points are addressed, you could replace many usernames on here with any one from their chosen ilk! It's a waste of time asking their opinion on something because you already know what they are! You are not getting their veiws, they are not giving their opionion, they are a mere mouth piece for someone elses views and opinions.
LiberOfLondon
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
Particularly when poltical points are addressed, you could replace many usernames on here with any one from their chosen ilk! It's a waste of time asking their opinion on something because you already know what they are! You are not getting their veiws, they are not giving their opionion, they are a mere mouth piece for someone elses views and opinions.
Why do I have a feeling you are talking about Queenie?
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Why do I have a feeling you are talking about Queenie?
Not just him, theres a few. Although hes a good example, I mean the just the other day on the Jordan Peterson topic was a classic, after he sprouted off someone elses views on JP's misogyny, second rate work :blah:. He let slip hes never read his book, watched his lectures or self help videos and only saw a few heavily edited YouTube clippets like the ones entitled "Jordan Peterson destroys feminist" :rofl: brilliant as ever, best of it is, he genuinely thinks hes tore me a new backside in that debate :rolleyes:

But no it wasnt originally a dig at the defunct boat, it was an observation. I mean there are several usernames which you know what they think with out ever thinking to ask, so gender pay gap for example. I know at least 5 usernames on here views without every talking to them about it, that's both the "its prejudice victim argument" and "it does not exist whataboutry argument"
LiberOfLondon
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
"Jordan Peterson destroys feminist" :rofl:
If you watch a video entitled ”xyz person who's opinions I know nothing about DESTROYS libtards/feminists/whatever” by ”alt_right_kek_nazi” and take that to be a balanced summary of xyz person's views, you need to give your head a wobble.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you watch a video entitled ”xyz person who's opinions I know nothing about DESTROYS libtards/feminists/whatever” by ”alt_right_kek_nazi” and take that to be a balanced summary of xyz person's views, you need to give your head a wobble.
that's the one! Then pop on to a forum and tell people who have an understanding of his work and are intelligently debating it, exactly what they dont understand by breaking down sections of posts, removing relevant content to make it read out of context and inply they are stupid

Brilliant strategy mate and a great example of the point i was originally making to DiddyDec do they simply think what they are told, well yea
Last edited by Burton Bridge; 4 weeks ago
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
that's the one! Then pop on to a forum and tell people who have an understanding of his work and are intelligently debating it, exactly what they dont understand by breaking down sections of posts, removing relevant content to make it read out of context and inply they are stupid

Brilliant strategy mate and a great example of the point i was originally making to DiddyDec do they simply think what they are told, well yea
You can't cure stupid.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
You can't cure stupid.
Unfortunately not, the thing is some are not stupid, most are just taking to easy option! It's easier to just dismiss something you dont want to hear rarther then objectively think about it.

In some cases its lazy more than stupid, in my opinion anyway.
LiberOfLondon
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?

PRSOM mate
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (103)
61.68%
No (64)
38.32%

Watched Threads