username5189460
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Anyone know ways to learn about the rivers e.g how spits are formed, oxbow lakes etc.

it never goes in my head!
army of 1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I thought spits were just for coasts? Lol anyway

How about getting a blank piece of paper and drawing a whole river, then you label the upper/middle/lower courses, the erosional/transportational/depositional processes that occur, the shape/velocity etc of the courses, landforms that are found there etc etc

Try doing that without any notes, then afterwards go back and add all the stuff you’ve forgotten in a different colour pen

Then you could either use flashcards or quizlet to learn the things you forgot if they’re like definition-y things eg abrasion, attrition, solution

For the formation of the landforms, print out a diagram or draw each one then label the steps again like for the river, then check it and add the stuff you forgot.

For me personally i prefer to just simplify the steps in each process and write them down on a piece of paper. Just simplifying it helps you to understand and remember the process

I hope this helps! 😁 you can ask me about anything else geography related too (i do it at a level)
username5189460
Rep:
?
(Original post by army of 1)

How about getting a blank piece of paper and drawing a whole river, then you label the upper/middle/lower courses, the erosional/transportational/depositional processes that occur, the shape/velocity etc of the courses, landforms that are found there etc etc

Try doing that without any notes, then afterwards go back and add all the stuff you’ve forgotten in a different colour pen

Then you could either use flashcards or quizlet to learn the things you forgot if they’re like definition-y things eg abrasion, attrition, solution

For the formation of the landforms, print out a diagram or draw each one then label the steps again like for the river, then check it and add the stuff you forgot.

For me personally i prefer to just simplify the steps in each process and write them down on a piece of paper. Just simplifying it helps you to understand and remember the process

I hope this helps! 😁 you can ask me about anything else geography related too (i do it at a level)
Thank you soo much!!!!!

I'm definitely trying this out!
Wow you do it at a level-how is it?
i'm doing my gcse's this year-aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh
What did you get for your gcse's?

Thanks
Bhaker_5x
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

im currently doing it at gcse and ive picked it as an a-level
is it as good as everyone says?
army of 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by kittyfifi123456)
Thank you soo much!!!!!

I'm definitely trying this out!
Wow you do it at a level-how is it?
i'm doing my gcse's this year-aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh
What did you get for your gcse's?

Thanks
You definitely need to know everything in a lot more detail for alevel, like more case studies plus just the overall specification is more in depth
I did my gcses in 2019 and got a 9 for geography ehe
army of 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Bhaker_5x)
im currently doing it at gcse and ive picked it as an a-level
is it as good as everyone says?
Yeah it is pretty good, especially if you enjoy the subject and you get a good teacher! Theres a lot of content but if you stay on top of work and things you should be great
username5189460
Rep:
?
You definitely need to know everything in a lot more detail for alevel, like more case studies plus just the overall specification is more in depth
I did my gcses in 2019 and got a 9 for geography ehe
woowww,i wish i got that!!

well done!!!!!
army of 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
woowww,i wish i got that!!

well done!!!!!
Ehehe thanks I hope you do too! Good luck!😊
coolboy36
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Anyone know ways to learn about the rivers e.g how spits are formed, oxbow lakes etc.

it never goes in my head!
Well like army of 1 said, but ill add some extras.

Watch this video about meanders: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qKS_Nk7UmY (ik its annoying quality)

As for coasts (spits), watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWEJq03NBao (also really annoying quality)

Rivers start in mountains, and they always try and flow to the easiest and lowest place they can (to the sea). They can form waterfalls (Where hard rock sticks out, and soft rock under it erodes (breaks apart).

I've also attached a picture of a meander.
Name:  meander.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  112.1 KB

I hope you find my advice helpful!
Last edited by coolboy36; 1 year ago
username5189460
Rep:
?
wow! thankyou so much-the video was so helpful!!

thanks for sharing and the picture was so useful

thanks for helping!!-coolboy!

coolboy36
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
wow! thankyou so much-the video was so helpful!!

thanks for sharing and the picture was so useful

thanks for helping!!-coolboy!

Np, if you have any more questions just ask (also give me a thumbs up )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (110)
35.71%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (42)
13.64%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (19)
6.17%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (32)
10.39%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (37)
12.01%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (36)
11.69%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
10.39%

Watched Threads