Is it possible to go from AAB to A*AA in 3 months? Major help needed!

Watch
chibichibi_xx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm predicted A*AA and for the last two half terms I've gotten AAB (there's been no improvement). I'm doing biology (that's the B), chemistry (I've been always close to an A* but never quite managed it), and maths. I feel like I've tried everything - past papers, mindmaps, flashcards, exam questions. EVERYTHING. But nothing seems to be improving (I don't want to be disappointed on results day when I get a B).
I know I'm sounding like a snob (some people would be more than happy with AAB), but I've applied for medicine (I think I'll have to go into clearing because UCAS isn't going to well), and I really need help to improve. Any help would be much appreciated. I have mocks in two weeks and I really want to get my predictions (even AAA would be more than enough).
vicvic38
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes. But you need to work smart, rather than hard.
What you need to do is look at all the past papers you've done. Pick out all the questions you didn't quite get right. Work out EXACTLY what your lost marks are for. Talk to your teachers if you can't work it out. Then, those are the bits you need to focus on getting right.

Maths will be the easiest to improve in. Getting an A indicates you understand the material well, and just need some help to clean up. My tips would be: work through the paper quickly, and then with your time left, CHECK, CHECK and CHECK again. My strategy was to assume I'm wrong, and argue to myself that I am right using the logic I've put on the page. Redo the calculation after you're sure your logic is right. This helps me see if there's any step I've forgotten to include. Maths is fundamentally about constructing logical arguments to convince the examiner you are right.

If you have a question and you're not sure how to solve it I recommend my problem solving algorithm that I have used since AS level (now in the second year of my degree): Write out everything the question tells you about your starting information; work out what it wants you to find and the properties of that thing; consider all the methods you know and see which fits the question best.
spicy_ipad
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by chibichibi_xx)
I'm predicted A*AA and for the last two half terms I've gotten AAB (there's been no improvement). I'm doing biology (that's the B), chemistry (I've been always close to an A* but never quite managed it), and maths. I feel like I've tried everything - past papers, mindmaps, flashcards, exam questions. EVERYTHING. But nothing seems to be improving (I don't want to be disappointed on results day when I get a B).
I know I'm sounding like a snob (some people would be more than happy with AAB), but I've applied for medicine (I think I'll have to go into clearing because UCAS isn't going to well), and I really need help to improve. Any help would be much appreciated. I have mocks in two weeks and I really want to get my predictions (even AAA would be more than enough).
I think you can do it, if AAA is acceptable then I'd aim for that at this point (you can always push for A*AA between the mocks and the real exams). Try to work on the B since that's your lowest, and its easier to jump from B-A than A-A*. Have you tried Seneca? I find it quite useful for the content, especially biology and chemistry (not really for maths). Also do practise papers as much as possible and mark them to see where you're at.
DrFrost is quite a good website for maths, it gives you exam questions online and I think you can sign up with your own email for free.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (95)
61.69%
No (59)
38.31%

Watched Threads