Laboromniavincit
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I know that this first picture is a diminished 11th because B is in the key of F sharp major and this is B flat so you go a semitone down.

But for this second picture ( minor 3rd) D sharp is in the key of B major which is also a semitone down

So I’m not sure how I am supposed to tell if it is a diminished or minor interval since they both go down a semitone from the major?Name:  48FBBFAC-22AD-4BB3-81C6-F2ECE652B3B5.jpeg
Views: 15
Size:  58.1 KB
Last edited by Laboromniavincit; 8 months ago
ng849
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Ok so in the first picture we have an 11th interval, aka a compound 4th (as it is an octave + a 4th). Now 4ths are one of the "perfect" intervals (that is to say 4th, 5th, and octave) and therefore you cannot have minor or major versions of it, only perfect, diminished and augmented. Therefore this is a diminished 11th (or compound diminished 4th), as you go down 1 semitone.

In the second image you have a 10th interval, aka a compound 3rd (as it is an octave + a 3rd). As 3rds are not one of the "perfect" intervals, you would need to go down 2 semitones, not one, to reach the diminished version of it. Therefore, as this only goes down 1 semitone, it is just a minor 10th (or compound minor 3rd).

I hope that helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads