glorydayes365
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Name:  BCF9EE4A-76ED-4902-B38F-09FFE6C65BCB.jpg.jpeg
Views: 21
Size:  16.0 KB

I really don’t know how to answer this question. Anything could help. Thanks.
Last edited by glorydayes365; 7 months ago
melissabrls
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi are you sure it's related to immunology? Instinctively I'd say it's related to natural selection, maybe look in to that?
If you have any more questions I'd be happy to help !
glorydayes365
Rep:
?
(Original post by melissabrls)
Hi are you sure it's related to immunology? Instinctively I'd say it's related to natural selection, maybe look in to that?
That’s the issue with A levels... they put questions like this which even makes me question is this even about immunology.
glorydayes365
Rep:
?
(Original post by melissabrls)
Name:  E29D3981-3488-4512-A5B4-92E56A65C249.jpg.jpeg
Size:  34.9 KB

And I’ve found the answer which I would’ve never thought of...

I hope this could help others with similar questions to this.
melissabrls
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Aha I see, I'm actually a French biology student so I'm not the best when it comes to A levels....
I have a possible answer you'll definitely have to go over it and think about it more but it could simply be because the Nm are immune to the products because of natural selection. There was a population of Nm, with normal nm genes and nm with mutations which made them immune to the products however over the years, when using those products you got rid of all the "normal" nm which were sensitive to the products and that left you with only mutated nm which created a whole new population because they could only reproduce within themselves so you end up with only mutated nm which are resistant/imune to the penicillin and the others. Hope this makes sense, if not, tell me and I'll try and explain differently
Look up bacterial resistance on YouTube or google I'm sure that might also help you!
If you have other questions I'd love to help!
Jpw1097
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by glorydayes365)
Name:  E29D3981-3488-4512-A5B4-92E56A65C249.jpg.jpeg
Size:  34.9 KB

And I’ve found the answer which I would’ve never thought of...

I hope this could help others with similar questions to this.
Seems like a reasonable answer. You could also talk about mechanisms of antibiotic resistance such as efflux pumps (proteins which pump out the antibiotic), production of penicillin degrading enzymes (penicillinase/beta lacatamase), modification of the binding site of the antibiotic, etc.
You could also talk about how bacteria can pass on these resistance genes to other bacteria by transferring plasmids to other bacteria - known as conjugation (a type of horizontal transfer).
Also, your answer doesn’t explain how these resistance bacteria become the dominant clones. Penicillin in this case exerts selection pressure - by killing those bacteria that are susceptible to penicillin, those bacteria that are resistant survive and proliferate, due to the availability of nutrients as they no longer have to compete with the penicillin-susceptible bacteria.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.53%
I'm not sure (56)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (354)
29.23%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (590)
48.72%

Watched Threads