The Student Room Group

Will dropping a 4th a level after receiving an offer affect the offer?

If I apply to university with 4 A levels, so with 4 predicted grades, and get an offer but then decide to drop a subject during year 13 so I would only have 3 A level grades, but still get decent grades, could the university withdraw their offer? (Especially asking about Oxbridge/LSE). I am currently in year 12, deciding if I should carry on with 4 subjects next year (I'm doing maths, further maths and economics and want to do economics at uni)
Original post by bella.ii
If I apply to university with 4 A levels, so with 4 predicted grades, and get an offer but then decide to drop a subject during year 13 so I would only have 3 A level grades, but still get decent grades, could the university withdraw their offer? (Especially asking about Oxbridge/LSE). I am currently in year 12, deciding if I should carry on with 4 subjects next year (I'm doing maths, further maths and economics and want to do economics at uni)

They potentially could but probably wouldn't - you would need to ask their permission to drop your 4th A level as they would have taken it into account when deciding whether or not to make you an offer.

It would be more straightforward to drop the 4th subject before applying to uni. However, LSE do say they prefer an essay based subject as your 3rd A level if the other two are Maths and Further Maths, so I would check with their Admissions that Economics would be an acceptable third subject. They say on their website for Economics that:

Further Mathematics at A-level is also desirable, and is acceptable for entry in combination with Mathematics and one other A-level. In these cases we would prefer that the third A-level should be an essay-based subject. It is acceptable to take Further Mathematics to AS-level only, in which case you will be required to achieve grade A. If you take four or more full A-levels, you will be expected to achieve A* A A (with A* in Mathematics), and a pass in the fourth A-level.
Reply 2
Original post by harrysbar
They potentially could but probably wouldn't - you would need to ask their permission to drop your 4th A level as they would have taken it into account when deciding whether or not to make you an offer.

It would be more straightforward to drop the 4th subject before applying to uni. However, LSE do say they prefer an essay based subject as your 3rd A level if the other two are Maths and Further Maths, so I would check with their Admissions that Economics would be an acceptable third subject. They say on their website for Economics that:

Further Mathematics at A-level is also desirable, and is acceptable for entry in combination with Mathematics and one other A-level. In these cases we would prefer that the third A-level should be an essay-based subject. It is acceptable to take Further Mathematics to AS-level only, in which case you will be required to achieve grade A. If you take four or more full A-levels, you will be expected to achieve A* A A (with A* in Mathematics), and a pass in the fourth A-level.

Yeah I remember reading somewhere that LSE do class economics as an essay subject. Also do you think 3 A levels including further maths will put me at a disadvantage compared to other students who take further maths as a 4th subject? - for oxbridge and lse
Yeah I remember reading somewhere that LSE do class economics as an essay subject. Also do you think 3 A levels including further maths will put me at a disadvantage compared to other students who take further maths as a 4th subject? - for oxbridge and lse

Highly doubt it as no university requires or expects a 4th A level (even if students do end up taking more than 3).
Also do you think 3 A levels including further maths will put me at a disadvantage compared to other students who take further maths as a 4th subject? - for oxbridge and lse

I don't think so.

If possible, can you attend LSE/Oxbridge Open Days later in Year 12 to discuss the matter directly with Admissions staff?
Reply 5
Original post by harrysbar
I don't think so.

If possible, can you attend LSE/Oxbridge Open Days later in Year 12 to discuss the matter directly with Admissions staff?

yeah thats a good idea. also do you think that an As would make my application more competitive as one of my other options is doing an As in the subject that I might drop at the end of y12 or should I not bother with an As exam?
yeah thats a good idea. also do you think that an As would make my application more competitive as one of my other options is doing an As in the subject that I might drop at the end of y12 or should I not bother with an As exam?

I think as you have already done a lot of the work for the AS, it would be a good idea to get a qualification for it if possible - it would provide evidence for the fact that you have a broader range of abilities than just Maths/Economics.

Then you could drop the subject after the exam.

Are you school willing to put in a late entry for you?
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
Are you school willing to put in a late entry for you?

I'm not sure but i don't think so
I'm not sure but i don't think so

Well we are past the deadline for June entries; so it would be a late entry now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending