Female Commentators

Watch
Secretariat123
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Ok, so i write this knowing that this forum is a majority of girls/women. I have been a massive football fan since i was a young kid, and like it or not, commentary is a part of that. Games with Martin Tyler + Andy Gray were awesome for instance partly because of the commentary. Point is, why can't you just leave male football to be discussed and commentated on by men?

I am all for equality, and so women should be commentators and pundits, FOR WOMENS FOOTBALL. I mean come on, look at these highlights from yesterday, all shes doing is asking rhetorical questions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJAJAtF90eI

So I guess I make this thread to see, in amongst all of the comments that I am misogynistic etc, whether there are girls that understand and agree.
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Football commentators generally are annoying. I think female commentators are more annoying than average because their higher voices when the game picks up are higher than men's, but I'd still rather switch off the talking. Ideally with some sort of toggle to say which players are which for teams I don't know so well.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don't think there is anything wrong with having female commentators.. No reason why they can't be just as knowledgeable and there are many female tv/radio stars who have very nice voices to listen to..

Sadly not that one on your youtube clip though, her voice isn't pleasant. In plenty of other sports coverage, tennis, olympics etc - there are plenty of great female commentators.. no reason why football can't have the same.. its just probably not that woman.
joey11223
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Video isn't working but for me female commentators is fine so long as they have a good knowledge of the game, ideally ex-professional players. For example Karen Carney is fine, as you can clearly tell she knows what she's talking about. I mean lets not pretend many of the male commentators, including ex-players, aren't pretty dire as pundits. The annoying thing is when it feels they've shoehorned in a female interviewer/presenter because they're a pretty face, and you can tell by what questions they're asking they don't have any actual knowledge of the teams involved, any history, stats etc.
Secretariat123
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
I don't think there is anything wrong with having female commentators.. No reason why they can't be just as knowledgeable and there are many female tv/radio stars who have very nice voices to listen to..

Sadly not that one on your youtube clip though, her voice isn't pleasant. In plenty of other sports coverage, tennis, olympics etc - there are plenty of great female commentators.. no reason why football can't have the same.. its just probably not that woman.
Sure, I understand Olympics for instance. But like I saw clips of Wilder Fury fight with a woman commentating and man was it painful...
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Jacqui Oakley and Eilidh Barbour are good commentators, and Eilidh Barbour played women's football until recently.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (44)
60.27%
No (29)
39.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise