Which school dress codes did you disagree with?

Watch
FemaleinDress
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
One of the rules was a tie had to have 10 bars on it , I thought it should have been reduced to 8.
Karisa96
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
At my school all skirts had to be below the knees.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
White ankle socks during spring and summer.:mad:
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
White ankle socks during spring and summer.:mad:
Sammylou40
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not me because I could wear anything I wanted. When my lads were at 6th form during the summer with temperatures in the high 20s they’d regularly wear shorts. Not footy types, but cargo types. Along with the other lads. We got a letter to say that they weren’t allowed and that they should wear full length trousers. This would be looked at again if temperatures hit 30. The girls however went every day in hot pants and crop tops with bums and boobs hanging out. That was ok
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by FemaleinDress)
One of the rules was a tie had to have 10 bars on it , I thought it should have been reduced to 8.
My sixth form dress code you can't wear stuff like hoodies, trainers, jeans, leggings etc a school uniform would be better?
Last edited by 1st superstar; 1 month ago
Chronoscope
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
1. We had to change back into school uniform if you had pe at the end of the day - stupid rule imo
2. We weren't allowed to wear our school pe hoodies during winter which were technically school uniform which was ridiculous...
3. Everyone had to carry a school uniform card - if you had anything out of place a teacher would sign it and if you got so many signatures you'd get a detention. Good thing that was introduced when I was in year 11 so luckily didn't have to endure that much.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My old school changed the sixth form dress code the year before I started Year 12 so it went from wearing whatever you liked to having to wear business dress, so no jeans, no trainers, you couldn't show shoulders etc. Claimed it was so that we were prepared for the world of work when we'd presumably be wearing similar clothes, even though most people ended up going to uni after sixth form...where you can wear what you like. Baffling.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
My old school changed the sixth form dress code the year before I started Year 12 so it went from wearing whatever you liked to having to wear business dress, so no jeans, no trainers, you couldn't show shoulders etc. Claimed it was so that we were prepared for the world of work when we'd presumably be wearing similar clothes, even though most people ended up going to uni after sixth form...where you can wear what you like. Baffling.
lol in my school you can't wear hoodies, jeans, trainers etc either which annoys me as I get super jealous seeing all of the kids in my area coming in casual clothing to go to their sixth form. (I'd much rather have a uniform rather than a business casual dress code where you can't even wear the basics and creates lots of inconsistencies)
sellingducks
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My sixth form is just business casual, but they generally don't care what you wear as long as you're not nude. Years 7-11 however are a lot more arsey. We're allowed to wear a jumper under our blazer if we want to but if you take your blazer off you have to take your jumper off too. If you're wearing your jumper and no blazer you have to either remove the jumper and put the blazer back on or wear the blazer over the jumper; you can't not wear the blazer at any point- regardless of the temperature. It's as good as treason to be seen wearing just your jumper/no blazer, which imo, is ridiculous.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Everyone had to wear skirts until sixth form, when you got to sixth form you could wear a trousers suit if you wanted which i did. Don't know why we couldnt of worn trousers in KS3 and 4
s.gotera
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sellingducks)
My sixth form is just business casual, but they generally don't care what you wear as long as you're not nude. Years 7-11 however are a lot more arsey. We're allowed to wear a jumper under our blazer if we want to but if you take your blazer off you have to take your jumper off too. If you're wearing your jumper and no blazer you have to either remove the jumper and put the blazer back on or wear the blazer over the jumper; you can't not wear the blazer at any point- regardless of the temperature. It's as good as treason to be seen wearing just your jumper/no blazer, which imo, is ridiculous.
Exactly how year 7-11 was like
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 1st superstar)
lol in my school you can't wear hoodies, jeans, trainers etc either which annoys me as I get super jealous seeing all of the kids in my area coming in casual clothing to go to their sixth form. (I'd much rather have a uniform rather than a business casual dress code where you can't even wear the basics and creates lots of inconsistencies)
What do you wear then?
skittish
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(we have a uniform from years 7-11 and have to wear suits in years 12 and 13)

At my college we have to choose between the skirt or the trouser uniform. However, if someone assigned male at birth wants to wear a skirt, or someone assigned female at birth wants to wear trousers, their parents have to write a letter to the college and then have a meeting with the heads of safeguarding in order to confirm the decision. This applies to everyone, including pupils in year 13 (many of whom are legally adults). My partner is non-binary (AMAB) and closeted due to homophobic parents; whilst they did not want to wear a skirt to school, they did want to grow their hair out to shoulder length- something which is only permitted if a pupil chooses to wear the skirt uniform. Despite explaining their situation to multiple teachers, they were banned from growing their hair out. Luckily they're at university now and have grown their hair to the desired length, but still. I understand that the school wants to ensure that pupils feel supported if they're transitioning, but the rules mean that cisgender pupils (mainly AFAB) do not feel comfortable wearing the "other" uniform for fear of being seen as trans, which has consequently meant that the policy has reinforced transphobia and drawn more attention to trans pupils. Whilst I'm lucky to have been supported by my parents (I'm FTM), the meeting with the safeguarding officers was honestly humiliating, as I was asked explicit and personal details, essentially having to "prove" my identity to people I barely knew. At the end of the day, the only difference is two leg-cloth-noodles vs one leg-cloth-noodle: why does it matter?

So yeah, that sucks.
Last edited by skittish; 1 month ago
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Deggs_14)
What do you wear then?
literally everyone asks me that question when I tell them about my dress code but yeah btw I just wear:
t-shirt
skirt
tights
ballerina style flats
and jumper
stereotypeasian
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
why is school uniform pretty much always black and looks depressing ??
CTLeafez
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
We had the weird rule of even if you had PE last period, you’d need to get changed out of the school branded PE kit into the blazer, tie etc...

Literally make it so much more stressful catching the ONE bus which takes us home.
Arthur_Morgan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
We had to wear formal-type shoes. I never did so I got in trouble a lot.

Top button had to always be done up. Yeah I'd rather not choke thanks.

Tie knot had to be small. We called em' 'swot knots' so we always used to make ours chunky.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not a fan of uniform in general. It's just pointless traditionalism that can be done without. Not to say there shouldn't be some guidelines to make sure people don't take the piss.
WhisperWillow
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No unnatural hair colours. I did come in with pink and blue hair though. Separate occasions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (306)
34.27%
No (587)
65.73%

Watched Threads