The Student Room Group

Do you think it is wrong to wear fur?

Do you think it is morally wrong to wear fur? Also what is the difference between wearing fur if it keeps you warm and eating meat?

Scroll to see replies

the fur trade is fuked up man
Hmm good question. Are the animals being murdered?
Original post by steamed-hams
the fur trade is fuked up man

Perhaps it is immoral
Unlike meat, fur isn't a necessity.
There are no benefits to wearing fur.

Spare me the comments on how eating meat makes you a murderer please :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
I agree that there is some hypocrisy when it comes to the whole fur/meat conversation. As I see it, nowadays fur is purely for aesthetic purposes as there are a multitude of other materials that you can use to keep warm. Therefore, there is no need to kill the animal. Meat, on the other hand, is necessary for nutrients and energy. Whilst there are supplements you can take, you can never completely replace meat in a diet.

The fur trade also promotes poaching, whereas, at least in the UK, the meat industry is far more regulated, ensuring the overall longevity of a species.
erm meat isn't necessary you could just be a vegan also fur keeps you warm
I'm not talking about keeping animals in cages etc but when the animal is wild and is trapped or shot.
Original post by karl pilkington
Do you think it is morally wrong to wear fur? Also what is the difference between wearing fur if it keeps you warm and eating meat?

It's wrong to wear fur - there is an alternative in fake fur which is just as good.

Wild animals are shot for their skins, sometimes even endangered ones
I've seen Aumbemayang and Lallana wearing it. Looks hideous tbh. Gross af. Rather die than wear that ****
Then call me a hypocrite, because I wouldn't wear fur, but do eat meat.
Fake fur annoys me too. Why glamourise what looks like fur?
I think both are wrong and unnecessary
No.
I don't think that it is wrong to wear animal fur.
Particularly if the coat or hat is very old and been owned by multiple people/passed down within a family.
Same attitude regarding leather, pigskin, snakeskin and crocodile hide.

Leather and animal fur are often by-products of the meat industry.
I eat meat but believe that hunting an animal for its fur alone or fur farming for profit is wrong.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Karisa96
Then call me a hypocrite, because I wouldn't wear fur, but do eat meat.

Do you feel the same way about leather or crocodile hide?
Original post by londonmyst
Do you feel the same way about leather or crocodile hide?

Must be honest had never given that any thought.
i agree with this as well as 2nd hand clothing
Original post by londonmyst
Particularly if the coat or hat is very old and been owned by multiple people/passed down within a family.
Wearing fur just for fashion is wrong as far as I am concerned, especially if it's from wild animals like stout, mink etc.

If its something that has been passed down the family then ok, you are not going to bring that animal back to life.

For things like leather then as long as it is a by product of the meat product then ok.. I have a leather sofa, jacket and car seats.

Also for those from places like Alaska where they wear furs to keep warm and from the animals they have always traditionally hunted for food then ok.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Karisa96
Must be honest had never given that any thought.

Most people don't.
I've a few friends who are religious vegan hindus who won't allow any animal based products or alcohol into their houses.
Believe they are all magnets for bad karma.
I had a crazy landlord enforce these type of rules as an undergrad, months of misery and no notice "inspections".
Original post by karl pilkington

Not at all, it’s just how it’s done is bad

Quick Reply

Latest