When do you squeeze the muscle during weight training?

Watch
jonjo4321
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I don't understand at what point during a movement do you squeeze the muscle you're working? Or do you squeeze it the whole time? e.g. when you're bench pressing, do you only squeeze it at the "bottom" or "top" of the movement? the same with bicep curls etc?

Also, what is the reason for this?

thanks
kurro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You dont need to squeeze anything tbh
say for bench you go down you should feel the tension in your chest and triceps and at the top you could try to squeeze your chest
the same thing applies to squats on the eccentric motion try to go slow and feel the mind-muscle connection then explode up and you could squeeze at the top but im not sure it makes a big difference
for bicep curls people tend to squeeze at the top and try going down slow (there won't be any benefit if u squeeze at the bottom is there lol)

when you lift the weight you cause your microfibres to tear, then with the right amount of rest and nutrition the muscle fibers rebuild stronger and become bigger (depending on what you eat and if u get sufficient rest ofc)
(You should also go in a progressive overload)
Last edited by kurro; 1 month ago
jonjo4321
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by kurro)
You dont need to squeeze anything tbh
say for bench you go down you should feel the tension in your chest and triceps and at the top you could try to squeeze your chest
the same thing applies to squats on the eccentric motion try to go slow and feel the mind-muscle connection then explode up and you could squeeze at the top but im not sure it makes a big difference
for bicep curls people tend to squeeze at the top and try going down slow (there won't be any benefit if u squeeze at the bottom is there lol)

when you lift the weight you cause your microfibres to tear, then with the right amount of rest and nutrition the muscle fibers rebuild stronger and become bigger (depending on what you eat and if u get sufficient rest ofc)
(You should also go in a progressive overload)
thanks for the reply. but still what is the actual point in squeezing? does it somehow increase muscle tearing and thus gains? at what point in a given motion do you do it?
kurro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jonjo4321)
thanks for the reply. but still what is the actual point in squeezing? does it somehow increase muscle tearing and thus gains? at what point in a given motion do you do it?
Your body will recruit your muscles regardless of if you squeeze them or not, as long as you have proper technique
so get proper form first then just go in a progressive overload and BOOM muscle growth and strength (but ofc it will take time and u need a proper diet)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (266)
15.54%
Uncertainty around my education (270)
15.77%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (173)
10.11%
Isolating with family (118)
6.89%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (77)
4.5%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (144)
8.41%
Loneliness (168)
9.81%
Financial worries (67)
3.91%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (155)
9.05%
Exposure to negative news/social media (122)
7.13%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (152)
8.88%

Watched Threads