I hate my boyfriends dress sense

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
We have been dating for 6 months now and I like everything about him apart from his dress sense. He buys his clothes from the same three shops, Tommy Hilfiger, Diesel and Zara. I find it too formal sometimes, he loves wearing shirts, v neck jumpers and jeans. He wears office attire on causual dates which makes me feel uncomfortable as I always look out of place next to him. My previous boyfriends all wore hoodies and t-shirts which I love. Should I talk to him about this?
josie71202
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
talk to him casually
username5027880
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Yes by all means talk to him about it, but in a casual way, you dont want to upset him do you.
Anonymous #2
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
We have been dating for 6 months now and I like everything about him apart from his dress sense. He buys his clothes from the same three shops, Tommy Hilfiger, Diesel and Zara. I find it too formal sometimes, he loves wearing shirts, v neck jumpers and jeans. He wears office attire on causual dates which makes me feel uncomfortable as I always look out of place next to him. My previous boyfriends all wore hoodies and t-shirts which I love. Should I talk to him about this?
I think AndrewSCO
Could help....
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
You know as soon as you bring that up he's going to tell you he doesn't like it that you don't put any effort into your appearance, right?
AndrewSCO
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I think AndrewSCO
Could help....
Who is this :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
You can tell him. But if he’s got anything about him he won’t change himself.
If he’s happy and clean he doesn’t need to
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
A person's style is part of their identity. Don't try to change him to fit your ideals better.
Anonymous #3
Report 8 months ago
Ok, let me start a small holy war here... Disclaimer: I'm European, not British, so I might be looking at things from a slightly different angle, but I don't think that the difference is dramatic.

The way we dress is a social identifier, along with the way we talk, the books that we read, the movies that we watch, the shoes and watches that we wear, etc, etc. My guess is that your boyfriend belongs to a higher social class. This is exactly why you feel uncomfortable. He probably feels the same, just like any person from an upper social class would feel if he/she dated a girl who couldn't dress properly, or didn't know how to use forks and knives correctly, or never read Gabriel García Márquez. Such unions usually don't end up very well. A truck driver's son is rarely happy with a daughter of a university professor and vice versa. I mean, they might have chemistry, they might immensely enjoy sex with each other, but if we're talking about a long-time relationship or marriage, the chances of success are bleak.

What can you do about it? In my opinion, there are only two choices:

(a) Find another guy from your social class.

(b) "Upgrade" yourself rather than trying to "downgrade" the guy. Think about Jane Morris, a famous British Pre-Raphaelite model. A daughter of a stableman and a laundress, she recreated herself. Let me quote: " She was a voracious reader who became proficient in French and Italian, and she became an accomplished pianist with a strong background in classical music. Her manners and speech became refined to an extent that contemporaries referred to her as "queenly." Later in life, she had no trouble moving in upper-class circles." If this example is too far-fetched, watch Pretty Woman.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (724)
33.8%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (919)
42.9%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (406)
18.95%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise