Is preaching more Protestant or Catholic? (HVIII) - History

Watch
liaente
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
HVIII wrote "The Necessary Doctrine and Erudition of a Christian Man" - it contained Catholic ideas such as transubstantiation and the Six Articles. However, it also encouraged preaching and attacked the use of images.
I know the use of images is more of a Catholic quality, but what about preaching? I need to know this to see if Henry incorporated more of Catholic or Protestant qualities. Many thanks xx
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
It's more reformist rather than distinctly catholic or protestant, as we understand the two today.
Advocating reform away from the papacy in Rome, centuries of church traditions and the traditional catholic priesthood committed to papal infallibility.
Reformist preaching; against traditional papal supremacy, for biblical scripture above catholic tradition and aimed to redirect both moral authority & political power away from the papacy in Rome to King Henry as head of the Church of England.

The preface of the book was written by Henry VIII.
But it is believed that the majority of the content was produced by Archbishop Cranmer- to suit his own reformist agenda.
An agenda that Henry greatly constrained in favour of moving political power in his own direction, while Cranmer was committed to redrawing multiple parameters of England's religion & established church away from that of Vatican traditionalism.
Reformist and the early stages of the Protestant Church of England under the watchful eye of Henry VIII- a man who was no friend to the revolutionary religious ideas of Luther and favoured the death penalty in relation to heresy.
Last edited by londonmyst; 10 months ago
liaente
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
It's more reformist rather than distinctly catholic or protestant, as we understand the two today.
Advocating reform away from the papacy in Rome, centuries of church traditions and the traditional catholic priesthood committed to papal infallibility.
Reformist preaching; against traditional papal supremacy, for biblical scripture above catholic tradition and aimed to redirect both moral authority & political power away from the papacy in Rome to King Henry as head of the Church of England.

The preface of the book was written by Henry VIII.
But it is believed that the majority of the content was produced by Archbishop Cranmer- to suit his own reformist agenda.
An agenda that Henry greatly constrained in favour of moving political power in his own direction, while Cranmer was committed to redrawing multiple parameters of England's religion & established church away from that of Vatican traditionalism.
Reformist and the early stages of the Protestant Church of England under the watchful eye of Henry VIII- a man who was no friend to the revolutionary religious ideas of Luther and favoured the death penalty in relation to heresy.
Thank you so very much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (21)
13.55%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (42)
27.1%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (64)
41.29%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
14.84%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
3.23%

Watched Threads