The Student Room Group

Scotland NHS STP 2020

I wanted to start this thread for anyone who is planning to apply for Scottish STP this spring, as there doesn't seem to be one, and so we can share our experiences and just talk about it :smile: I have noticed Cardiac Science opened, I'm personally waiting for Reproductive Science and Microbiology. I applied for repro to the English STP and was unsuccessful, so thought I will give it a try here.

I have 7 years NHS experience as a healthcare assistant in the emergency settings, I am graduating with first class honours in Biomedical science this June, I have undertaken online courses to broaden my knowledge in both fields, shadowed embryologists in the clinic and my final year project is in microbiology with molecular approach.

Has anyone applied for STP Scotland before? Any tips? Also who is applying this year and what are your feelings? Anyone who also applied to English and was unsuccessful? Let's start this thread :biggrin::smile:
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey Agonda,

I've applied for the English STP, (Cancer Genomics & Genomics), but was unsuccessful. Do you know where all the Scottish postings are? I.E. How do we check when the vacancies are listed?
I have a 2:2 in Virology and a Masters degree in Drug Design and Biomedical Science plus 4 years experience within the biopharmaceutical industry. Have previously applied to the programme but had no chance as they wouldn’t accept me without a 1st or 2:1. Was looking at the admissions criteria for this year - it seems like that might have changed? After being rejected I moved on to get more experience but seems like I haven’t quite abandoned the hopes of working for the NHS yet!
Do you just submit your resume for the Scottish one? I understand you apply as they are posted, unlike the UK one. I just started researching these positions this year, want to apply within a year or two. How often do these positions open? I know it depends on the specialty but let's say I see a cancer genomics or immunology posted, what are the odds it will open again next year? Thanks
I'm waiting for the genomics course to come out in Scotland. Does anyone know if they have the same distinction as the English/Welsh STP between genomics & cancer genomics?

Also I'd heard from a hospital I contacted in Glasgow that genetics should be coming out some time in April (obviously this has now passed), does anyone know anything else?
Anyone applied/heard back for the clinical biochem STP yet?
Reply 6
Original post by Socks_rock
Anyone applied/heard back for the clinical biochem STP yet?

No not yet..!!!!
Reply 7
Sent in my application for Genomics in and Glasgow and Edinburgh/Aberdeen. Anyone else?
Original post by mushuga
Sent in my application for Genomics in and Glasgow and Edinburgh/Aberdeen. Anyone else?

Yes, me too. I was flicking through a thread from 2019 and it looks like we will have a long wait until we hear back about interviews - 6 weeks after the closing date!
Reply 9
Original post by LittleBirdxx
Yes, me too. I was flicking through a thread from 2019 and it looks like we will have a long wait until we hear back about interviews - 6 weeks after the closing date!

Yeah I saw that! Really hoping to hear back sooner but I suppose we will see, they are likely under a lot of pressure this year
I'm also applying to Genomics across Scotland. What kind of experience/background do you guys have out of curiosity? Best of luck also :smile:
Original post by Wanderer2202
I'm also applying to Genomics across Scotland. What kind of experience/background do you guys have out of curiosity? Best of luck also :smile:

Have a BSc in Biomedical Science and a PhD in cancer research (3.5 years total experience in cancer research). Only time spent in hospital labs was 2 months volunteering there. How about you? Also curious. Good luck to you too! At least theres a few positions going 😊
Reply 12
Got my BSc in Biology and now doing my MSc in Human and Molecular Genetics. I've had some experience working with the NHS as our lab is partnered with the Sheffield Genetics Service so been able to do some experience there 😊
Great stuff! I've got my BSc in Applied Biosciences. I have student experience within Genetics, just less than a year within the NHS. Since then I've been working in private GMP in Molecular Biology to just gain some further experiences, so about 2.5 years all together. This is my first time applying so I'm looking forward to seeing the result :smile: Yes, 7 posts across the country so fingers crossed!!
(edited 3 years ago)
Couldn't seem to see the person spec for Genomics in Scotland on the advert. Does anyone know where it is?
It seemed to be a very short section at the bottom of the job description - "Knowledge, Training and Experience needed to do the job"
Original post by LittleBirdxx
It seemed to be a very short section at the bottom of the job description - "Knowledge, Training and Experience needed to do the job"

Thanks Bird, spotted it now!
Original post by N7AndersonD
Thanks Bird, spotted it now!

Check out Tayside posting too as same job and there is a full Person Spec document :smile:
Hi, did anyone here used go2meetinngs before. I don’t know how to set it up for the interview
What did people end up writing about for the "why do you want to work for the NHS?" question?

Quick Reply