SilenceOfTheLamb
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
So my goal is to build a bit of muscle and get toned pretty much but am I wasting my money with protein shakes?

A typical day for me is day 1, endurance day where I'll run10-13 miles, today is the first time I've been able to run 13 in one go but have ran 10 miles straight plenty of times. I've only really built myself up to be a long distance runner this month. Day 2 consists of speed and strength training I'll run about 7 miles of incline and sprinting on the tredmill with jogging in between the incline and sprinting. I'll then go on to do a bit of lifting but not too much as its so boring.

I rarely have a day off and repeat these two types of training over and over. But do I do enough to be taking in high protein intakes for it to help tone me? Or am I adding u needed calories? I currently use isolate protein which is 90% protein per 30g and drink 3 shakes a day.
SilenceOfTheLamb
Rep:
?
Bump
Dax_Swagg3r
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Ur not gonna build substantial amounts of muscle from just running. Also having 3 servings a day of protein shakes will deprive you of micro-nutrients as you eat less whole food.

I would suggest you start counting kcals and start resistance training.
SilenceOfTheLamb
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dax_Swagg3r)
Ur not gonna build substantial amounts of muscle from just running. Also having 3 servings a day of protein shakes will deprive you of micro-nutrients as you eat less whole food.

I would suggest you start counting kcals and start resistance training.
I dont want to build a lot of muscle as I box just want a bit of muscle which you can get from running. I do a bit of lifting but nothing extreme. But are protein shakes helping me in any way at all?
Last edited by SilenceOfTheLamb; 10 months ago
Darkiorra
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by SilenceOfTheLamb)
I dont want to build a lot of muscle as I box just want a bit of muscle which you can get from running. I do a bit of lifting but nothing extreme. But are protein shakes helping me in any way at all?
Protein shakes help you build muscle so yes they are. Stop running that much because it's pointless and start resistance training ur legs instead. you will build the muscles there and not by running. Running will improve ur stamina however.
adam271
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Protein is protein.
You don't want to get into the debate about what protein is better if any is.

To build muscle you need to be in a calories surplus. The protein is important but only half the equation.
adam271
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Also by running that much your going to have to eat alot to get into a calorie surplus.
SilenceOfTheLamb
Rep:
?
(Original post by Darkiorra)
Protein shakes help you build muscle so yes they are. Stop running that much because it's pointless and start resistance training ur legs instead. you will build the muscles there and not by running. Running will improve ur stamina however.
I'm training for a half marathon so I need stamina and dumb question but what do you mean by resistance training?
username5232128
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
If you're doing a lot of endurance based running then you're not going to need much protein as your body doesn't require it. Most people consume more protein than their body uses in their diet anyway. The best thing to do is to make sure you're getting enough carbs into your diet as these are the main source of energy for your muscles and are essential for any endurance-based training or events.
If you want to build muscle then you're not going to build any from doing long-distance running as your training your type 1 muscle fibres which don't build size and only operate with small amounts of force for a long period of time.
If you want to build muscle then you need to train your type 2b/x muscle fibres as these increase the size of your muscles the most. However to train these, you need to be producing a lot of force for a shorter amount of time.
You can build muscle without any weight training, but you need to at least be doing callisthenics style (body weight) training. If it's for boxing then a good example is Mike Tyson who, for the peak of his career, didn't use weights to build muscle but focused more on building muscle with press-ups, pull-ups, dips etc.
See https://www.brawlbros.com/mike-tyson-workout/ for details of his regime.
If you begin resistance training (i.e. any training which requires you to produce a force to counter a resistance whether that's your body weight, a kettle bell, a dumbbell etc. ) then that's when you should start considering increasing the protein in your diet as your muscles will need to build and repair (what protein is used for in the body).
If you stick to only doing long distant running without any resistance training then there is no point in having more protein in your diet as it will all just pass through your system and be removed via your urine anyway.
That said, running can build muscle. But only sprinting, which has been found to increase your muscle mass via hypertrophy see https://www.labrada.com/forher/sprin...hats-the-deal/ for more details.
What I'm essentially saying is, don't take protein shakes with your current training. Only start if you begin increasing the resistance training in your regime, otherwise your wasting your money on something that will literally go down the toilet.
GymGrinding
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by SilenceOfTheLamb)
So my goal is to build a bit of muscle and get toned pretty much but am I wasting my money with protein shakes?

A typical day for me is day 1, endurance day where I'll run10-13 miles, today is the first time I've been able to run 13 in one go but have ran 10 miles straight plenty of times. I've only really built myself up to be a long distance runner this month. Day 2 consists of speed and strength training I'll run about 7 miles of incline and sprinting on the tredmill with jogging in between the incline and sprinting. I'll then go on to do a bit of lifting but not too much as its so boring.

I rarely have a day off and repeat these two types of training over and over. But do I do enough to be taking in high protein intakes for it to help tone me? Or am I adding u needed calories? I currently use isolate protein which is 90% protein per 30g and drink 3 shakes a day.
If you want to become more toned a possible recommendation rather than running 13 miles would be to turn it into a HIIT run. Scientifically it is proven to burn more calories and is more effective than just a complete long distance run. For a HIIT run you could start by jogging for 5 mins then work at a high intensity for 4 mins. Time yourself. Once those four mins are up rest for 3 by walking or jogging and keep cycling this over and over. It wont be easy but it will be more time effective than a long distance run.

Also try not to be so reliant on protein shakes for your protein intake. Maybe drink less of them and replace it with high protein foods such as chicken, fish and tuna. Some other recommendations would be yoghurt and almonds. Eating well is important too, a protein shake will not suddenly make u toned everything takes time.

Other than that good luck on your grind
georgia.mb04
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
The first mistake lots of people make is that protein shakes work suddenly which they do for recovery. Drink your protein shake within half an hour of finishing your training to first boost your recovery. You need to then also incorporate rest days into your routine for full recovery and this is the period where adaptation takes place which is what makes your muscles bigger. Another mistake many people make is eating lots and lots of protein or drinking really high percentage protein shakes. This is because your body will only absorb so much protein and then you will just excrete the rest anyway straight down the toilet. Sorry I’ve only just saw this
Dax_Swagg3r
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by georgia.mb04)
The first mistake lots of people make is that protein shakes work suddenly which they do for recovery. Drink your protein shake within half an hour of finishing your training to first boost your recovery. You need to then also incorporate rest days into your routine for full recovery and this is the period where adaptation takes place which is what makes your muscles bigger. Another mistake many people make is eating lots and lots of protein or drinking really high percentage protein shakes. This is because your body will only absorb so much protein and then you will just excrete the rest anyway straight down the toilet. Sorry I’ve only just saw this
There is no such thing as a protein limit on a meal dw.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (223)
56.03%
I don't have everything I need (175)
43.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise